BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Man City Preview

Thought we were the better side in patches, worrying lack of pace against the counter attack. Finishing was, as always, our biggest issue. For all the talk of our midfield getting spanked off the park I didn't think they did that poorly considering they're probably our 4th and 5th choice central midfielders.

Jacobsen impressed me marking Robinho. I just know if that was Simpson we'd have seen far more of the superstars runs down the wing. Solid defensively and really got forward with some great runs and crosses, had no idea he was able to be so attacking.

Pedersen was our best player, although faded a little in the second half. Hope this a permanent return to form and the midweek International reminded him what he's capable of.

Warnock was good in patches, but falling over for the first goal was poor.

Givet was dependable as always, Samba was good apart from losing Adebayor for the goal.

Diouf was flashy. As he generally is.

Roberts and McCarthy were ok, was impressed with Roberts work rate. If he could finish he'd be top class, but sadly he can't.

Robbo did some good things but his opposite number was the better goalie today, thought Given had a blinder.

Very frustrating game today, disappointing to let the late goal in too but we'd thrown caution to the wind I suppose.

Some positives to take out of the performance, and I echo the previous comments about how City will struggle to compete with the Big 4, although they showed brief flashes that they have the talent to do so.

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although it was only pre-season we couldn't manage a goal in 180 minutes against sub-standard scottish teams so today was no real suprise. Of course its encouraging that we gave them a damn good game but the lack of goals is seriously concering. Kalinic may not have chance to 'get up to speed'..we need him now!

I'm going to have to take issue with this too... In that game City had FAR more chances than we did - they moved the ball quickly and effectively, and took on players at the right times to carve out openings.

Our version of "creating chances" involves lumping the ball "into the mixer" and have it bumbling around in the hope that a body in blue and white gets their toe on it. At NO stage during that match did we create space for goalscoring opportunities, it was all about percentages. Head tennis until the ball drops to someone like...Jason Roberts.

This is Allardyce's Blackburn.

:lol: We really are in the playground now. I guess your Dad could beat up my Dad...?

Que? If City had half the chances we did they would have won 10-0. Take Ireland's goal for example - every other minute we were in the box with Given beaten and only waiting for someone to strike it hard in the net. But every time either City blocked it or we missed the target.

Complete inability to finish our chances cost us the game.

How many of those efforts were set pieces? How many were fashioned by a pass? And how many were the result of pinball?

I'm confident you'll find the vast majority are the latter.

:lol: :lol: You are quite something. Does it matter how chances are created?! Even when someone proves you wrong you argue till you're blue in the face because you can't admit you're wrong. Shall we give Allardyce £100m to spend and see how he does?

How many of those efforts were set pieces? How many were fashioned by a pass? And how many were the result of pinball?

I'm confident you'll find the vast majority are the latter.

Pretty sure any chance is a chance Spencey and that you've changed tact from your original point. Were our chances as pretty as theirs? No. But as the saying goes, don't tell me about the labour pains, just show me the baby.

Thought we were the better side in patches, worrying lack of pace against the counter attack. Finishing was, as always, our biggest issue. For all the talk of our midfield getting spanked off the park I didn't think they did that poorly considering they're probably our 4th and 5th choice central midfielders.

Jacobsen impressed me marking Robinho. I just know if that was Simpson we'd have seen far more of the superstars runs down the wing. Solid defensively and really got forward with some great runs and crosses, had no idea he was able to be so attacking.

Pedersen was our best player, although faded a little in the second half. Hope this a permanent return to form and the midweek International reminded him what he's capable of.

Warnock was good in patches, but falling over for the first goal was poor.

Givet was dependable as always, Samba was good apart from losing Adebayor for the goal.

Diouf was flashy. As he generally is.

Roberts and McCarthy were ok, was impressed with Roberts work rate. If he could finish he'd be top class, but sadly he can't.

Robbo did some good things but his opposite number was the better goalie today, thought Given had a blinder.

Very frustrating game today, disappointing to let the late goal in too but we'd thrown caution to the wind I suppose.

Some positives to take out of the performance, and I echo the previous comments about how City will struggle to compete with the Big 4, although they showed brief flashes that they have the talent to do so.

Most accurate review of the game imo

I am very proud to be a Rover tonight. All the money they spent and they only scored 2 goals. Fantastic performance by Rovers, but obviously some things need to be worked on. Namely keeping their eye on the game for the full 90+ minutes. Pedersen deserved man of the match, he was back to his best. Come on Rovers.

I'm going to have to take issue with this too... In that game City had FAR more chances than we did - they moved the ball quickly and effectively, and took on players at the right times to carve out openings.

Our version of "creating chances" involves lumping the ball "into the mixer" and have it bumbling around in the hope that a body in blue and white gets their toe on it. At NO stage during that match did we create space for goalscoring opportunities, it was all about percentages. Head tennis until the ball drops to someone like...Jason Roberts.

This is Allardyce's Blackburn.

:lol: We really are in the playground now. I guess your Dad could beat up my Dad...?

I think the stats disprove what you have said above, do you need me to put the quote in caps for you? ;)

jacobsson is the weakest player on the pitch unfortunately.

What ??!!!??

Jacobsson I thought should have been given MoM. Super debut from him and kept Robinho and Bellamy quiet when he was up against them.

Thats more like it. I thought he had a great game.

We played well imo.

There will be some positives to take the from the game and at the same time negatives. For one thing i think Sam will be worried by our inability to put away chances, we seem to be creating them but just can't seem to convert them. He mentioned during pre-season that it was a problem and it still needs resolving.

For me we have to drop Roberts, lets say we play a game where its 0-0 and there is is 10 mins to go and there is a great opportunity to put it away the last person you want on the pitch is Roberts. For all the teamwork and workrate he brings his finishing ability is shocking, in most games we won't create many chances so we have to take them when they come.

Wonder if Sam might introduce Kalinic earlier than previously planned after today's abject performance up front.

He is already worried - here is his quote from a recent LET article:

He said: “If you are a finisher, you are a finisher and you have to finish them. It is a bit of worry but the good thing is they are creating chances.

“We know we are not going to score a lot of goals in the Premier League because we don’t spend the money on strikers like everyone else does.

“That usually determines what position you finish in the league but if we get two strikers who score 10 or more we will finish in the top half or better.

“If we don’t we will finish in the bottom half and if we miss a load and they only score three or four we will struggle. That is the difference between putting the ball in the back of the net or not.”

http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/sport/45...iller_instinct/

Roberts fails the test in my opinion. Benni can be brilliant but we will have to wait and see if he can gel with the new guys. We had enough chances to win this game..........so much depends on Kalinic and Di Santo.

I think the stats disprove what you have said above, do you need me to put the quote in caps for you? ;)

You do know that Pedersen's attempt at putting the ball into orbit counts as a "shot on goal", right?

Statistics are like mini-skirts, they give you good ideas but hide the most important parts.

We deserved what we got today simply because we didn't take our chances. Simple rule in football really.

We played well today and a few performances I would like to point out.

Pedersen - better than most of his performances last season, he did well today.

Jacobsen - a decent right back who looked comfortable coming forward, Hughes spotted that robinho wasn't doing his bit and stuck bellamy on to him.

N'zonzi - he looked fairly decent today, I was pleasantly surprised by his performance.

Benni - looked as fit as I can remember him and always wanted the ball. Won more in the air than I thought he would against toure and dunne.

Samba - looked a little shaky at time and givet stepped in tonhelp his mate on several occasions.

Givet - see above, very accomplished performance.

Robinson - superb again, becoming a good habbit for him.

You do know that Pedersen's attempt at putting the ball into orbit counts as a "shot on goal", right?

Statistics are like mini-skirts, they give you good ideas but hide the most important parts.

so is that what happened? 18 shots were Mgp throwing balls into the box classed as shots,or are you making things up and dressing them up as facts again

Just like you FFS!

You are ruining your own argument and still have your blinkers on.

You are definitely a glass half empty guy when it comes to rovers, just be thankful we are not Southampton, Leeds, a n other.

Archived