BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mr T (trialist) Guessing Game

I think Sam would ideally like a big squad so he can rest players. Ellington would be useful in that regard and, you never know, might be an inspirational signing!

Worth a gamble if the terms are right.

his last few clubs have found him anything but useful hence being free on big wages................please lets dodge this, remember how awful the last 'NATHAN' was upfront for us another player who only finds his game at the lower levels.

hopefully he has'nt shown anything in the trial.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You referring to Blake? The same bloke that sent us into delight at Anfield in the cup? Or did you not make that one?!

5th choice - trailist, nothing wrong with it - especially at 28.

Is JAL, vinjay? Very similar posts!

You referring to Blake? The same bloke that sent us into delight at Anfield in the cup? Or did you not make that one?!

5th choice - trailist, nothing wrong with it - especially at 28.

Is JAL, vinjay? Very similar posts!

I enjoyed that night, my Liverpool mates still hate Blake for that.

Anyway, give the lad a break, if Sam things he's worth a punt, and let's be honest it's just time it's costing at the moment, then who are we to judge? BS has the proven record with resurrections and not us.

Also, I actually don't care if he's 4th, 5th or 6th, he's options and cover IF he cuts the mustard!

Let's be honest, Benni is injured a lot, Gally will probably go out on loan or be sold, so another striker would be useful, esp. for early cup rounds.

You never know, might give JR a lift as well, they say it's a confidence game?

N.B. Comparisons with Blobby Fowler are well wide of the mark, Ellington can run for a kick off!

Note to fans: This guy is on T-R-I-A-L. Nothing signed, sealed or delivered. We have a revolving door of trialists over the summer, and Ellington could well prove to be another flunk.

He's a low-risk signing, if anything.

• Backroom

The rumour was that the orginal rumour came from someone seein Ellington at Brockhall.

I don't doubt Nicko's word on this just wondered where the counter rumour started.

Anyone have any stats on Ellington and Roberts as a partnership? From what I gather they played very well together at Bristol and Wigan, could be a shrewd move by Sam and a cheap backup option in case Di Santo is recalled or Gally is sold.

This isn't exactly their stats as a partnership (I don't really know the way to check if they were both playing in the same game), but for the record here are their league stats for the seasons they were both at the same club.

Bristol Rovers 1998-1999 (League 1)

Roberts 37 games, 16 goals

Ellington (Joined in february) 10 games, 1 goal

Bristol Rovers 1999-2000 (League 1)

Roberts 41 games,22 goals

Ellington 37 games, 4 goals

Wigan 2003-2004 (Championship)

Roberts (Joined in January) 14 games, 8 goals

Ellington 44 games, 18 goals

Wigan 2004-2005 (Championship)

Roberts 43 games, 20 goals

Ellington 45 games, 24 goals

Overall (Bearing in mind that for half of a season either Roberts or Ellington wasn't at the club for these stats so obviously not all of the other players goals would have been scored when in the 'partnership' for those seasons.)

Roberts 135 games, 66 goals

Ellington 136 games 47 goals

Free, cheap, young, whatever, all adds up to not good enough !

Some of you out there might fall for it, for me winning premiership football matches is what its all about and thats improving the probability of winning. This is taken away for me if Rovers are going to employ your Nathan Ellingtons of this world.

• 2 months later...

SSN doing a report on Nathan Ellington, they mention his trial at Rovers in the summer and say we are still watching him.

Feature said absolutely nothing - he must have friends on the inside to have got them to run that as a story.

Does seem a strange story, must be a lot of players in the league who are also stuck on the bench but you get a story on them, must be a slow news day, Ellington did say he feels he made an impression on Sam, well if he did surely he would be bench warming here instead of Watford.

Archived