BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Man City Preview

I dunno, Jisty - Roberts has been doing this his whole career and certainly did it consistently under Hughes. It's so frustrating - if he actually tried to win the ball in the air, he probably would! I haven't watched the game yet - I will do later with my lunch - so I dunno about the one you're referring to just yet.

Funnily enough, as the goals were coming in on SSN, the pundit watching our game mentioned that our set pieces were actually proving very effective, but the City defence was just coping with them very well. I was surprised to hear that, I must admit, as we haven't been able to take set pieces or defend them for four seasons.

Well, perhaps. Hughes could have had the same idea? I don't remember him being this bad for Wigan but I probably didn't see enough of him then in fairness. He's just so bad at it. I'd sooner he just focused on hitting the back of the net rather than the deck. Even my 6 year old lad just calls him 'the donkey' - which is as much my fault! I even tried to convince him that it's time to give Roberts a fresh start (new season and all that) but Jase didn't really help himself yesterday...!

Difficult to agree with the SSN pundit that our set pieces were effective - especially whilst we remained at 'nil' the whole game - and did Diouf ever beat the first man from a corner? The short corner he aimed at a requesting Andrews (immediately following Diouf's applauding of the BBE) was just woeful - ending up being a pass to City. Although for some reason we do seem better at DE corners than the BBE ones.

I'm going to put this game down to being a decent performance against a side who will win a lot more games than they lose this season. It's a shame we couldn't catch them out before they had time to properly gel because, if Hughes can keep them fit (which he is good at), then with the pace they have they are going to be frightening later in the season. If we just had one player with the pace of SWP, Bellamy, Robinho or Adebayor but they have four (at least)!!

I agree with Philip's post earlier. We do need to get some of our decent players back in the side and keep them there regularly.

Shilito, why do you keep typing 'we' and 'us' when referring to Rovers? You're a dingle aren't you? Cracking goal by Jordan, btw.

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Adebayor had played as well as MGP he would have got a 10. Don't put us down because we are a small club. Two of our players were absolutely top drawer. Peds/Givet.

And I think we deserved to win but like I said all last season, Jason Roberts costs us time and time again. We would have more points if we DID NOT play him. We were goodish today. However City were poor (so poor I cannot see them being anywhere near the top 4).

You cannot mark done good performances because we lost. We did not lose because of our midfield. We lost because our strikers failed to score the chances we made.

No no you are being waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too bias.

Your marking as a Rovers fan, which is fine, but 9/10 is given to a player who has had a huge influence in controlling the game. For you to suggest we had three of those is utterly ridiculous.

And to suggest that I'm 'putting us down' by pointing this out is also ridiculous, I though the performance was fine, and I said I think we'll be fine this season. It's just your ratings of the team yesterday are inaccurate, and suggest quite a few players had blinders, which they didn't.

Can someone clarify something for me. Around the 80-85 minue mark I'm sure Benni went down in the box. It looked like he was caught by a city defender and I commented at the time that I was looking forward to seeing a replay of it when i got home.

It wasnt shown on MOTD and it wasnt shown on the extended Sky highlights that I've just downloaded.

Did I imagine it or did it actually happen?

Anything involving McCarthy yesterday would have been in the imagination, he contributed nothing in the entire 90 minutes.

Which is my view but to answer your question more seriously, we sit towards the BBE, just past the penatly area line, in the JW and I can't recall seeing anything which looked like a half decent penalty shout on any of our players. I don't reacll the crowd getting excited about such an incident either.

I thought that we played as well as city did, expect there took there chances.

The differnces in teams doing well or not is , you have to take your chances and for me JR does not do so, yes he can run around and hold the ball up, but he needs to take more of his chances.

Could do with so more midfield players either bring fit or buying in, still all in all good play expect for the result. which I think a draw would of been about right.

Can someone clarify something for me. Around the 80-85 minue mark I'm sure Benni went down in the box. It looked like he was caught by a city defender and I commented at the time that I was looking forward to seeing a replay of it when i got home.

It wasnt shown on MOTD and it wasnt shown on the extended Sky highlights that I've just downloaded.

I thought it was a penalty but when we didn't get it i was wondering whether the defender had got the ball.

If you mean the last ditch challenge on him just as he was about to shoot with his left peg, he got the ball. Had Benni not had his half time pie he would probably have got his shot away. Had it been Jason, at least he would have hit the Blackburn End.

Very disappointed with the size of the crowd yesterday.

These sell outs do not do us any credit.

I was dammed angry at not being able to get my usual pie and a pint at half time due to all the Rovers glory hunter fans.

Let us get back to around the 22,000 mark so us "real fans" can get our half time pick-me-up ;)

The JW was far to full, and the regulars will not stand for this overcrowding.

As for the game: get rid of Roberts, Benni and Andrews. Did Benni get a 1/2 time pie....I bet he did! :rock:

Spot on there. Some newbies in the JW had the Temerity to shout and support the team. Whatever next.

On Topic.....I thought Rovers played fairly well. We were succerpunched. An early lapse and the late second when we were pushing for the equaliser.

Rovers will play a lot worse this season and win.

I wouldn't go as far as to say I was happy with the defeat. But I am a little more confident regarding the forthcoming season.

The side looks capable. The defence in the main solid, never looking weak as under Ince. The midfield perfomed ok even though we are lacking a number of injured players. The forwards did what we know that they always do.......hard working and frustrating.

A good performance and some points in the NE will see us on track.

I thought it was a penalty but when we didn't get it i was wondering whether the defender had got the ball.

A point worth making is that Robinson had fewer saves to make than Given. With decent strikers we would have won. Roberts is a liability in front of goal and McCarthy is just too slow and plays too deep.

Was very happy with effort today, if we can get some players back in we are going to do quite well I feel. Only downer was Roberts and Andrews for me, Roberts is so frustrating because he created so many opportunities for space but just lacked the ability to do anything with skill or poise, Andrews is a tryer but lacks anything creative, would have rathered Tugay still to be here some quality ball on the ground to Benni and another forward would have taken points today

I saw the match on TV. At first it looked like a penalty shout, but the replay clearly showed Dunne took the ball first. There was a valid shout in the first half when Andrews hit Dunne's arm. The ref saw it but claimed Dunne had his arms close to the body, which was probably correct, but you see those given all the time. Esp since the ball would've gone in if not stopped.

if it's the incident where he seemed to be through then someone slid in on him.....I think the linesman had given him offside! shock horror!

Was very happy with effort today, if we can get some players back in we are going to do quite well I feel. Only downer was Roberts and Andrews for me, Roberts is so frustrating because he created so many opportunities for space but just lacked the ability to do anything with skill or poise, Andrews is a tryer but lacks anything creative, would have rathered Tugay still to be here some quality ball on the ground to Benni and another forward would have taken points today

I really don't understand the opinions people regarding of Benni and Roberts. Roberts can't finish but makes things happen. Benni is non-existent unless you put a chance on a plate for him - something our midfield will never do regularly. I've already shown on another thread that from open play they both score at the same rate and that Roberts creates more chances. I'd rather have two new, better strikers but if I had to choose between the two I'd start Roberts every time.

Our club is dying, no money and no skill. KI'm dreading playing the inbreds knuckle draggers, because on yesterdays showing they'll play us off the park.

No money = no skill......yeah. that's obvious. Free transfers and players from lower leagues are not going to be Pele are they.

Burnley may well play us off the park, but we will win.

IF we want a different manager, who do you suggest?

A man with a reputation for "good football"? Paul Ince perhaps?

A point worth making is that Robinson had fewer saves to make than Given. With decent strikers we would have won. Roberts is a liability in front of goal and McCarthy is just too slow and plays too deep.

Exactly and that's why Sam brought in Kalinic and Di Santo.

Agreed - even the highlights showed us more than holding our own but the master analyists couldn't give us any credit. I doubt we'll ever get any as long as Shearer is still sat there.

yet praised the brilliant long throw by delap for the burnley og

thought what they showed of us was looking really good bar the goals obviously, on another day wed have bagged 4

Did you go today? I think I watched a different game. We were embarrassing. Stoke play better football than we do. We are a very poor mans Bolton. It was ALL hopefull half chances created by belting the ball forward. If you think this is good football then good on you, but I've seen more skill in Sunday ###### up football. Our club is dying, no money and no skill. KI'm dreading playing the inbreds knuckle draggers, because on yesterdays showing they'll play us off the park.

If you thought we were "embarrassing" today all I can say is lets have a few more "embarrassing" displays like it. With better finishing we might well have won and certainly deserved a point yesterday. For the majority of the match we matched City's overpriced team. If you think our club is dying now I just wonder what some of you would have done in the early 1970s when we were bottom of the old Third Division. I think there are still a few lingering glory hunters from the Jack Walker days who still can't come to terms with the fact that Blackburn Rovers is a small town club with limited funds.

I thought our performance yesterday was very encouraging and I'm looking forward to seeing more of the same at Sunderland next week. I for one, will judge Sam on results, not the anti-Sam agenda which a small number of "so called" fans seem to display at the drop of a hat. More performances like yesterday, but with better finishing, and I suspect the majority of fans will be very happy.

im amazed that some fans think, that we played well. We totally relied upon gamst and his throws or setpieces, mixed with the odd long pass from robinson.

i can understand that some feel, that the set pieces was entertaining, as i actually agree, but to pretend we "played" football is rather weird.

another thing i do not understand, was sams substitutions. Why on earth keep on playing hoofball, with players like gallagher, hoilett and di santo entering the field. I know di santo has some height, but he isnt exactly built like an ox, and wasnt close to challenging toure or dunne in the air. With such subs coming on, i think sam made a mistake, in not altering our style a little.

take away our set pieces today, and we had nothing. IF some fans enjoy that and want that sort of football, thats certainly their choice, but i will never accept such an approach. ITS BORING AS HELL. As said in a previous post, i know its unrealistic to play like spain or barca, but its certainly possible to mix it up a bit. To totally rely upon a long ball into the oppositions area, and then cross your fingers that somethings comes out of it, isnt my kind of football.

I always wanted to give him a chanc and felt he was treted harshly last season drog. I was at West Brom away when he scored the late goal and had a decent game in my opinion, even then he was slated by many.

Yesterday however, particularly in the second half I thought he was shocking. I didnt really notice him in the first half which isnt a bad thing, he went about his job quietly and didnt put a foot wrong, second half was a different story.

He broke up every attack, unfortunately I'm not talking about City's attacks, I'm talking about ours!!!!

I took in a non league game yesterday to support a mate, so only saw the game on the Sky match last night. But it has pause and rewind, ;)

One break really stick in my mind andrews got the ball from the left side City where all over the other side of the pitch and we had a great chance to get the ball into their final third. All he had to do was hit the ball into the space behind the full back, instead he played it straight to his feet. We're all pushing forward in anticipation of getting the break on and he plays it straight to their fullbacks feet.

Someone phone Roy and tell him we accept. A kiddie from the french second division played better than andrews as much as he tries and has a great attitude he's just not good enough, sory keith.

but to pretend we "played" football is rather weird.

Why on earth keep on playing hoofball,

I can't understand how, if we had 51% possession, we played hoofball.

Logic tells me your 'hoofball' would lead to the other team having more possession.

Perhaps you could enlighten me.

I can't understand how, if we had 51% possession, we played hoofball.

Logic tells me your 'hoofball' would lead to the other team having more possession.

Perhaps you could enlighten me.

wow thats brilliant, we had 51% percent of the ball, then we simply cant have played hoofball and thats just because logic tells you so. Im amazed by your logical reasoning. :lol:

the majority of our play was indeed hoofball, furthermore we relied upon set pieces, with the very very odd attempt, to play our way through. All this, i got from watching the game, not by relying upon, what you might think is logical.

If todays match was a sign of thibgs to come, then I think I'd rather not bother.

OK, on your way then. You can take spencey (7) with you.

Incredible isn't it? It's always those who don't know what they're talking about that have the most to say.

Funny that, I must have imagined those good chances we created from open play.

technically hoofball is a part of the open play, so of course we created a couple through open play.

my point, while exaggerated was, that we relied too much upon set pieces and long passes aimed at their area. While crossing our fingers, that the odd ball would land at a rovers player feet.

if thats the way you like the game, feel free to defend the percentage style as much as you want. Its a style ill never be a fan of.

Archived