BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Salgado

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does Salgado have his badges? I can see him as a manager, he has the presence and mentality of it. The question would be whether he has the technical expertise.

Even so, I would want our manager to have a management track record some where else before we bring him on board. In my opinion, the EPL is not the place to serve one's apprenticeship.

Who gives a B-----ks if he's management material or not ! We've got a manager. All I want is a right back.

Jason Wilcox does a very good piece in the LT today defending Salgado's performance against Newcastle. Like so many of us, Wilcox points the finger at the system we are employing in midfield as to the reason why Salgado is left exposed. He quite rightly points out that on Saturday he felt Jones was far too narrow and had drifted into the middle instead of playing wide on the right to provide cover for the full-back. This has been my criticism of the system every since Kean adopted it. Our midfield is simply too narrow because we are employing two strikers and a player just behind them. The shortage of numbers in midfield means they are often dragged into the middle, leaving huge gaps down the flanks. Any ball played into the channels, with a speedy player chasing it is going to cause problems. I don't care who the full-back is, he is going to have problems when faced, as Salgado has been, with 2 on 1 situations.

So should we play a right back (Salgado) and a right wing back (add name here)?

I have friends who support varying premiership teams and their knowledge of Blackburn is goals conceded and viewed on SSN and Match of the day, they all say the same thing 'how slow is Salgado looking'. They are just lads at work NOT qualified Premiership managers, how often does 'Arry employ Bale to just run at Salgado. I played Rugby to a good standard when I was younger and I was a damn good prop, and represented the county but put me on the wing and I'd have been the worst player on the pitch as I couldn't handle pace. Unfortunately due to Salgados lack of pace and teams evident love of just using pace against him I fear what next season could bring.

As I've said in previous posts, believe it or not I am a Salgado fan and just find it painful watching him get picked off time and time again, yes we can say he has no cover but find me any full back who has permenant cover, it doesn't happen! Team will continue to just knock and run past him.

Jason Wilcox does a very good piece in the LT today defending Salgado's performance against Newcastle. Like so many of us, Wilcox points the finger at the system we are employing in midfield as to the reason why Salgado is left exposed. He quite rightly points out that on Saturday he felt Jones was far too narrow and had drifted into the middle instead of playing wide on the right to provide cover for the full-back. This has been my criticism of the system every since Kean adopted it. Our midfield is simply too narrow because we are employing two strikers and a player just behind them. The shortage of numbers in midfield means they are often dragged into the middle, leaving huge gaps down the flanks. Any ball played into the channels, with a speedy player chasing it is going to cause problems. I don't care who the full-back is, he is going to have problems when faced, as Salgado has been, with 2 on 1 situations.

Exactly, you simply cant defend a 2 on 1 effectively, I posted earlier, watching Fulham v Chelsea last night, each time the ball was played wide by Chelsea, there were at least two players available for Fulham, one on the man and one round the back, I was taught when I did one of my coaching badges that you push a man up on the player, the defender behind him (one round the back) is the talker, he shouts, show him outside, if he gets round you I've got him, Fulham did this last night and they hardly got a cross in except for corners and forced Chelsea to play the ball backwards, basic and solid defending!

So should we play a right back (Salgado) and a right wing back (add name here)?

The player who occupies the right side of midfield should be the first line of defence or cover the full-back if the full-back gets forward. However, on Saturday, Jones was playing in a central position which left a huge gap on the right. The way we are playing this diamond system seems to be aimed at packing the centre of midfield and leaving both full-backs to cope as best they can.

Going back to a lone striker, with the player at the point of the diamond tucked in behind him would free up an extra body for the midfield. This should provide a better defensive platform and give the team a better balance. At the moment the shape of the team just doesn't look right and opposition managers have very quickly worked out where the gaps are in our midfield and defence.

Fair point Parson, suppose the issue we have at the moment is the emergence of Hoilett who is a right sided player who everybody would agree should be playing but isn't too defensively minded. So with that in mind we would be playing Salgado, a covering wing back and Hoilett. Do we make Hoilett defend and break at the speed we would expect him to, which I feel would be extremely hard to do and hold back our main attacking threat.

As we have stated earlier, teams will attack Salgado, Hoilett isn't too hot at covering due to the energy he expends attacking. So do we make the side disjointed by having an extra right sided defensive player? This would leave gaps in the middle though?

He was hugely exposed on Sat due to the quality of NUFC's two left side players.

But to be fair, it is becoming embarrassing how easy it is for opposition sides to get past Michel. From a standing start, Enrique jogged past him and set up ANOTHER dangerous attack.

I love Michel and don't question his commitment/experience/great touch etc, but can we afford to have him in the team anymore?

Why not try something different i.e. Emerton at RB against Villa.

We used to be renowned for out fitness and ability to dig in for the whole 90+ minutes, these days we look dead on our feet by half time !

He was hugely exposed on Sat due to the quality of NUFC's two left side players.

But to be fair, it is becoming embarrassing how easy it is for opposition sides to get past Michel. From a standing start, Enrique jogged past him and set up ANOTHER dangerous attack.

I love Michel and don't question his commitment/experience/great touch etc, but can we afford to have him in the team anymore?

Why not try something different i.e. Emerton at RB against Villa.

We used to be renowned for out fitness and ability to dig in for the whole 90+ minutes, these days we look dead on our feet by half time !

Thats because we have no real shape, if you have a good shape, you dont have to be bombing all over the place as there will be cover, the system is totally wrong and we have no cover in wide areas.

When it's 2 against 1 you should always be made to pay, so Jones playing too central was clearly a big issue. But doesn't the Salgado problem run deeper than that? Against any kind of pace, he gets skinned when its 1 on 1, so then we need a right-sided midfielder who's primary job is to cover Salgado and is thus frightened to push up too far which cannot be right either. Plus. of course, Salgado rarely overlaps so we don't get a 2 on 1 in our favour, or even a 2 on 2. Bentley and Emerton, and also Emerton and Neill could do both.

He seems a great bloke and I love his attitude but I just don't see how you can play in that position in this league when you are so off the pace.

When it's 2 against 1 you should always be made to pay, so Jones playing too central was clearly a big issue. But doesn't the Salgado problem run deeper than that? Against any kind of pace, he gets skinned when its 1 on 1, so then we need a right-sided midfielder who's primary job is to cover Salgado and is thus frightened to push up too far which cannot be right either. Plus. of course, Salgado rarely overlaps so we don't get a 2 on 1 in our favour, or even a 2 on 2. Bentley and Emerton, and also Emerton and Neill could do both.

He seems a great bloke and I love his attitude but I just don't see how you can play in that position in this league when you are so off the pace.

Of course you wouldnt play a midfielder simply to cover, but you have to remember, in modern day football, each player has a job to defend in all areas of the park, the main criteria is that we keep a shape, be disciplined and ditch the diamond formation as it clearly doesnt work for us, we simply cant have Hoilett running on left midfield when his position is right midfield without the discipline of players to drop in to right midfield to cover that area, watch Barcelona tomorrow, they will always have one or two players on Walcott, one on him and one coming round the back, I dont know their tactics but I bet thats what they do, so if Barca, a wonderful footballing side have to do that, how can we be expected to get away with not doing it? They probably wont do it now and I will be left with egg on the face but I think they will press the ball high up the park and when they lose possession, watch how hard they work to recover their shape and defend.

Of course you wouldnt play a midfielder simply to cover, but you have to remember, in modern day football, each player has a job to defend in all areas of the park, the main criteria is that we keep a shape, be disciplined and ditch the diamond formation as it clearly doesnt work for us, we simply cant have Hoilett running on left midfield when his position is right midfield without the discipline of players to drop in to right midfield to cover that area, watch Barcelona tomorrow, they will always have one or two players on Walcott, one on him and one coming round the back, I dont know their tactics but I bet thats what they do, so if Barca, a wonderful footballing side have to do that, how can we be expected to get away with not doing it? They probably wont do it now and I will be left with egg on the face but I think they will press the ball high up the park and when they lose possession, watch how hard they work to recover their shape and defend.

That's why they're a good team. They've got bags of talent but they all work like mad when they've lost possession.

Emerton used to get caught out a fair bit when playing right back.

Opposition used to target him aerially, and from memory, we lost a fair few goals due to him in that position.

Nothing against him filling in there if needs must however as others have said, for most of this season, Salgado has been superb - appreciate Salgado has looked off the pace recently but he's been pretty isolated due to our tactics.

Emerton used to get caught out a fair bit when playing right back.

Opposition used to target him aerially, and from memory, we lost a fair few goals due to him in that position.

Nothing against him filling in there if needs must however as others have said, for most of this season, Salgado has been superb - appreciate Salgado has looked off the pace recently but he's been pretty isolated due to our tactics.

Emmo's problem was in spite of being a pro footballer and training all day everyday for 15 years he still had no idea how to head a football ! Teams used to target him with a long diagonal ball from the other flank. He's a 6 ft guy who jumps 5' 9 ".

• 1 month later...

Very nervous to see big Chris and Mich having a bit of a barney at the end of yesterday's game. I fully expect Samba to rock into training tomorrow morning with bruises on his face, claiming to have "walked into a door".

Clearly Salgado was ###### off that Arsenal had just had a free header; Samba answered back which then lit the blue touch paper. I really think it would have been a LeSaux-Batty if someone hadn't grabbed our resident psycho.

Rightly so tho, We let them have 4 free headers in the last 10 mins and Samba wasn't near any of them.

Archived