BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Academy 2009/10

den

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said Rovers beat West Brom yesterday lunch time.

Rovers fell behind almost straight away, after an attack from Rovers they were caught short at the back when their keeper got the ball out. A cross was only half cleared to the edge of the area for West Brom to put home. Less than a minute gone and Rovers losing.

Rovers came back into it quite strong after that but both sides seemed to be cancelling each other out. Rovers then got back level in the first half, a shot from Rovers ended up falling across the face of goal for Jamie Maclaren to put home.

Half time both teams equal.

Early in the second half and Rovers for the second time in two days were reduced to ten men, I didn't have a great view of this as it was on the far side with players in between but Vastic I think was sent off for a studs up challenge on the opposition. I didn't think it was a red card and after Vastic and the ref had checked on the player a red card was shown. I personally don't think the players reaction helped with the player rolling from his back to one side the entire time he was down. At the end of the match he was on crutches though but he did stay on the sideline for the entire game.

Rovers then fell behind after a cross wasn't cleared and a simple tap in from a few yards out.

West Brom stepped up their game for a while with Rovers struggling with how to defend and play. Rovers were then level after a good spell of pressure when a corner wasn't cleared and Maclaren once again was there to strike the ball home.

After that spell Rovers felt there was a win for the taking. It was soon realised when Rovers were awarded a free-kick, after the initial one was blocked for what looked like handball in the area, the referee awarded another free-kick and booked the blocking player for breaking from the wall to soon, with everyone confused as to what had been given it was another free kick.

Banton stepped up once again to curl home a free kick into the top corner with brilliant precision.

Urwin- Made some saves but most shots went over the bar, can't remember exactly but got a feeling he could have done better with one of the goals.

A.Henley- Started off a bit shaky with West Brom targeting long balls at him but he coped well and had some good runs forward also as well as looking better defensively as the game went on.

Billington- Was a bit quiet in second half really, not much came down his side, looked better defensively than in recent games.

James- Very shaky early on but when needed at the end he was there to win the headers and challenges.

Wylie- Played quite well but struggled with strength of opposition at times which isn't surprising as they will be 2 years older.

Vastic- Played right wing, didn't have much time on the ball but won few headers to help start attacks, Sent off but not sure if it was right decision or not.

Banton- Possibly best performance I've seen all season by him, tracked back well and ran a lot when put up front alone, capped it all off with brilliant free kick.

Bowen- Had a good game with good passing and put the opposition under pressure.

Hands- Same as Bowen really.

Maclaren- Another impressive performance from the young Aussie, 2 goals and did well when moved to right wing also.

Rustemaj- First half he was poor as he wasn't going for many challenges or doing much in general with frustration being shown by his team mates. Second half he worked hard when down to ten men putting the defence under pressure.

SUBS

Parry (Maclaren)- I think he was returning from injury as he hasn't been seen recently, went into the back four with Wylie moving to midfield. Height was a big advantage as he cleared the long balls away.

Murray (Rustemaj)- First time I've seen him this season, strange as he is an U18 player so not sure if he's been injured. Showed good touches on the ball and worked hard.

That was Rovers final home game of the season, Rovers are now up to 7th with one to play, they could still finish 3rd!

I hope the lads have a good summer back home with family and they can be proud of the season in my view. They are off to Thailand in the Summer for pre-season tournament I believe.

Just a thought for the lads being released, Michael Hall I believe is leaving, backed up by him disappearing from all sides recently, I talked to him earlier on in the season and he had a trial with Accy and was going back for a second one. Leaving to play more in his favoured CM role.

Callum O'Connor I think is leaving also, not appeared much for Academy this year but played for reserves once or twice also.

Not sure on anyone else but possibly Jake Kean is going and maybe Josh Swann but just rumours at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think these teo post speaks for themselves, they are taken from RoversMad.

"A mate of mine who's an avid Evertonian was telling me about his mates son who is on our books.

He said that both Everton and Liverpool didn't care a toss and binned him off, he was taken on by us and the dad had nothing but praise for our youth set up.

He said we are light years ahead of the merseyside teams. Also he says we are targeting tall strapping athletic lads. Maybe thats sam's influence?? Either way it was good to hear a bit of praise from the opposition instead of the usual nonsense."

"I have a similar story about a young Aussie lad..(scottish descent)... Jamie Maclaren 16 YO. He was supposed to trial with Villa, Brum & Celtic but Rovers got wind of it and got in first... he scored a hat trick against United in his first u-16 game & followed up with a brace against Derby in his second outing. He was immediatly signed up for the academy and is one of the youngest players playing there.... I have a full story & pictures as my mate is the journo who interviewed him and wrote the story over here..it's not on the website yet but I will post a link when it is... Hopefully he's something special...."

I'm sure others on here are for more knowledgeable on the merits of our academy against the two mentioned in first post.

Either way it's nice to here as the OP states.

I think these teo post speaks for themselves, they are taken from RoversMad.

"A mate of mine who's an avid Evertonian was telling me about his mates son who is on our books.

He said that both Everton and Liverpool didn't care a toss and binned him off, he was taken on by us and the dad had nothing but praise for our youth set up.

He said we are light years ahead of the merseyside teams. Also he says we are targeting tall strapping athletic lads. Maybe thats sam's influence?? Either way it was good to hear a bit of praise from the opposition instead of the usual nonsense."

"I have a similar story about a young Aussie lad..(scottish descent)... Jamie Maclaren 16 YO. He was supposed to trial with Villa, Brum & Celtic but Rovers got wind of it and got in first... he scored a hat trick against United in his first u-16 game & followed up with a brace against Derby in his second outing. He was immediatly signed up for the academy and is one of the youngest players playing there.... I have a full story & pictures as my mate is the journo who interviewed him and wrote the story over here..it's not on the website yet but I will post a link when it is... Hopefully he's something special...."

I'm sure others on here are for more knowledgeable on the merits of our academy against the two mentioned in first post.

Either way it's nice to here as the OP states.

I'd far rather we signed players based on talent than physical characteristics. Cannon was Everton's head scout so from that I assume he's brought "their" guidelines with him. Evertons academy has produced some seriously good players recently, so I think its a little pre-mature to be claiming we are better than them. Liverpool's has gone through turmoil recently with change after change, so again it needs to be given time 3-4 years before we see if the Spaniard can sort it.

Its also worth noting that the players that have come through from Everton are hardly physical beasts, Rodwell, Vaughan for example.

Lets judge them (us) in 3-4 years and see how we are doing then once the laid plans have had time to come to fruition.

The shining light in our current financial plight is that kids will get chances in the first team now, something they do need to "step-up", without increasing challenges they'll just stagnate.

I'd far rather we signed players based on talent than physical characteristics. Cannon was Everton's head scout so from that I assume he's brought "their" guidelines with him. Evertons academy has produced some seriously good players recently, so I think its a little pre-mature to be claiming we are better than them. Liverpool's has gone through turmoil recently with change after change, so again it needs to be given time 3-4 years before we see if the Spaniard can sort it.

Its also worth noting that the players that have come through from Everton are hardly physical beasts, Rodwell, Vaughan for example.

Lets judge them (us) in 3-4 years and see how we are doing then once the laid plans have had time to come to fruition.

The shining light in our current financial plight is that kids will get chances in the first team now, something they do need to "step-up", without increasing challenges they'll just stagnate.

All valid point and opinions.

I think you have to take into consideration, aspects of those two posts are all second hand. (exaggerated some what)

The point that I thought was quite positive, is the fact we are competing and winning in some cases for players against what I perceived to better youth systems than our own.

As I said, the little I know about our youth system has been gained from this MB in the main.

I'd rate Villa above us, but most certainly not Birmingham. Celtic have brought through a few, but the perception of Scottish football will alway place them below most premiership teams.

What is good is that we are trying, as its not long ago that all we did was moan about how much competition there is in the northwest for kids.

Did we not release him?

He was linked with an american team if I remember right, I have a feeling his contract is up this summer though. Weird that he got that award as he didn't play much for them during the play offs.

Is Jordan Bowen the very small midfielder?

Yeah he is.

He was linked with an american team if I remember right, I have a feeling his contract is up this summer though. Weird that he got that award as he didn't play much for them during the play offs.

Yeah he is.

Marshall's wiki page (yes I know) has him down as a free transfer. I'm surprised he got the award as well TBH, 22 total app's and 0 goals is hardly setting the world on fire.

Has anyone got any news on young Judge?? I'm disappointed he's being shown the door since he's had glowing reports at Plymouth. Did well for them last season and well this year he had no hope given the man in charge.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting story about the academy and two young lads, one off Oakdale, Louis Almond, and another in Jordan Bowen.

Both were in the academy together at the same time, under 12's. Speaking to one of Louis family members who is a big Rovers fan, he told me how many years ago under Bobby Downes how Rovers saw a big future in young Jordan with money being thrown at the lads family to stave off interest from Man united whilst Downes and co. released young Louis Almond from Rovers.

Today.......Jordan Bowen trawls around the football world looking for work, as hes unemployed, after being realeased by Rovers. Whilst young Louis Almond is employed to play professional football having secured a two year professional contract with Blackpool F.C..

Archived