BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Man City Preview

Thought today was really encouraging. MGP was everywhere and deserved MOTM, let's hope it's a benchmark. Defensively we were solid apart from a couple of blips when the pace went in. Midfield looked stronger than I was anticipating pre return of Dunn, Reid et al but Nzonzi showed a lot of promise. I'm not actually one of the Andrews is poor brigade but today...................second half especially, he was shocking. Even the simple passes were going astray, it was the only really depressing aspect of our perfornce for me. Must do better, if we were setting up a bit more quality for the frontmen we'd be fine, even Jason Roberts had a couple of moments that suggest he can play a part this year. Sunderland will be the real test but this today was generally heartening stuff.

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have to disagree with some of the comments on Andrews to be honest, I thought he did his job well and his ball winning was one of the main reasons rovers were on top for large parts.

The full game is just starting on Sky... don't want to start another Andrews argument but take another look if you can.

He is the worst player i've seen at Ewood for 20 years.

The full game is just starting on Sky... don't want to start another Andrews argument but take another look if you can.

He is the worst player i've seen at Ewood for 20 years.

I am watching yes. Im not saying he is a worldbeater but he gets through a lot of work and him and N'Zonzi made Barry and Ireland look very very ordinary up until the last 20 mins.

Got to say I was pleasantly surprised today after seeing the abysmal performance at Hillsborough a couple of weeks ago. We competed well are can count ourselves unlucky not to take a point out of the game.

Its plain for everyone to see we need a creative midfield player, but even with a bulging war chest they don’t come easy and that’s a real problem area for us.

I’ll single N'Zonzi for praise, he looks like he might just be a find given time.

Givet is a talent and great buy by the manager.

MGP worked his socks off today but in the wrong areas. He spends most of his time defending, as an attacking force he’s non existent.

Onwards and upwards I say.

Just a side note which may amuse a few:

Mate of mine from work came with me today, asking my son who his favourite player was, his reply Diouf! ;)

Got to say I was pleasantly surprised today after seeing the abysmal performance at Hillsborough a couple of weeks ago. We competed well are can count ourselves unlucky not to take a point out of the game.

Its plain for everyone to see we need a creative midfield player, but even with a bulging war chest they don’t come easy and that’s a real problem area for us.

I’ll single N'Zonzi for praise, he looks like he might just be a find given time.

Givet is a talent and great buy by the manager.

MGP worked his socks off today but in the wrong areas. He spends most of his time defending, as an attacking force he’s non existent.

Onwards and upwards I say.

Just a side note which may amuse a few:

Mate of mine from work came with me today, asking my son who his favourite player was, his reply Diouf! ;)

Agreed on the Pedersen point. which in turn means Benni and Roberts were finding themselves going to collect balls on the wings leaving the middle sparsely populated.

Now had time to digest - the game and my curry.

After 15 years going to the same place in Adlington I need to find a new place to spend the thousands of my spice pounds after two consecutive poor meals..............

................However I have no reason to find a new football team to support.

We lost, yes ...........But I feel confident about this season.

When was the last time that Ewood was in such good voice despite the fact that we spent over 90 minutes behind on the score sheet?

Nice to see Ewood near to capacity.

I sit in JW lower central and the folk around me were actually singing!! - My son could hardly believe it.......

..............and there were no Citeh infiltrators around us.

Lets face it - any of the Citeh players would be our best player if they were on our books - the bit part player Bellarmie ripped us to bits at times - was one of my favorites when at Ewood...........

But we were solid and performed well as a unit - and we will only improve as injured players return and new players bed in.

When was I last so exited by a young prospect as I am by N'Zonzi??

Would I rather be a Citeh or a Rover?? Was my worst ever year as a supporter the dismal season after we won the league??

No comparison - the football God is back in His heaven and all is well with the world........

ROVERS...ROVERS...ROVERS................. :rover::wub:

Well all in all I'm only disappointed that we didn't get anything out of the game because I thought we deserved it.

Played pretty well today, if they hadn't got that early goal today then it could have been a different story. Agree with the majority, Jacobsen did pretty well and looks a proper RB, I thought defensively Givet was outstanding and covered for Samba at times when we were chasing the game. Samba was decent, caused problems when he went forward for set pieces etc but perhaps need to try and get back quicker.

N'Zonzi could become a very good player. From what I saw in pre season he looked very raw and I don't want to take too much from one performance but it looks like he's already learnt pretty quickly. He played to his strengths today, won countless balls in the air and offloaded it nice and simple.

Warnock went to ground far too easily and was done completley for the first goal but then it's hard to be too critical as he went to ground another 5 or 6 times in similiar situations later on and won them all.

Roberts showed as ever his tremendous work rate but he just never looked like scoring, McCarthy seemed a bit energised today and had a decent game but again rarely threatened apart from a couple of half chances.

Pedersen was very good today, probably our best player along with Givet and N'Zonzi, hopefully he can continue, Diouf did okay but his distribution was terrible at times. Robbo you could argue could have perhaps continued to close down Ireland for the final goal but didn't do anything wrong apart from that and the game was more or less over by then.

And just to end, I've defended Keith in the past but I shouldn't need to this time, how can you all be criticising him so much when he didn't even play today.

A lot more positives from this to take than negatives.

Now had time to digest - the game and my curry.

I sit in JW lower central and the folk around me were actually singing!! - My son could hardly believe it.......

Excuse me - some of us regularly pipe up in between the snores... <_<

Well i don't feel i can truthfully comment on today's game as i only listened on the radio.

However, from what i heard and what i've read on here, i don't see there is much reason to feel disheartened.

1st half it sounded as if we were well on top. A couple of sustained periods of pressure and you could hear the atmosphere growing in the ground. Actually, this raises another point. Purely from a listeners point of view the atmosphere sounded great for most of the match. I know its the opening day, however, this kind of support WILL pay dividends throughout the campaign.

Good to here the reviews of N'zonzi and Jacobsen. From the radio commentry they sounded quite anonmymous. I guess that tells you all you need to know about the accuracy of media coverage.

Anyway, the general consensus is we needed a ball playing, tempo dictating midfielder. Well these are not ten a penny i'm afraid. We all knew this was going to be required a long time ago. However on our budget it was probably a case of sign a striker or said midfielder. I would imagine half of the sides in the EPL are in need of such a player. This in itself should give us hope. There are points to be won from many matches this season and i've no doubt we will do this.

Agree with most who say a lot rests on Kalinic. His goals will shape our season. However, in time i'm sure we'll see more from Roberts and McCarthy. But from today MGP's performance is the most important for me. Without the funds to buy a creative type for the middle, our wingers will need to up the anti. If MGP can continue to improve and reach the levels we know he's capable of we can hide our short comings in the centre.

For me not a bad performance definitely not as bad as under Ince- waggy take note!

Givet for me was man of the match, Ryan Nelsen I think your time is up, are you reading JW and Big sam.

Pity we didnt have an out an out right winger but thats life, didnt think Hoilet was up to it when he came on.

Dont know if its me but, it looked like at times Rovers players were'nt playing to Di Santo if so, needs addressing pdq.

Nearly forgot we need to sign Salgado pdq.

Can consider ourselves unlucky to lose, difference was the finishing.

We need more from Diouf - being a cheerleader isn't enough and seems to be used to gloss over his ineffectiveness (reminds me of Howard Gayle)

Andrews - well just isn't really good enough, but what's he to do? He keeps getting picked.

Jacobsen - Encouraging debut

Warnock - apart from the slip, superb. Twice as good as Bridge.

Roberts - Everything but the goal.

N'Zonzi - Quite impressed, maybe a gem unearthed, maybe flattered to deceive...time will tell.

Benni - Meat and Potato pre match, Chicken Balti HT.

Pedersen - Biggest threat, best game in over a year for me.

Nothing more to add really but on that evidence we'll be OK.

The gulf in technique between the two teams is huge. Even things as basic as first touches.

We are playing ugly...

For the attention of Mr J. Roberts - There's no point making being built like a human battering ram the focal point of your game if you're going to pussy out of every challenge.

Thank you.

I thought the days of Samba the Striker were consigned to last season?

Hideous.

Absolutely brilliant from Ireland. Embarassing from us.

Well and truly beaten by a far better team.

Why am I "obviously a troll"?? I expect better from my team! (May I point out that you're the one making the racial comments.)

When this dross was on offer last season it was all about "giving Sam time" and "waiting until he got his players" - well he has. And it's still pitiful.

There was no difference to our approach to that game than to all the desperate scraps from the moment Allardyce was appointed.

I'm going to have to take issue with this too... In that game City had FAR more chances than we did - they moved the ball quickly and effectively, and took on players at the right times to carve out openings.

Our version of "creating chances" involves lumping the ball "into the mixer" and have it bumbling around in the hope that a body in blue and white gets their toe on it. At NO stage during that match did we create space for goalscoring opportunities, it was all about percentages. Head tennis until the ball drops to someone like...Jason Roberts.

This is Allardyce's Blackburn.

:lol: We really are in the playground now. I guess your Dad could beat up my Dad...?

All add this dingle to the ignore list

Some thoughts

Benni - focus and fitness, please.

Roberts - you don't half make an easy game, hard.

Givet - Very nice buy.

Warnock - We must not sell him at any cost, we need one at least one good fallback. :lol:

N'zonzi - Not bad, not bad at all.

Andrews - Exit stage left. Daydreaming came to mind.

Delap MKII - Put him in the middle with N'zonzi. Played like the tail end of last season but doesn't run with the ball nor whip in a good ball, I'm all on the Gamst in the middle wagon now. No idea who would play left wing though?

Diouf - I'd have slapped some sense into the ref, having seen it on the tele I've seen players go for those before. Our only dribbler, I do like him.

Robbo - play like that and you'll get a tan this summer. You may even get a cap or two to keep the sun out of your eyes.

Jacobsen - good ball for Roberts header, panicked a bit, but did get up and down, but I think I'd like to see Salgado instead at present. :tu: Sam said salgado as we're short of defenders, so how long is Nelsen out for?

Samba - Not For SALE, do you hear that Mr Bank Manager!! :angry2:

Di Santo - Start him next time, Roberts from the bench.

Hoillet - Barely any time really

Gally - We need better, play Gamst here instead. :wacko: Sell him, sell every fringe player so we can sign Salgado plus a left winger, have you tried blackmail Sam??? ;) (that statement in no way implies that Sam has or would partake is this illeagal Act.)

I liked the way we played and we created chances so thats a good thing hopefully we can put it right against sunderland with one or two. First half was very good really. Lots of flank play and two deep lying midfielders and the fullbacks pushing on. We created good chances against a stronger team so I'm pleased at that. One of Klanic/ Di santo plus Benni (perhaps he needs glasses?) but the goals will come. City hardly tore us apart either, and with two more in we could be really good. If we can't raise any more after Salgado we really need Dunn or/and Reid to last the season ( if you like guys here's a plan Reidy you take the first half and play until Christmas, Dunny then you have a go).

Would have liked to have seen the changes made sooner though. Sam's got us creating as we saw first half that over 90 with some finishing (one of Klanic or Di Santo needs to step up) we'll easily win most games.

Good signs.

this match has 3 parts, worthy of debating.

1. our set-pieces, which with a bit of luck, could have won us the game. No team in the world, can defend against us from set pieces for the full 90, without giving away a lot of chances. Even city with their quite big guys in defence, was strugling against us. I can proudly say, that in this department, we are world class

2. the "open" play which was abysmal, insanely boring and without any variety.

3. If this is the style of football we are going to play, then im close to crying. For the first time in my life as a football fan, i was sincerely hoping for throw-ins or any kind of set pieces, as opposed to what i would like to see. I know i cant expect rovers to play barca style, but i would appreciate if our style of play was a bit more mixed.

I love the club, but i must say, that had i been a neutral observer, i would laugh my ass of, by the standard our "open" play.

I'm going to have to take issue with this too... In that game City had FAR more chances than we did - they moved the ball quickly and effectively, and took on players at the right times to carve out openings.

Our version of "creating chances" involves lumping the ball "into the mixer" and have it bumbling around in the hope that a body in blue and white gets their toe on it. At NO stage during that match did we create space for goalscoring opportunities, it was all about percentages. Head tennis until the ball drops to someone like...Jason Roberts.

This is Allardyce's Blackburn.

:lol: We really are in the playground now. I guess your Dad could beat up my Dad...?

You are right, you know this because you saw all the game ! ( I dont like saying this normally, but you need to point this out when somebody posts complete @#/?)

Lets face it - any of the Citeh players would be our best player if they were on our books - the bit part player Bellarmie ripped us to bits at times - was one of my favorites when at Ewood...........

I was disappointed with the reaction of the crowd towards Bellamy, clearly he was too, with his bemused look towards the Blackburn end when taking a corner.

He made watching Rovers exciting again when he played for us, unfortunately he had to play with Shefki, which I’m sure made his departure inevitable.

Good player and left on good terms for me, didn’t deserve the booing.

How can you possibly judge Hoillet based on 9 minutes football?

Yes I know ! I went to the Hibs game aswell.

All I need to see is one movement, one touch, one something, i'm yet to see anything.

Hoilet looks out of touch doesnt mean to say he can't become a good player, but good players generally do it straight away do you not think.

I'm going to have to take issue with this too... In that game City had FAR more chances than we did

I managed to stay out of the bar today, but maybe I was looking the other way for most of the match.

“City had FAR more chances than we did”

Maybe I need to spend more time in the bar as I didn’t see things that way… :blink:

Bring back the shelf.

I was disappointed with the reaction of the crowd towards Bellamy, clearly he was too, with his bemused look towards the Blackburn end when taking a corner.

He made watching Rovers exciting again when he played for us, unfortunately he had to play with Shefki, which I’m sure made his departure inevitable.

Good player and left on good terms for me, didn’t deserve the booing.

Quite agree with this Gav, a few of us were applauding him from our corner, and I wasn't impressed with the masses. Disappointing, but seems to be the way with anyone who used to play for us regardless of what they did.

Archived