BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Salgado

Havent we scored something like 65% of all our goals from set-pieces this season?

I can remember a fair few Pedersen corners we have scored from....

Hughesy, as someone whose job it is to deal with statistics, should you not be asking "what % of our set-pieces have we scored from?"

Given our style of football, it really doesn't surprise me that 2/3rds of our goals have come from set-pieces. That is not necessarily a commendation of Pedersen's dead ball work.

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a team, we had a very strong finish to the season, and Salgado played in most of those games.

He has turned out to be a good signing - shows you cannot judge player too early, many of us (including me), did not think he would be up to the task.

As a bonus, seems like he has a top class attitude too.

As a team, we had a very strong finish to the season, and Salgado played in most of those games.

He has turned out to be a good signing - shows you cannot judge player too early, many of us (including me), did not think he would be up to the task.

Yes I was wrong too.Has put in a terrific 2nd half of the season and really seems to be enjoying himself. Still think Bale showed what a liability he can be but no-ones done it since.

I said pretty much the same thing about Derbyshire. I said that if he wasn't playing regular football by the time was 23 [he was 22 at the time], then he wouldn't make it here either. Where is he now?

He is playing for a Champions League team. I think that means he has made it. We may be getting our wires crossed sometimes...I never argued Derbyshire was going to be another Santa Cruz or Rooney or anything. However, he is good enough to be a squad member at a club like ours. I am sure if we had had the option to bring him off the bench then he would have pitched in with some vital goals.

Good enough to be starting for us? Nope, probably never. Derbyshire DID make it here. Was a useful member of the squad and earned us millions. Not good enough to be a starter, no, but then we can't have a squad who are all good enough to start every game, can we? If Man U cannot manage it then neither can we?

As for Gally...got WORSE as he got older for us. Shame as he is a talented player but just doesn't have enough to be a Prem player.

As for Gally...got WORSE as he got older for us. Shame as he is a talented player but just doesn't have enough to be a Prem player.

Don't know about that. He is one of Leicester's best players, been banging them in and showing a lot of talent. I can see one of the promoted teams or maybe the likes of Wolves taking a chance on him.

We need a stonking season from him next year to get our money's worth though. He had, what, ten good games for us for which he has been paid allegedly 2 million? Has he really been 200k better value per game than playing Emerton, who wasn't doing much else in those games?

I like watching him but am not sure we've had a return on our investment yet

We need a stonking season from him next year to get our money's worth though. He had, what, ten good games for us for which he has been paid allegedly 2 million? Has he really been 200k better value per game than playing Emerton, who wasn't doing much else in those games?

there are other ways he can return our investment, such as raising the clubs profile, influence over the current crop of youth players coming through, attracting players such as guti to even consider coming to the club AND good performances combined with a high level of commitment.

we do not NEED a stonking season from him at all. more of the same will be more than enough to deem the signing as a success.

Derbyshire & Gallagher were not good enough - if they were then they wouldnt have been sold - SIMPLES!

Really? Thats flawed logic. We always sell our best players.

Don't know about that. He is one of Leicester's best players, been banging them in and showing a lot of talent. I can see one of the promoted teams or maybe the likes of Wolves taking a chance on him.

I think a more relevent question would be can you see anybody above 10th position going in for him?

That's still more good games than quite a lot of our squad, and it's not like we paid a transfer fee.

Figured as Season was over I would post here as Salgado has imo been one of our best signings...

Reading the earlier article where he praised life at blackburn just added further gloss to what I feel was a good investment for us.

Positives:

I dont doubt that he has influenced the rapid progression of so many youngsters (this has to be our best year yet for that), if your going to play a 22yr old for a full season in his first season in england you need people like Salgado around.

He is is a great embassador for the club (see earlier interview)

His attitude is exceptional

He has already helped bring in a much sort after kid in Hugo Fernandez

He has put word out to a few of his mates, who although not in their hey day may fancy the idea of a swan song at our little town

His performances in the second half of the season helped us to a great finish in the league

Downsides:

He took a few months to get into his stride in the premier league (not unusual for anyone moving from a foreign league)

He is getting on a bit as such we wont have his influence forever

Overall if our little club can gain a reputation for youth development and a final home for some star names I would be a happy chap and believe that would be a great place both financially and for the long term development of the club.

Derbyshire & Gallagher were not good enough - if they were then they wouldnt have been sold - SIMPLES!

Sorry, don't agree. Derbyshire wouldn't look out of place in our current team.

definitely not good enough

second bench striker perhaps. certainly wouldn't have fit in this season and i doubt he will next since we should be bringing someone in. the players we have been linked with, whilst not amazing are better than him.

Sorry, don't agree. Derbyshire wouldn't look out of place in our current team.

Derb's would have given us something different up top.

He certainly has the attribute we've been lacking at times this year, in that he can finish. I do wonder how him and Kalinic would have fitted together, people are saying he'd do well alongside a quicker finsher, and well derb's is that.

Perhaps we'll see him back in the shirt in the future.

IMO derbyshires better than Kalinic, Kalinic charges about but never looks like scoring, Derbshire always looks like getting in behind and getting a chance, watched him afew times this season and am gutted we didn't keep him, apparently there are premiership sides looking at him this summer, shame Allardyce doesnt believe in this style of striker, if we'd have kept him we could have cashed in abit more on him i think. O well, as for salgado, if he gets Guti to ewood then he'll be worth his 200k a game

The way I see the derbyshire stance is simple....

How often do we play with 2 strikers? Very rarely....would he be our no1 striker - NO

If we did play with 2 strikers would he be our 2nd best striker - NO

If we needed a 3rd option...possibly (BUT only possibly because we have sold Benni & Di Santo hasnt stepped up).

He also seems to sulk alot if taken off and he doesnt like sitting on the bench, therefore he isnt an ideal team player & could cause some trouble behind the scenes, just look at the difference it seems to have made getting shut of pie eater.

He also seems to sulk alot if taken off and he doesnt like sitting on the bench, therefore he isnt an ideal team player & could cause some trouble behind the scenes, just look at the difference it seems to have made getting shut of pie eater.

No footballer wants to sit on the bench. Derb's moaned because he'd never get a decent run under anyone in out and shake it all about. Olsson was no different under Hughes and look what has happened since Sam showed faith in him.

I'm not saying selling him wasn't the right move at the time, but faith and a decent run can make a huge difference to a player especially the young ones.

I'm not saying selling him wasn't the right move at the time, but faith and a decent run can make a huge difference to a player especially the young ones.

Agree entirely, youg lads need encouragement and confidence, appears as though that is the route we are taking now and following Evertons lead of giving young lads an opportunity!!

Derbs is a pacey striker and a good finisher, which often made him an effective option from the bench. He didn't throw his toys out of the pram, but he wanted a new break after being chopped about by several managers. I don't see how anyone can say he isn't good enough, when we finished 10th this year playing Roberts & Kalinic.

• 4 months later...

Archived