BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Academy 2009/10

den

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeh I just seen that reading up on him on the official Rovers website, could be a few promising defenders coming up the ranks in the next few years hopefully.

To be honest from seeing him quite a bit this year and a few times last year I would be surprised if he makes it. Think there are more promising cb in the academy

Another thing that stood out is that Everton where much bigger built and much more physical - alot of our lads seemed quite small and weak and sometimes didnt give everything on 50/50's

That seems to be a trait of our academy,I can't think of that many players who have been well built in our academy, beattie and burgess spring to mind but in recent years not many unless cb's, Hanley and Jones for example. You should have seen one of Stoke's CB's the other day, Jon Parkin mark 2!

Thought that Everton probably could and should have been out of sight earlier on in the game but our team just kept going and when they got the goal back it seemed to really knock Everton out of their stride. They got niggly and lost a lot of discipline whereas our kids stayed focussed, despite the fact that they were outmuscled by the bigger, stronger Everton players. Well done to them. Nice that Dunn turned up to watch again - he usually does if he can.

Just got back and all I can say the MOM by a million miles was Jackson Ramm, the little right back, absolutely superb cant speak highly enough about his performance tonight.

This is good news for Sam - we'll probably only need to buy another two right-backs this summer and we should have sufficient cover. :rolleyes:

Thoroughly enjoyed the footie last night.

Thought Hanley and Jones (and O Connor when Jones was replaced) had excellent performances at centre half, equally the two full backs especially Jackson Ramm.

Hitchcock had a sensible game, did nothing spectacular but kept the ball well and brought others in to play by doing the simple thing.

Jamie Knowles had a good 60 mins or so in central midfield. Strikes me as a tenancious player, but Ive never seen him before so can't really comment.

Shall be at the semi home leg me thinks.

:rover: how small is no 8 jordan Bowen,if he was playing for everton he would have been a diiddy man :unsure::brfcsmilie:

Very small - and very small build too.

Looked good too, but unless he bulks up and grows abit then I cant see much for him!

I didn't see any future Dunn's, Duff's, Jonnty's or Beatties.

Just been thinking about this.

I can go back to 1962 and some of the 1959 youth cup winning side had made it into the first team by then. So......

Best Rovers team, since 1960 that came through the youth set up, in a 4-4-2 set up:

Paul Bradshaw

Keith Newton

Mike England

Derek Fazackerley

John Bailey

Bryan Douglas

Ronnie Clayton

David Dunn

Damien Duff

Fred Pickering

Simon Garner

Bench: Hird, Beattie, Eamonn Rogers, Simon Barker

Any more?

That side would win the Premier League!

John Byrom, Stuart Metcalfe immediately come to mind as additions. Olsson and Hoilett are not bad squad players to have either. Unfortunately we are down to Paul Round and Brett Ormerod as sub forwards though.

That side would win the Premier League!

John Byrom, Stuart Metcalfe immediately come to mind as additions. Olsson and Hoilett are not bad squad players to have either. Unfortunately we are down to Paul Round and Brett Ormerod as sub forwards though.

Ah yes - Byrom and Metcalfe. How did I miss them.

John Byrom was known as the new golden boy of English football when he first came into the side. What a player he was at that time, brilliant. Helped having Duggie supplying the amunition though. I went to West Ham in the sixties and saw him net a hat trick in a 3-3 FA cup draw.

Metcalfe was a brilliant right winger for the reserves - the last time we won the Central league I think. He reminded everyone of Douglas at that time.

Archived