BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Preston Set To Lose National Football Museum

JC4LAB

Anyone ever been?Looks like the wheels are in motion to transfer this to Manchester..Preston was never the ideal location in my view ..

Bloody good and free on a Saturday morning.

I liked the glass window which gives you a view of the stadium. Which other club offers this without paying to get in? Nice touch.

Yes, I've been and it was interesting. It's a shame they are moving it away from Preston, but the question really is one of marketing in the first place. Most fans probably didn't know it was there. If the decision to put it there was once taken then it was up to those who made that decision to really advertise it to all fans through their programmes and on their websites etc. Preston is never going to be the first place you think of to go and visit, so it really needed a big effort to get fans going there.

What has Manchester got to do with the formation of football?

Exactly - it has to be and remain associated with one of the original 12 League clubs. It could have been in Nottingham or Sheffield perhaps but given it's in Preston it should stay there. If you haven't been you shopuld go as soon as possible - it's excellent.

After the initial launch, I have heard little of it since, of course when somebody mentions it then we all remember.

As above post state poor media advertising.

With four of the founder members in the North West ( five if you count Acrington FC ) it should stay in the North West, surprised they not trying to move it to London.

Any kind of date on this? Ive never been before, but always knew in the back of my mind that it would always be there to go to and id get round to at some point. Now its movin, id much rather go in Preston where it belongs (or any of the foundin towns/cities) so is it gonna be movin any time soon?

Has the location in Manchester been revealed, likely venue?, and the contestants are MANURE or OT. :angry:

Where else would even be considered.

urbis apparently. Either that or there is even talk of taking it to Wembley. Preston council were having a meeting to see if there was a possibility of keeping it.

I would have preferred it to be at Wembley because that's the home of the national team and English FA HQ and visited by hundreds of thousands of people a year. They could then combine it with the Wembley tour which is already fantastic.

No way should it be in London, the Northern heritage of the game needs protecting.

If you're that bothered, there is ,yes you guessed it ,an online petition against the move, Linky Here. Personally, it should stay at Preston-the cost of the move alone means it is a bit daft. But there is a funding gap of around £400,000, which is to be picked up by the LCC and PCC, neither of which can likely afford it right now.

I'm sure some benefactor could be found, like the Cricket loving mush who chucks dough at something, erm ,Cricket related.

Urbis is right next to Victoria Train Station in Manchester and would be handy if you have time to kill waiting for a train to Blackburn so that gets my approval..Hope it would be be free but I doubt it..Parking would be a sod though..Wonder if Urbis will be big Enough...Theres a lot to see..

There was a proposal to move the museum to London a few years ago, which was quite rightly resisted. Most football fans would have preferred the national stadium to be somewhere other than Wembley so moving the national museum there as well would add insult to injury.

The proposal is to move to a new home at Urbis in Manchester, which as stated above would cost £10m with running costs of £960K a year, compared to £750K a year if it stays in Preston. There is a £350K funding gap and the FA, Football League and Premier League have all refused to help.

As you might expect it's a pretty big story in Preston and the Evening Post is leading on it today. There are messages of support from Sir Tom Finney and Sir Bobby Charlton, who is the museum's president.

Just read the article in the Guardian (Urbis) what has that got to do with football.

I suppose if it has to move IMO Wembley would be my choice, purely on the grounds of giving football fans from around the world more opportunity to see it.

The cost of moving.

10m

It will be interesting to see if the present Chairman of the Museum Trustees gets a place as a Director on the Urbis Board of Directors after the move takes place!!!! What a cynic ;)

Archived