BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mr T (trialist) Guessing Game

When did he improve under Allardyce?

To be fair Shill, I actually thought he did improve towards the end, and that was when he was being used as an outlet, okay, it maybe from an improvement from a comparable low point, but an improvement none the less.

I sit in the BBE Lower with quite a few Gamst haters, even they say he improved under BS.

IS there better out there, yes, def. Personally, I think he needs real competition and BTW, I also rate Koumas, I thought we should have nicked him from Tranmere.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Kalinic and Di Santo likely to be first choice, McCarthy and Roberts are far too expensive to have has backup. Looking around for a cheap 4th choice makes perfect sense, with either McCarthy or Roberts moving on to play regular football. If Ellington can suggest he's good enough in the trial period (if it is him), I'll back Sam's judgement.

Wow, you are quite the warrior when it comes to proving a point.

That was simply because your comment didnt compare his previous supply of assists to the one he might have with us, you only stated mgps recent lack of supply from corners, theres a lot more to both players' game.

Incase i spelt mgp incorrectly and wrote cesc instead than i apologise, but the fact is that i said he will have better delivery and a better strike partner. That in my opinion is the way it is.

If you prefer koumas to mgp than that is your opinion, I dont tell you to ''do us a favour''.

If Roberts has been the best player he has had partner him in his career, and he is according to many our worst first team striker (once DS and Kalinic come in) than he will only find better here.

My point is that at a better team (i.e us) he MIGHT perform better. If he is free or cheap, i dont see the problem.

I dont know what ive said wrong, and I dont think it was a topic that deserved a warrior-type of mentality to make a point.

That was simply because your comment didnt compare his previous supply of assists to the one he might have with us, you only stated mgps recent lack of supply from corners, theres a lot more to both players' game.

Incase i spelt mgp incorrectly and wrote cesc instead than i apologise, but the fact is that i said he will have better delivery and a better strike partner. That in my opinion is the way it is.

If you prefer koumas to mgp than that is your opinion, I dont tell you to ''do us a favour''.

If Roberts has been the best player he has had partner him in his career, and he is according to many our worst first team striker (once DS and Kalinic come in) than he will only find better here.

My point is that at a better team (i.e us) he MIGHT perform better. If he is free or cheap, i dont see the problem.

I dont know what ive said wrong, and I dont think it was a topic that deserved a warrior-type of mentality to make a point.

Strikers, Central defenders and central midfielders, work very much in pairs, they either hit it off or they dont, Shearer enjoyed playing with Newell rather than Sutton, I watched Berg and Short have an immense season at Rovers, they worked so well together and over the years, Metcalfe and Parkes in midfield were a great pairing as they understood each others game, it depends, just like a good marriage on the chemestry between the two, if it isnt there, you will struggle to put it there!!!

Strikers, Central defenders and central midfielders, work very much in pairs, they either hit it off or they dont, Shearer enjoyed playing with Newell rather than Sutton, I watched Berg and Short have an immense season at Rovers, they worked so well together and over the years, Metcalfe and Parkes in midfield were a great pairing as they understood each others game, it depends, just like a good marriage on the chemestry between the two, if it isnt there, you will struggle to put it there!!!

Agreed. Funnily enough many people commented last season on how well Grella and Dunn played when paired with each other.

Pity it was only for about 2 and a half games however....

With Kalinic and Di Santo likely to be first choice, McCarthy and Roberts are far too expensive to have has backup. Looking around for a cheap 4th choice makes perfect sense, with either McCarthy or Roberts moving on to play regular football. If Ellington can suggest he's good enough in the trial period (if it is him), I'll back Sam's judgement.

I think you raise a valid argument about keeping Roberts and McCarthy happy - but this is further complicated by Di Santo being only a 6 month loan. Could leave us in a very ackward position come January if we let Roberts or McCarthy go. I suppose it is a managers job to keep as many players happy as possible - better to be in that position than have Samba as your main striker though B)

The ones that stuck in mind were Faz and Keeley

Shearer liked playing with Newell over Sutton because of personal reasons. It wasn't to do with football.

Shearer liked playing with Newell over Sutton because of personal reasons. It wasn't to do with football.

Of course it was to do with football. Shearer liked playing with Newell because he played as the target man and allowed Shearer more space and to get into the box more. Shearer and Sutton played off each other with probably Shearer playing the target man more often than not.

Totally off topic, but then it's hardly going anywhere is it...

Of course it was to do with football. Shearer liked playing with Newell because he played as the target man and allowed Shearer more space and to get into the box more. Shearer and Sutton played off each other with probably Shearer playing the target man more often than not.

Correct!!

Ellington played ever so well with Roberts, I just cant get my head round why he suddenly faded, was awesome at Bristol Rovers, had pace and scored,

same at Wigan!!

Shearer liked playing with Newell because he was his mate. If it was about what was good for the team he would have wanted to play with Sutton because Shearer and Sutton were better than Shearer and Newell.

Sorry for going off topic, as you say DP, it's not going anywhere is it...

Maybe you should have as it has been established that it is Ellington on trial

Has it? Not to my knowledge.

A poster named Dudley was the one to suggest Ellington being given a trial and Nicko replied, winking, asking if Dudley was the pseudonym of BFS.

This confirmed Ellington is correct.

5th choice striker? you'll have to remind what the point of the academy is. Signing chronically useless journeymen so they can play the league cup games.

i know its only a trial, but i would really have expected his agent to get a swift thanks but no thanks.

He is only on trial. How many trialists do we have during transfer windows? upwards of 10/15 maybe? If he comes he'd be a back up to the back ups. No harm really. If an offer came in for Gally anywhere in the region of £1m plus Id take it without pausing for breath, and would take somebody like Ellington on board. He'd do a job as long as we dont have to rely on him. Same could be said for Gally as well.

Looks like Hoilett will be around 5th-6th then if we bring in another striker. :unsure: oh well guess he will get a few sub appearances.

From what I have seen of Hoilett (admittedly limited) I wouldn't really consider him a candidate for playing as one of two centre forwards. He is reasonably quick but not Bellamy quick and isn't all that strong either (and a bit short). He is much more likely IMO to play as a wide attacker in a 4-3-3/4-5-1 if we happen to play that way or hopefully pushing Diouf and Pedersen for their places.

5th choice striker? you'll have to remind what the point of the academy is. Signing chronically useless journeymen so they can play the league cup games.

i know its only a trial, but i would really have expected his agent to get a swift thanks but no thanks.

5th choice over Gallagher.

Sell Gallagher for the fee that is being banded about (£1.6m) - and probably get Ellington in for the same, if not less wages.

Hoilett wont be used as a striker this season, he will be used more from wide im sure.

As for a loan - can we take another loan from an English team?!

Archived