BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Academy 2009/10

den

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hell, that is one heck of a team den!! Especially the defence and midfield. It would not be far off winning the league today.

If I could have one wish in football terms, it would be to go back in time to around 1957 and for me to be aged 20 then and to be able to watch Rovers through that fantastic period. Instead of from 1966 which actually happened.

Just been thinking about this.

I can go back to 1962 and some of the 1959 youth cup winning side had made it into the first team by then. So......

Best Rovers team, since 1960 that came through the youth set up, in a 4-4-2 set up:

Paul Bradshaw

Keith Newton

Mike England

Derek Fazackerley

John Bailey

Bryan Douglas

Ronnie Clayton

David Dunn

Damien Duff

Fred Pickering

Simon Garner

Bench: Hird, Beattie, Eamonn Rogers, Simon Barker

Any more?

Good team but didn't Duff comes from a small Irish club and not through the junior ranks ? Wilcox would be a good replacement.

David May is another contender.

Another thing that stood out is that Everton where much bigger built and much more physical - alot of our lads seemed quite small and weak and sometimes didnt give everything on 50/50's

Has always seemed to be the case with Everton when I have seen them against us inc the reserves and I'm going back to the late 80's and early nineties in that respect.

Has always seemed to be the case with Everton when I have seen them against us inc the reserves and I'm going back to the late 80's and early nineties in that respect.

They must do something different.

It reminds me of the American athletes - they always seem much bigger built and it always seems to give them an edge - why do we not train to the same mega level?!

Until recent times, Rovers in all the years I have been watching them have never been a team of hulking six-footers. Good things come in small packages or a good big 'un will always beat a good little 'un - depends which saying you believe.

Until recent times, Rovers in all the years I have been watching them have never been a team of hulking six-footers. Good things come in small packages or a good big 'un will always beat a good little 'un - depends which saying you believe.

of, if you are good enough, you are big enough

Alot of the academy lads that seem to of made it lately seem a decent size though....Rooney, Rodwell, Micah Richards, Onouha, Gosling etc...

Dont see many 5ft-nothing players making it through, unless they play the beautiful game at Arsenal!

It reminds me of the American athletes - they always seem much bigger built and it always seems to give them an edge - why do we not train to the same mega level?!

Push kids too early and who knows what injury problems you are building up later. I know the trend nowadays is for huge guys and you have to be strong enough to withstand the physical side of the premier league, but you can adapt later on as we've proved with Kalinic, if you are good enough and make yourself far less likely to get those niggling injuries that over development too early can cause. There are always lads like Rooney who are built big to start with but some just develop later.

Good team but didn't Duff comes from a small Irish club and not through the junior ranks ? Wilcox would be a good replacement.

Dalglish went across to Ireland personally to get Duff to sign on. I think he was 15 at the time. I certainly remember him playing at Brockhall for the A team and also in the youth team. They still had the "A" and "B" teams then.

Alot of the academy lads that seem to of made it lately seem a decent size though....Rooney, Rodwell, Micah Richards, Onouha, Gosling etc...

Dont see many 5ft-nothing players making it through, unless they play the beautiful game at Arsenal!

I am not sure tats completely true. Looking at the England team you have Defoe, Wright-Phillips, Ashley Young, Joe Cole who are all small. Plus the best team by a margin in the world - Spain - are mostly pretty small.

You need to have pace and be extremely skilled on the ball, but small players can massively succeed.

Yes they do do something different, if your not six foot tall or predicted to be that tall, then you don't get in its part of their recruitment policy.

I am not sure tats completely true. Looking at the England team you have Defoe, Wright-Phillips, Ashley Young, Joe Cole who are all small. Plus the best team by a margin in the world - Spain - are mostly pretty small.

You need to have pace and be extremely skilled on the ball, but small players can massively succeed.

3 players (maybe 4) over 6 foot tall in whole first team. Spain are all about moving the ball getting your body right to receive the ball and moving off the ball.

Height is one of the only things that cannot be trained, but all the rest can with the correct approach from the right ages.

Gosling was no beast when he joined Everton.

Because we don't quaff steroids like Smarties and eat beef which has been reared on growth hormones. There is also a thing about being an 'athlete' in their sporting culture too i.e. 6 foot 2+, powerful build, fast.

Archived