BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ewood Area

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone going to the fans forum, could they ask the club to tidy up all those bannners that need either replacing, rehanging, or just generally tidying up in the Ewood area for saturday please.

Oh, plus, could they plant some hedging along the border of were they took down the church and school.

First impressions for anyone visiting Ewood.

I live in Ewood, have held a season ticket for 20 years now but would not really want some sort of blue and white bunting parade all over my street. It would be fine if it could go up and down on a matchday or in the week before a major game but it would probably look rather crass as a permanent decor when the only people around are old Mrs Olga going for her nails done and Jimmy McSwiggin staggering out of the Fox and Hounds. I bought the house knowing I would get 20 days a year of traffic, noise, people peeing in my back alley and the occasional beercan tossed over my wall. However 365 days of disneyland outside would be a bit ridiculous.

That may make me a NIMBY kind of person, but I'm sure more home owners living elsewhere wouldn't want someone to come on there street and start decorating it like a blue and white Mad Hatters tea party. The club/council have never done it before so why should I buy the house expecting that this would happen just because it's close to the club. You don't buy a house near a McDonalds and expect in 10 years you will have little golden arches on top of every lampost.

For the record I like the current flags and banners as a low key piece of advertising but lets not go overboard with the blue and white mile ideas. Just tidy up the ones that are sagging.

They're called 'NIMBY's... 'Not in my back yard' for anyone who doesn't know what that means. It happens all over, people buy a house next to an established race track and then complain when they hear cars, bikes etc racing around. There'll be a few like that around Ewood but if you buy a house there, what do you expect?

spot on mate we live outside the ground and my mum is always complaining about rovers ive pointed out each time that she has only been here about 30 years and rovers were already here when she bought the house , she replies yes but they were in the 3rd division then with not many fans ..............

Also love the idea of the road being painted blue n white if we extend it through to Darwen and Accy and call the blue half a bus lane that saves 50 million quid job done and everyone is happy :rolleyes:

Like Hasta, i too live in the Ewood vicinity.

I don`t mind the club (or council) wanting to spruce up the area & advertise our great football club. I thought the lamp post banner/flags looked quite good when they went up, but agree they now look a bit tired & tatty. I also think painting the area blue & white is going a bit far.

I think everybody would probably agree that Blackburn Rovers have made the town of Blackburn a lot more recognisable around the world & the club attracts a lot of visitors to the area during the season. I like the idea of maybe the club expanding on the lamp post banner thing & maybe using them to advertise up-&-coming events at Ewood or in the town itself.....but please don`t leave the banners up until they rot & fall down. Surely it wouldn`t cost much to maintain the small area involved. Bolton Rd is a busy main road & done correctly (& tastefully) could prove a useful resourse for Rovers to get their advertising message across to the general public.

Points taken.

A few good quality banners on lamp posts with honours/legends etc would make the place look better, have the powers that be not noticed these tatty banners when driving into Ewood?

They could also do more on the land they own just outside the stadium, make it more Rovers like with pictures on the walls etc etc.

But then again they've to pay the players wages so possibly couldn't commit to such an outlay in the current financial climate ;)

Points taken.

A few good quality banners on lamp posts with honours/legends etc would make the place look better, have the powers that be not noticed these tatty banners when driving into Ewood?

They could also do more on the land they own just outside the stadium, make it more Rovers like with pictures on the walls etc etc.

But then again they've to pay the players wages so possibly couldn't commit to such an outlay in the current financial climate ;)

Getting the council to take care of flags and hanging baskets in the current climate would be difficult. Especially with more cuts coming and other cuts starting to bite. But if you had a few Rovers supporters who would commit their own time and skills to sprucing up the area, then you may get somewhere.

But I also believe that supporters as well as the club has to engage the local residents more. Ask them what would they like in the area etc. After all just because somebody lives at Ewood, does not mean they like football or Rovers. It would also be those people you have to convince first and foremost. Comments on here about beer cans etc landing in peoples gardens - if the owner of that property is not a lover of football or Rovers - they'd not be happy to promote the club. But if people after a match day were willing to donate time to help clear up the mess etc caused by some supporters after a match, that would help to get them on board. But we all now people would not want to do that.

I do believe that is the situation we are in today, with all these govenment and council cuts. To spruce up the area around ewood park - to promote the club a little bit more - it would have to be done by people, with the various permissions permitted etc, giving their own time and skills to do it.

Archived