BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Man City Preview

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thought we were the better side in patches, worrying lack of pace against the counter attack. Finishing was, as always, our biggest issue. For all the talk of our midfield getting spanked off the park I didn't think they did that poorly considering they're probably our 4th and 5th choice central midfielders.

Jacobsen impressed me marking Robinho. I just know if that was Simpson we'd have seen far more of the superstars runs down the wing. Solid defensively and really got forward with some great runs and crosses, had no idea he was able to be so attacking.

Pedersen was our best player, although faded a little in the second half. Hope this a permanent return to form and the midweek International reminded him what he's capable of.

Warnock was good in patches, but falling over for the first goal was poor.

Givet was dependable as always, Samba was good apart from losing Adebayor for the goal.

Diouf was flashy. As he generally is.

Roberts and McCarthy were ok, was impressed with Roberts work rate. If he could finish he'd be top class, but sadly he can't.

Robbo did some good things but his opposite number was the better goalie today, thought Given had a blinder.

Very frustrating game today, disappointing to let the late goal in too but we'd thrown caution to the wind I suppose.

Some positives to take out of the performance, and I echo the previous comments about how City will struggle to compete with the Big 4, although they showed brief flashes that they have the talent to do so.

Excellent summary of the game.We will play a lot worse and win this season,we didn't deserve that 2-0 scoreline.

Concerns again for me about the quality of our Midfield but thats been an on going issue for too long imo...............

Good crowd today and the reaction of the Rovers fans to us going 1-0 down was encouraging.....where were the 1000's of Citeh fans in home areas? :lol:

What else can you do but play long ball football when you have Andrews and N'Zonzi in midfield?

Some people don't have a clue.

A little harsh on N'Zonzi I feel. He had a decent debut, passed confidently and made some great interceptions. Infinitely better and more confident on the ball than the Axe ever was.

Andrews looked like a less entertaining Savage today. I'd say his performance energetic but ultimately ineffective. As usual.

No need to panic everyone. They had 3 good chances and converted 2, we just didn't have the luck of the bounce today. We matched them pretty much every respect apart from PACE. I think when we have a full squad including Grella, Emerton and Dunn we will be firing on all cylinders.

We lost, but I'm encouraged. It was just one of those days.

Keep the faith. Good to see the crowd swelled too.

EDIT: Oh and for the record I thought Pedersen probably deserved MOTM despite his moon landing attempt. Jacobsen and Nzonzi played well too.

Just back from the game, thought we played well and deserved a draw from the game. Robinson didn't have much to do throughout the game, other than the Robinho shot and pick the ball out the net twice! I thought Andrews was shocking today, asking for the ball then constantly losing the ball, he hasn't got the pace and was running around like a headless chicken most the time. I usually praise Andrews for his performances but today he was shocking and should have been replaced earlier in my opinion. Warnock as well, didn't have his best game in a Blue and White shirt, maybe his heart lies elsewhere, who knows? Should have done better for their first goal, SWP done him too easily, and a great finish by Adebayor. Anyone else notice he wasn't given the captains armband? Maybe a sign to show he may be going...

N'Zonzi had a decent game, winning majority of the headers in midfield, and breaking up play well, however, I did notice that the kid doesn't like running with the ball, each time he gets the ball he releases it straight away. It could be a good thing at times, but I'd really like to see him run at the opposition midfield. Overall a decent debut for the lad.

Jacobsen, well he had a decent debut too, made a few good runs going forward and was impressed by his positioning. However, he did lose the ball to easily and is a bit slow down that side, interesting to see if he will retain his place when Emerton returns.

I thought Pedersen played very well, it was the old Pedersen, coming in from the back post attacking the defender, and majority of the time he won the header. Gave in a few decent balls to and was good to see him get back to his old self. He could be a key player for us this season if he continues to play the way he did.

Finally, Di Santo, didn't really make much of an impact on the game, but from the glimpses that I saw of him, he's good in the air, he went deep a few times to get involved in play, gave a beauty of a cross which no one got on the end of. Certainly looking forward to see more of the lad.

Wasn't expecting anything from the game today once Adebayor's name was on the team sheet however, at half time I was pleasantly surprised. Don't think we deserved to lose but players of quality will always win games.

Lack of a cutting edge in the second half with midfield distribution poor didn't help. Needed a Savage type player to chase the ball down - and a Tugay to pick out the passes (although we all know this is the problem area anyway). Thought Nzonzi did well enough though can't quite work out his role - he doesn't appear to be a 'box to box' player, definitely further forward than a holding midfielder and a million miles away from a playmaker.

Some positives were.

Pedersen - best game I've seen for a long time.

Jacobsen - had a great game until the last 10 mins when he got skinned by Bellamy a couple of time (perhaps lack of fitness) - though we all know that Bellamy is a handfull.

Givet - very solid

Nzonzi - did enough to suggest he's capable.

di Santo - chased down players - looks useful, but no service.

Negatives

Samba was often outmuscled by Adebayor.

Andrews- abysmal - not sure what he contributed and embarrasingly left for dead on many occasions.

Though Diouf was distinctly average - need more down that side.

City fans:

"Carlos Tevez is a blue, he hates Munichs".

Can't say that impressed me, but the Bobby Robson applause was definitely spine tingling, shows the high esteem the man is held in!

Robinson - Did okay, but seemed lost for their second goal. No chance with the first.

Jacobson - Decent, solid if not spectacular. Only negative is his pace, but it isn't too bad.

Samba - Did okay

Givet - As above, him + Samba seemed a bit exposed whenever City countered.

Warnock - Was mixed, some brilliant challenges but his slip for their first was poor.

Diouf - Decent, played okay, nothing much to say really.

Andrews - Anonymous at times, passing was suspect.

N'Zonzi - Was impressed, will benefit from having a more attacking player by his side in the centre.

Pedersen - Was very good, worked hard and put in some good crosses. Only negative that Darwen End air shot.

McCarthy - Mixed bag, looked good but still a bit short of pace. Possibly should have scored.

Roberts - Moaned a lot, ran into people a lot, and even thearatically flung himself claiming an elbow down on the right wing. Poor!

Ditto the comments already said - disagree with the draw aspect - we deserved to have won - if we had converted at least one of the efforts I am certain we would have gone on and won the game.

Simple we lacked creativity and composure - had enough of the ball but not penatrative enough

Citeh - way short of being top 4 but dependent upon how you look at it - didn't play well but won -they where clinical , we just don't see to have a clue in the lasr quarter of the field.

Overall very encouraging though considering the blatant & obvious area we are lacking in. - good debuts from the debutant's, MGP a bit more of what we know he is cappable of.

More confident for the rest of season now.

I didn't see a single City fan stand up in rovers ends when they scored.

You have to look upon city as a top 4 team when you consider their squad, and to say we basically out-matched them for all but 2 goals then I think we can be relatively pleased.

A little harsh on N'Zonzi I feel. He had a decent debut, passed confidently and made some great interceptions. Infinitely better and more confident on the ball than the Axe ever was.

Wasn't meant to be a dig, I know N'Zonzi is full of potential, but that was his first game outside of France's second division - he obviously is nowhere near the level of Man City's midfield yet, so trying to play through that would have ended in disaster.

Thought we were the better side in patches, worrying lack of pace against the counter attack. Finishing was, as always, our biggest issue. For all the talk of our midfield getting spanked off the park I didn't think they did that poorly considering they're probably our 4th and 5th choice central midfielders.

Jacobsen impressed me marking Robinho. I just know if that was Simpson we'd have seen far more of the superstars runs down the wing. Solid defensively and really got forward with some great runs and crosses, had no idea he was able to be so attacking.

Pedersen was our best player, although faded a little in the second half. Hope this a permanent return to form and the midweek International reminded him what he's capable of.

Warnock was good in patches, but falling over for the first goal was poor.

Givet was dependable as always, Samba was good apart from losing Adebayor for the goal.

Diouf was flashy. As he generally is.

Roberts and McCarthy were ok, was impressed with Roberts work rate. If he could finish he'd be top class, but sadly he can't.

Robbo did some good things but his opposite number was the better goalie today, thought Given had a blinder.

Very frustrating game today, disappointing to let the late goal in too but we'd thrown caution to the wind I suppose.

Some positives to take out of the performance, and I echo the previous comments about how City will struggle to compete with the Big 4, although they showed brief flashes that they have the talent to do so.

Agree with a lot of what you've written here Bawler, so I won't go over too many more things.

Frustrating is the perfect word to describe watching this game. Whether it was watching chances missed, or watching Given shut out the few chances we did put on target, it was highly frustrating all around. My biggest annoyance was the wreckless passing not only around the pitch, but aimlessly lobbing and heading it into the box hoping something would happen. Yes it provided some pressure at times but more often then not we were just handing possession back to them on a silver platter.

Positive note, meeting up with Jay, Patrick and James was a lot of fun. Thanks for a good morning out fellas.

It's a bloody good job we aren't Everton fans, I think there would be a rope shortage in Blackburn this evening!

Probably very true! Just been reported on 5 live as well, one commentator was asking for the Samaritans phone number for everton fans.

Really need it now 6-0

As the sun shines in Leyland, I have watched the Newcastle game and noted the current Everton v Arsenal scoreline. I have now managed to digest our own result having pondered on the opening game of the season.

Reading what spencey has written made me chuckle as much as listening to the Burnley result. I think its Kamy who mentioned the prize pillock thing, but kamy I must wholeheartedly agree with you ^_^

The first game of the season is always good to look forward to. The cobwebs are blown away and there are no reasons to stay in the company with the wife on a Saturday afternoon anymore.

As I sank the first of several pints in The Brown Cow I conversed with some City fans and they were actually dreading playing us. They weren't the usual loud and obnoxious lot, they were a good set of supporters, the best part of City's following.

So onto the game. Despite the multi millions outlay by City I really thought we could win or at least give them a game. The team sheet of Rovers didnt compare to City's but I knew, being a Rovers fan that any team put out by Sam Allardyce would at least show some fight.

After two minutes we nearly scored, the ball kicked off the line by Dunne. It looked liked the Rovers were sending a message to the cash laden opposition that you will have to fight for the points. 7 seconds later we were losing 1-0 <_< .

A quick break, a Warnock slip and Adabayor bangs the ball home.

The reaction by the massive crowd for Rovers was encouraging. The efforts of the first half went unrewarded as we strived for the equaliser. It should be noted that for the rest of the first half City didnt have a single shot on target !

The second half was much the same. Rovers treid and should have equalised but the finishing just wasnt there. the gusto in the first half wasnt there at full pelt, BUT, we still had more of the half. City had 1 shot by Robinhood that I recall and the goal by Ireland when the game was being chased.

Rovers were not overrun, they were not outfootballed and they gave a good honest account of themselves.

For me today has shown that our strikers need to put in a little extra training. Finishing training that is.

Benni fluffed two good chances.

Roberts missed a sitter of a header.

di Santo didnt do much wrong.

Overall, I am not thinking of slashing my wrists because we lost. As it stands, there might be multiple suicides in Stanley Park tonight as Everton are losing 6-0. I am happy with the performance of most of the players BUT I do say that there has to be MORE in the form of creativeness and MORE from the front men.

Rovers desperately need a little creativity in the middle. Both Diouf and MGP had good games and some of the crossing was great, but it isnt enough. Rovers need a player that can be the link to the front men.

Rovers look like a solid team and I have no doubt they will perform much better than last years first half of the season.

Robbo - solid performance with not a lot to do.

Jacobson - solid debut and played well. My MOTM.

Givet - solid.

Samba - solid.

Warnock - good performance and NOT one of a player who wants out.

MGP - a different player than last season on show.

Diouf - good performance and crossing can be lethal if we have a striker on the end of them.

NZonzi - could be a player in the making. Not overawed and competed well.

Andrews - I would get carpel tunnel syndrome if I wrote something about him - USELESS.

Roberts - fluffed a quality chance.

Benni - huffed and puffed throughout.

Each of the subs, Junior, di Santo and Gally had little time to affect the game. di Santo has pace and presence and it will be interesting to see what happens when Kalincic is fit and ready to go.

For Mr Williams and Co. The Ewood faithful have responded. A crowd of over 29500 shows around a home turnout of approx 22500. With that in mind we can expect home crowds to be an average of around 25000 or more.

WANTED

CENTRAL BALL PLAYING MIDFIELDER

Gutted that we lost. Rather undeserved in my opinion.

We started and finished badly, but otherwise coped very well with City's multi million pound signings. 2-0 paints a very harsh and unrealistic picture.

In my book first half we dominated absolutely battered them, yet because of a slow start found ourselves trailing by a goal. We should have at least equalised if not gone on to take the lead, and all in all it was a very encouraging half. Defended well, caused problems, and had some good play.

Second half we ran out of steam and didn't get back to dominating as we should have done. City looked dangerous with their pace on the counter and perhaps should have had a second before they did. Having said that we had our chances too, but we really trailed off the last fifteen minutes or so. Even though the second half wasn't vintage rovers, we can still be a tad aggrieved to loose that half as well.

My raitings:

Robbo - 7 perhaps could've done more with the second goal but made several smart saves. comfortable in the air.

Jacobson (sp) - 7 solid at right back, competent but unspectacular, good crossing, but not too brill running forward.

Warnock - 6 some great crunching tackles but played a part in both their goals.

Givet - 7 made some excellent interceptions

Samba - 7 did well defensively, and made a nuscance of himself up front. tired by the end

Andrews - 5 started well but faded. a few good passes but didn't boss the game

N'Zonzi - 5 some nice touches but did little under pressure. didn't break up many attacks

Peds - 7 though he did pretty well, a few good moves from him. if only he had pace

Diouf - 7 was an onfield leader, and did some good interplay but faded from the game. Again would be brilliant if we had pace.

Roberts - 5 huffed and puffed, worked the channels well but not such of an out and out threat.

McCarthy - 7 some good link up play and touches, but sometimes overcomplicates things. He can't be the one to create and score our goals.

Overall my impression of rovers are off todays game:

1) We can play some decent stuff, and create chances - we need to take them.

2) We are lacking a centre mid to really disrupt the opposition.

3) If we had more pace we'd be a lot stronger side.

So all in all not too much new. Frustrating that the hype that is City got away with it today.

Just got back, lovely M6 car fire slowing me down.

I'm happy with todays performance. Going into the game I thought we had a great chance to get 3 points and I'm gutted we didn't take them.

Big money on a very good striker won the game. The Warnock slip and a fantastic finish did for us. The second was just a by product of us pushing for a deserved equaliser.

Robinson: Thought he may have done better for the first but to be fair it was struck very well. Looks solid claiming balls in the air.

Jacobson: Very good game, some very good defending and attacking overlapping. Got unlucky with a few flicks and headers that he would probably get away with against lesser opposition.

Samba: Solid game, caught out on a couple of occassions by Adebayor, but it happened last time against him as well. Played very well when pushed forward, his touch is amazing.

Givet: That tackle on SWP when he was through on goal was world class and I very quickly remember why I rated him so highly last season. Brilliant! Man of Match

Warnock: At fault for the first, a couple of nervy moments but some fantastic crunching tackles.

Diouf: Not bad but his crossing needs work! Caused trouble when he linked up with Jacobson.

Andrews: Awful. I was a fan last season but he looked lost out there today.

N'Zonzi: Fast, good tackler, marked players that MGP and Diouf should have had. Passing seems good over 10 yards but seemed to struggle when trying to pass further.

MGP: Good throw ins and work rate. Crossing and Free Kicks still need work. He also needs to pick up players when he tracks back, rather than mark the space in between CB and LB.

Roberts: Good work rate, made a couple of chances for himself but he still can't finish.

McCarthy: Lacked service. Work rate was better early doors but dropped in the second half.

Di Santo: Fantastic. He ran his heart out and tried to get BBE going. Start him next time out!

Gally: CM? Whats that about?

Hoilett: Not enough time on the pitch to judge his ability, he is small though!

Conclusion:

Kalinic had better be a good finisher.

We need a CM!!!

Don't think we can draw any real conclusions from today, the overall level of performance was a lot better than I was expecting after pre season BUT we conceded a sloppy goal after only 2 mins, a relatively sloppy second at the end and tbh Roberts and McCarthy were so poor in terms of finishing we wouldn't have scored if we'd played until this time next week. The failure to convert chances has to change,whatever the personnel, or we'll be in big trouble.

Our football generally under Sam is still far too much hit and hope and hope something breaks our way for my liking. I simply can't see that working a lot of weeks.

The main positive for me was the performance of Nzonzi, I thought he was superb considering his age and the fact it was his debut. Conversely I have to disagree with most posters about Jacobsen, I thought he looked poor.

I also thought Givet had a blinder, as for the established players I thought they carried on exactly the same as they performed last season. I'm amazed people thought MGP played well, for me it was a case of same old same old for him and Diouff, didn't think either showed anything much. Warnock showed he must not be sold.

Gallagher looked lively and inventive when he came on and I think we have to find a way of accomodating him to give us one or two more creative options.

On today's performance taken in isolation, Roberts and McCarthy didn't look good enough and we're going to be heavily reliant on at least one of Kalinic/Di Santo turn out to be a bit special. On the other hand if we can get one of Dunn/Grella/Reid permanently fit alongside Nzonzi, that might start looking like a half competent midfield.

Today was never going to be a game we'd get much out of, next week at Sunderland is the litmus test, we need to show we can go there, compete, and come away with at least a draw otherwise it's likely to be a desperately hard campaign.

Just home now, i've defended Andrews in the past but what the hell was that performance about. 4 times in the second half he ruined promising breaks by making a complete hash of things. His cross ball pass which went clean out of play summed things up

woefull performance from him to be fair.

Thought jacobsen did very very well. Thought we looked the better teM for

long periods but couldn't finish. Lots of positives to take from it.

I thought that there were a huge number of positives to take from today's game. Jacobsen looked very sound at right-back. He looks a proper defender like Givet, who was another who looked good today. I was surprised at how well N'zonzi did on his debut. I thought he showed a great deal of promise and handled the game very well. Pedersen had his best game for a long time. He looked like the player who we remember from a few years ago. High work rate, good in possession and did a huge amount of tracking back. I also thought that Diouf got through a huge amount of work on the opposite flank.

In attack I was very impressed with Benni. He showed a greater appetite for the game and was very unlucky not to score with his free-kick in the second half.

As hard as Roberts worked, his inability to finish is really causing us problems. He gets through a lot of work, makes excellent runs but isn't clinical enough in front of goal.

I agree with those who felt Andrews was disappointing in midfield. At the moment he is simply giving the ball away too much.

I also thought Gally looked good again when he came on.

Although disappointed by the result I am hugely encouraged by the performance. We played some decent stuff and against other sides I feel sure we will come away with the points. Look at the budgets of both sides. For long periods of the first half we were by far the better team.

Have to disagree with some of the comments on Andrews to be honest, I thought he did his job well and his ball winning was one of the main reasons rovers were on top for large parts.

Someone said Diouf had a good game above and his crossing would be lethal with someone on it. I thought he was the worst player on the pitch for us today, and can't wait for Emerton to get back.

Have to disagree with some of the comments on Andrews to be honest, I thought he did his job well and his ball winning was one of the main reasons rovers were on top for large parts.

Someone said Diouf had a good game above and his crossing would be lethal with someone on it. I thought he was the worst player on the pitch for us today, and can't wait for Emerton to get back.

Diouf's corners are abysmal, even by Rovers' standards.

Archived