BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Academy 2009/10

den

Hanley up for the cup

Dont forget its the youth cup Semi this wednesday, 7pm - hopefully we can get a decent crowd there for it to cheer the lads on!

Having watched three and half youth games, got to say, I cant see what Phil Jones has football wise that Grant Hanley doeasnt have.

Makes me think of Keith Hill and David May, Hill always seemed to have the better profile in their early days yet it was May who went on to achieve the greater things as Hill faded away.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having watched three and half youth games, got to say, I cant see what Phil Jones has football wise that Grant Hanley doeasnt have.

Makes me think of Keith Hill and David May, Hill always seemed to have the better profile in their early days yet it was May who went on to achieve the greater things as Hill faded away.

I certainly saw them play in the same Youth team, but I speculate that May was a year younger.

What struck me at the time was the way May tided up after Hill's mistakes.

Having watched the academy all season at home, I can say that Grant has got undoubtedly better as the season has progressed. One of the few in the academy at the minute actually, to begin with he wasn't making any glaring errors but it was lots of little things he was doing that were letting him down.

Having watched the academy all season at home, I can say that Grant has got undoubtedly better as the season has progressed. One of the few in the academy at the minute actually, to begin with he wasn't making any glaring errors but it was lots of little things he was doing that were letting him down.

Who are the others in the academy that seemed to have progressed other than young Ramm.

Who are the others in the academy that seemed to have progressed other than young Ramm.

At the minute??

Not many but they aren't playing in the league games because of the youth cup. The likes of Potts and Banton really impressed me but recently have gone off the boil a bit.

One lad who I think has come on,mainly due to him playing more now is James Knowles. Northern Irish CM, he's played a big part recently.

Others are coming on ok but nothing amazing so far but its been hard to tell for one thing or another.

It's always difficult to judge whether a young centre half will make the grade. Thing is, if you are 6ft 4ins and can put a foot in and you can physically dominate your opponent, you will stand out from the rest. When they eventually come up against lads as big and strong as them, it's a totally different situation. Technique is tested then, as well as finding out if they really are that strong. I've seen loads of young strapping centre halves in the youth team over the years, who all looked good. Virtually all of them fell by the wayside when the physical side of the game leveled itself out. Exceptions were Tiny Taylor, Faz - any more?

I believe Kevin Pezonni is a center half who we let go and has now started at least 50 times for Cologne in the Bundesliga

From what I can remember he was with us at the time of a few german lads, mamadi keita (sp?) Being another, they spent a few years here and then decided they wanted to leave, I don't think there was much we could do about it. I think he was highly rated here so not much a surprise he has done well!

I could be wrong about the above though, sure I'll be corrected if I am!

Just got back

Lost 1-0 - own goal, both sides went down to 10 men after a 18man brawl - handbags really!!

Chelsea much the better side....2 decent youngsters for them, number 7 and 11, not sure on their names but good players, especially 11. As for Rovers our strikers are poor, midfield is too small/ weak - however the defence is quite good.

Also nice to see Hoilett there to support the lads

Just got back

Lost 1-0 - own goal, both sides went down to 10 men after a 18man brawl - handbags really!!

Chelsea much the better side....2 decent youngsters for them, number 7 and 11, not sure on their names but good players, especially 11. As for Rovers our strikers are poor, midfield is too small/ weak - however the defence is quite good.

Also nice to see Hoilett there to support the lads

Just got back like wise, agree with them being the better side, we could have got something but it would have been unjust.

Definitely agree the defence is good, however Morris is not a left back and tonight it shone through, this guy was amazing earlier in the season in CM and since he's moved back to LB the side hasn't been the same.

Apart from Lowe in CM none of the others can tackle they just stand off. Potts was also very good earlier in the season but he's struggled recently also and I didn't see why he got sent off but his temper has come through again, we may be seeing why United let him go, remember this is the lad who got sent off after the final whistle earlier in the season!

As for the attacking three, I think teams have worked us out now, you cut off the supply and danger from the flanks and we struggle and just lump it up to Hitchcock, he is quite small but does win a fair few headers but when he does no one else is about to feed off them. As for goal attempts for him he doesn't get any because he's too busy winning the ball and linking play up.

We have to change the formation in my view, get 2 up top and see how that works.

As for best players tonight: Ramm- Once again played very well in dealing with the 2 Chelsea wingers, however late in the game after his knock he was tired and couldn't get up and down easily.

Hitchcock- Did the best he could and gives his all for the team if we had a proper target man with him I think we would see more of him as a striker instead of target man.

Poorer players- Swann- He made some good saves but his kicking was atrocious most of tonight.

O'Connor- One of his poorer games tonight seemed indecisive on the ball.

Morris- Get him back into CM he's not a LB, although I think he will be kept at LB for quite a while.

I also saw Junior this evening and was good to see him there as was Frankie Fielding.

All in all we have it all to do next Monday at the Bridge!

Archived