BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jason Roberts Is Our "Star" So Far?

Amo

I knew the local Portsmouth rag was barmy but:

BLACKBURN

Star so far: Jason Roberts

Lowdown:

Sam Allardyce continues to go about his business at Blackburn in the same manner he has throughout his managerial career.

Rovers remain one of the more unfashionable sides in the Premier League, but are a typical Allardyce team in that they are robust and physical. Allardyce moved a lot of players in and out of Ewood Park over pre-season as he made his mark on the squad. Jason Roberts has made a decent start to the campaign, but Nikola Kalinic, the man Pompey chased throughout the summer, has not made such a decent impression.

Jason has totally disappeared from the first team and the Reserves. Is there an injury problem or might the toys have come out of the pram again when he was dropped?

According to allardyce he's struggling for form and that's why he was dropped. I heard him interviewed on Talksport on Friday and he seemed fine then, in terms of his mood

According to allardyce he's struggling for form and that's why he was dropped. I heard him interviewed on Talksport on Friday and he seemed fine then, in terms of his mood

wouldn't be suprised if we don't see him for quite a long time. Di Santo, Hoilett and Kalinic all seem to be getting up to speed.

Roberts is a good player to have as part of the squad.

He's a useful player to bring on when you want an extra striker to hustle the opposition defence, and on his day can be excellent (albeit that's not too often). You'd also, providing not played up top alone, not have too many qualms about him starting a few matches against the lower teams when filling in for injuries.

However, as first choice team members go Roberts defiantely is not good enough. His faults have been listed often enough to not need repeating.

Thing is with Jason, both in terms of what the player thinks, and probably wages, he sees himself as a first teamer, whereas most fans, and quite possibly (hopefully!) Sam, see him as a squad player. This is pretty unreconcilable really, resulting in either Jason being miffed at not being in the team - remembering him doing that with Hughes, then scoring vs Bolton, or him playing more games then he really should. Either way it's not too good for Rovers.

I think Roberts is a class act! as for sam saying he's struggling with form, Roberts did what was asked of him, he cant play as a lone striker as he holds it up and battles like mad, he isnt a goal scorer! bang him up wih Benny and we are sure of goals.

if he could score, your right Sparky, he would be a WORLD CLASS player!!

I think Roberts is a class act! as for sam saying he's struggling with form, Roberts did what was asked of him, he cant play as a lone striker as he holds it up and battles like mad, he isnt a goal scorer! bang him up wih Benny and we are sure of goals.

if he could score, your right Sparky, he would be a WORLD CLASS player!!

Of course....

:wacko:

He'd still be nowhere near 'World class' though. He turns like an elephant and has the first touch of a bag of cement. Absolutely no vision or creativity either. Bloody awful in the air as well, especially given his size.

He'd probably be a poor man's Kenwyne Jones. That would still make him a £6-8 million pound striker though, and probably the best in our squad.

Jason Roberts is a Championship level striker who occasionally muscles his way around the back before fluffing it straight at the keeper. How he's kept McCarthy out of the team, I don't know.

Out of all the strikers I have seen at Rovers, shearer aside, Roberts makes more chances out of nothing than anyone else. It's really quite impressive the way he uses power to unsettle weak defenders

However the rae at which he misses them is astonishing. Literally scores one in every 8 or so attempts, and he doesn't even like shooting from outside the box.

Hopefully Di Santo can offer us the same power but combined with a decent goal threat.

Jason Roberts is a Championship level striker who occasionally muscles his way around the back before fluffing it straight at the keeper. How he's kept McCarthy out of the team, I don't know.

I agree, eight out of ten for effort and work rate...3 out of ten for his penalty box work and finishing...McCarthy is far better striker...

Work rate, pace, size.

Our Jase has need about 10 yards to get to speed and then he is quick. When he is confident he has a good work rate but disappears when low on confidence. For a player of his size he gets dominated by a good strong centre half. Add to this his poor goal scoring record for every premiership club he has played for then this gives you what he is.....

.... a decent CHAMPIONSHIP player.

Nice bloke off the field though.

I agree, eight out of ten for effort and work rate...3 out of ten for his penalty box work and finishing...McCarthy is far better striker...

If we are playing one up top I would go for Jase everytime. McCarthy offers nothing on his own, defenders put them in their pocket. If we play 442 and he has a partner who can create him a bit of space McCarthy is a much better player (I would quite like to see McCarthy pley with Di Santo or Hoilett. I think he could become prolific again).

Why is this topic pinned?

If we are playing one up top I would go for Jase everytime. McCarthy offers nothing on his own, defenders put them in their pocket. If we play 442 and he has a partner who can create him a bit of space McCarthy is a much better player (I would quite like to see McCarthy pley with Di Santo or Hoilett. I think he could become prolific again).

Why is this topic pinned?

Maybe, but I am an anti 4-5-1...4-4-2 every time...But I don't think Roberts is still good enoug a striker for a Premiership 4-5-1

Work rate, pace, size.

Would you rather a real trier who 9.99/10 times will fluff his golden opportunity? Or a casual player who can find the back of the net?

Joey - Since when can Roberts function as a lone striker? Against a miserable Wolves side who are so bad they lost at home to Pompey today? Di Santo showed Roberts what playing the lone striker is all about.

Joey - Since when can Roberts function as a lone striker? Against a miserable Wolves side who are so bad they lost at home to Pompey today? Di Santo showed Roberts what playing the lone striker is all about.

I didn't say he was good at it, I just said he was better than Benni would be (which is utterly appalling!). Obviously Di Santo seems a massive improvement over Roberts which is a bloody relief.

Archived