BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Man City Preview

Another one 'Greco', just like the cafe in the shopping centre serving up shyte.

Their sausage T Cakes in the 70's were legendary and my staple Sat lunch. Rest of the week centred around the amazing ham,cheese and pineapple T cakes in the refreshment bar!

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone else disappointed at all the people leaving five minutes early? Even in the BBE lower people were streaming out at 0-1

So easy to remedy if only the powers that be at BRFC would care to view the match from other parts of the ground instead of the directors box. Simply keep the gates shut at the bottom until full time whilst opening the gates at the back of the stand during the 2nd half.

Easy peasy.......... next.

I'd strongly argue that you see far more from live television coverage than you would actually seeing the game in the flesh. You see from more angles and you have the benefit of action replays on contentious issues.

Not really aimed at you Fife, but those in this thread saying that the opinions of someone who viewed the game on television/online as worthless or inferior to someone who went to the game are completely wrong.

Thats very wrong. The overall match impression can only be accurately gained from being there live anf thats that. BUT Contentious issues are better from sloMo fore sur and they can be seen after on any number of sources. I cannot imagine it'll be long btw before much more Slo Mo replays are shown on the big screen. In a time where bums on seats are diminishing it's a very imp part of the entertainment, and as soon as referees get video assistance there will be no need to ban it.

Brilliant Alan, and have you noticed no post since he got 'found out' :lol::lol:

Well hello. Just back from work. Probably an alien concept to someone named "adopted scouser", but there it is. (I can do insults too. Aren't I big?)

I watched the game online yesterday, as I'm sure many others did. Including those who were also posting during the game. I guess all our opinions are totally invalid? As much as you'd love to think so, that's nonsense and you know it.

The spectre of Sam Allardyce has been hanging over this club since last summer. Part of the reason Ince was appointed was due to the omniprescent "anyone-but-Allardyce" vitriol at the time. I've no idea what Ince said or did in his interview to impress, but it's clear he was nowhere near ready for top flight football management (as should have been indicated during the coaching badges fiasco, but hindsight is 20/20). Regardless, Allardyce is here, and we are now being subject to the "style" of ugly, percentages football he has peddled throughout his career. Some fans are unhappy with this. Deal with it. Others are content to ignore it, kid themselves that it's not like that, the style is evolving, it's something more... I guess Bolton 2005 were a great team to watch?

The basis of this whole debate lies in Style vs Results. It appears that many fans would prefer to just have a simple scoreline in their favour on a Saturday, rather than be entertained by 90 minutes of skillful attacking play by professional footballers. Here's my key point - with this approach we will certainly not be good to watch, but also unlikely to get many scorelines in our favour. It's so outdated, one-dimensional and dependent on luck that I'm struggling to think of any Premier League teams who we will turn over. Other managers know Allardyce and know his approach, and given the weakness of our midfield teams will play through us, much like Man City yesterday. On the subject of the midfield:

I don't know why everyone is on about getting a creative midfielder, honestly there are very few of them out there. We were blessed to have Tugay for so long but really how many teams outside the top 4 actually have one? Cahill is about the only one to spring to mind and he ain't THAT creative. All the "creative" midfielders all belong to the Big 4, we can't afford them let alone tempt them to come to Ewood.

Tugay was exceptional, and players like him are obviously not a dime a dozen. But I think what we're looking for is a GOOD midfielder - any decent player for the middle of the park has a spark of creativity about him, or at least the ability to keep the ball.

There are options, and there have been all year. There are players who have joined other teams in the Premier League who would have been assets to our squad: Milijas (Wolves, £2.5m), Jiminez (West Ham, loan), Jordi Gómez (Wigan, £1.7m), Christ - even Barry Ferguson (Birmingham, £1.5m), Sean Davis (Bolton, free) or Boudewijn Zenden (free). Those are just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more, not to mention transfers between clubs in Europe.

You can say that the manager has had his hands tied financially, but our deficiency in centre-midfield has been obvious since before Allardyce was appointed. Now he has had time and money to "build his team", and he's done nothing.

As I say, I hope I'm very wrong, but I can only foresee this season being as bleak and depressing as last year. We shall see.

I think that is what riles a section of our support, albeit a minority. With no pace, guile or dribbling ability on the wings and no-one in central midfield who can run past players or get beyond the frowards, we are completely unable to create chances through what many people regard as the epitomy of good football. Even when we were in the lower leagues, we always had a player or two who could do some of those things at the level we were at.

Yesterday was OK in that we were in the game until right at the end, so we always had a puncher's chance, but I cannot think of a single move or bit of skill that would have stuck in my mind on the walk up Heys Lane other than Given's save from Samba's header - the only save I thought was beyond the norm.

I'm expecting to see some serious skill from Kalanic given what we paid and also from DiSanto from Nicko's gushing praise, but I'm not sure they will get much opportunity to show it other than from knockdowns.

I think the long ball game is fresh in our minds cos it increased as the second half wore on. Our football in the first half was much better. From the rain coming early in the 2nd half and onward we were 2nd best and resorted to playing long. I hope it wasn't our overall fitness to blame but it looked that way to me. If that is the case it is bad news. Fitness costs nowt and is one thing that every player no matter how good or how poor should strive to attain. General fitness to a team in our position is a vital commodity. Yesterday the last 20 mins saw Jacobson, N'Zonzi and Diouff visibly tire whilst Roberts looked like he had lead in his boots. His pace and power game had become just power.

Had to wait until today to let the steam settle down. Not angry with the team like some on here just angry at the injustice of the display. Could we have been better, yes of course, but we were OK. Peds I thought was brilliant and my MoM without a doubt, and I'm one of his critics. City had one shot on goal in the first 60 mins and it went in. We were dominant and only got caught at the end because we threw caution to the wind and they broke on us. Lots of good performances from us, to many to mention actually. City had pace to burn so played on the break and that's how they got us.

Obvious problem is in front of goal. Personally I don't care how the ball gets into the box, long, short, carried, dribbled, passed whatever, who cares, what's important is what we do with the ball inside the box. Slow thinking by the forwards and good pressure from good defenders showed us up.

Much to be pleased with, a lot more teams will lose to City this year, we played OK.

Extra steam caused by reading some d!ck in the Mirror this morning saying we were OUTPLAYED and OUTCLASSED. Talk about sucking up to the next biggest kid on the block. Mind numbing. We were beaten and man for man they were better players but really, what match was he watching?

The best impression you get is to sit towards the back centre of the JW upper then you get to watch the replays relayed from the TV gantry back to the journos as well as seeing the match live for yourself.

Having watched live and on TV, watching live beats the TV hands down for getting a real impression of how individual players are doing and how teams are set up tactically.

Their sausage T Cakes in the 70's were legendary and my staple Sat lunch. Rest of the week centred around the amazing ham,cheese and pineapple T cakes in the refreshment bar!

Also helped if you were taking the owner's daughter out, aahh Marie.

Handing over a fiver to pay for your dinner when she was on the till, to get five quids worth of change and a cheeky wink.

Happy days ^_^

There are options, and there have been all year. There are players who have joined other teams in the Premier League who would have been assets to our squad: Milijas (Wolves, £2.5m), Jiminez (West Ham, loan), Jordi Gómez (Wigan, £1.7m), Christ - even Barry Ferguson (Birmingham, £1.5m), Sean Davis (Bolton, free) or Boudewijn Zenden (free). Those are just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more, not to mention transfers between clubs in Europe.

You can say that the manager has had his hands tied financially, but our deficiency in centre-midfield has been obvious since before Allardyce was appointed. Now he has had time and money to "build his team", and he's done nothing.

As I say, I hope I'm very wrong, but I can only foresee this season being as bleak and depressing as last year. We shall see.

Great choices I don't think, and nothing better than what we have on the treatment table eating big wages all day right now. Also Ferguson was only average at best in his bloody prime ffs and Zendens past it. Course you'd not know that sat behind some 14" lap top would you? The deficiency in midfield has been there for years. We have never had two well suited, top players together at one time for very long since goodness knows when.

As for your last sentence you can always switch off and play Premiership manager can't you? BRFC is making nothing out of you to spend on your fantastic list of possibles so unless yoiu are in Australia or similar you hardly have a right to comment have you?

I'd strongly argue that you see far more from live television coverage than you would actually seeing the game in the flesh. You see from more angles and you have the benefit of action replays on contentious issues.

Not really aimed at you Fife, but those in this thread saying that the opinions of someone who viewed the game on television/online as worthless or inferior to someone who went to the game are completely wrong.

I hear what you say but would add that someone who only watches games on television can hardly be described as a supporter.

Anyone else disappointed at all the people leaving five minutes early? Even in the BBE lower people were streaming out at 0-1

Whilst I have a proud family history of 80 years of leaving the Riverside early and would like to discuss, this is very much off topic.

Whilst I have a proud family history of 80 years of leaving the Riverside early and would like to discuss, this is very much off topic.

:P

To summarise, I was left extremely frustrated at the end of the game. After the good first half performance, where we bettered City, the second half was somewhat of an anti-climax, as we grew more direct as we got more desperate. I am left optimistic that we can get something at Sundeland, and feel it is probably needed - don't want to start the season playing catch up, especially with the game in hand we are left with.

Once Kalinic and Di Santo get going I can see us picking up points, Roberts was constantly running aimlessly and moaning. And I don't feel confident that should we create a chance, he will put it away, which could be detrimental to the rest of the team.

Think he should be on the bench at Sunderland, as seeing him at the Stadium Of Light will bring back the haunting memory of 'that miss' last year. And, I feel Di Santo has more to offer the team. :rover:

Extra steam caused by reading some d!ck in the Mirror this morning saying we were OUTPLAYED and OUTCLASSED. Talk about sucking up to the next biggest kid on the block. Mind numbing. We were beaten and man for man they were better players but really, what match was he watching?

This'll calm you down a bit..... and hopefully it'll upset the know nowts Spencey and Co at the same time. ;)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/au...manchester-city

Few comments which may/may not have already been said!

Robinson: looks really confident these days and great save from Robinho (I think)

Jacobsen: solid debut, knows what he is doing

Warnock: overall did well, would be quite sad to see him go

Samba: good

Givet: class act

Pedersen: best game I have seen from him for a while

Diouf: found it at points last season, but canbe quite frustrating and sloppy. Would be interesting to see if Sam would drop him as his place has to under threat. Can be very sloppy

Andrews: OK, works hard, but still lacks quality with his distribution of the ball

Nzonzi: decent debut

Mccarthy: frustrating with some of his flicks which did not come off, but it is natural to him. Still possesses genuine quality.

Roberts: creates space and chances for himself but as per usual finishing lets him down

Overall, should not get carried away with the first game, but we looked a decent side and it was very frustrating not to get at least a point. I know people have a go at Sam's direct approach but personally I like it, plus it will get us results which is what its all about!

You make him sound like a stalker Gordon. :D

If you referring to me i went to plenty of games last season and have done for many years. There are plenty of people who for some reason who cannot got to every single game, doesn't make them any less of a supporter or fan of this club. I was responding to some of the egotistical moronic comments in this thread by some posters who refused to accept the opinion of someone else because they didn't go to the game. They can have that viewpoint if they wish, just had to voice my opinion on the matter.

Getting back on topic, did anyone watch the disgraceful coverage on MOTD last night? You would have thought there was only one side playing...

I had a quick look around the ground, hardly a City fan in the home areas from what I could see.

Not as many as i thought there would be but there were 2 sat directly in front of me towards the DE of the JW upper. Didn't disguise themselves very well - applauding the players, miming to Blue Moon and standing up and cheering when they scored the first. The old lady steward supervisor came over to them, asked if they were city fans and would they mind sitting down and not cheering again!! Unbelieveable they weren't thrown out. Things were said at half time to the stewards and eventually were asked to leave. Why this wasn't done straight away I don't know as surely they would have had an idea this would happen and would have had directives given to all the stewards.

If you referring to me i went to plenty of games last season and have done for many years. There are plenty of people who for some reason who cannot got to every single game, doesn't make them any less of a supporter or fan of this club. I was responding to some of the egotistical moronic comments in this thread by some posters who refused to accept the opinion of someone else because they didn't go to the game. They can have that viewpoint if they wish, just had to voice my opinion on the matter.

Getting back on topic, did anyone watch the disgraceful coverage on MOTD last night? You would have thought there was only one side playing...

I rest my case! :rolleyes::lol:

Not as many as i thought there would be but there were 2 sat directly in front of me towards the DE of the JW upper. Didn't disguise themselves very well - applauding the players, miming to Blue Moon and standing up and cheering when they scored the first. The old lady steward supervisor came over to them, asked if they were city fans and would they mind sitting down and not cheering again!! Unbelieveable they weren't thrown out. Things were said at half time to the stewards and eventually were asked to leave. Why this wasn't done straight away I don't know as surely they would have had an idea this would happen and would have had directives given to all the stewards.

No! They didn't! Good grief thats shocking! They should be hung drawn and quartered for having the temerity.:rolleyes:

Bloody hell MB get a life. Thats schoolyard behaviour. <_<

Watch MOTD its so one sided and biased, most of the other media outlets say we had a decent game and were unlucky not to get something. MOTD portrayed it as a completely one sided match, all the footage was of City.

In fairness that's because all the "highlight-worthy" chances were City's. I posed this question earlier and no-one replied - apart from Samba's header from a corner in the first half and the obligatory Roberts sitter in the second half, what chances did we have?

Archived