BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Academy 2009/10

den

Think you're forgetting about Derbyshire. Hughes gave him his chance after his sucessful loan at Wrexham.

I was dissapointted when he left on loan to greece especially as he banged in a good few goals. But I've got sonme good mates out in greece and they say whilst he's alright he's nought special. Hughes had a great eye for a striker in his time here, but Derb's still didn't get anywhere. Guess he just wasn't quite premiership standard after all, no matter how much my heart wanted him to be.

PS having now meet our runner up in the summer for the top academy job a few times, we really missed a trick not getting him in.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was dissapointted when he left on loan to greece especially as he banged in a good few goals. But I've got sonme good mates out in greece and they say whilst he's alright he's nought special. Hughes had a great eye for a striker in his time here, but Derb's still didn't get anywhere. Guess he just wasn't quite premiership standard after all, no matter how much my heart wanted him to be.

PS having now meet our runner up in the summer for the top academy job a few times, we really missed a trick not getting him in.

He has an eye for goal, but he's far too lightweight for a Premier League striker. Strictly a substitute.

Great News about Junior!..Well done Mr Williams..........Its good to know that the MAIN MAN at the club has got his finger on the Rovers Pulse.

0,,10303~8641640,00.jpg

Australian Kid Jamie McLaren (16yo) scored a hat-trick for Blackburn

Rovers against Manchester United Academy in a trial match which has

clinched a contract with Rovers........He scored today on his Full

debut for Rovers V Stoke...........

Other Stars to follow Junior & Ollssen

Vastic.......Austrian............looks the Bizz..........

Rustemas, Pivkovski (both Swedish Youth Internationals)

After you've read the main match report now read my alternative report.

Went to the match this morning, haven't been that cold in a long, long time.

After standing like a dork at the academy for ten minutes finally worked out that the game wasn't down there but up the hill at the Senior Training Centre.

Had a chat with Lee and Phil Cannon before the game and both told me that it was a young team on show but I was still surprised to see the line up. 3 under 16 players starting and the rest of the team mainly fringe players from the Under 18 squad.

Line up and nationalities as it makes interesting reading.

Kean (English)

Ajagbe (English but obviously foreign descendent) O'Connor (Irish) Pearson (English) Billington (English)

O'Sullivan (Irish) Lindsay (New Zealander) Knowles (N. Irish) Maclaren (Aussie)

Vastic (Austrian) Rustemas (Swedish but also part Albanian)

Sub that came on Pivkovski (Swedish)

As you can see a fair few nationalities in the side.

Game was weird really today, very even game and a draw was probably the fair result. As is the per usual officials made some interesting decisions today.

Rovers goal was a fantastic piece of play, O'Sullivan spread it out wide to Billington who made a great run down the left cut it back for Rustemas who's shot was saved at the near post but palmed across goal and Maclaren reacted quickest to tap it home.

Their goal came from a free kick which was poorly defended, I think it was O'Connor who was out jumped for it but to be fair it was the only thing he did wrong all game.

Other than that there were a few chances for both sides but they wasted their chances as did Rovers.

With a very young side out I think Rovers will take pride from this, seeing as we were resting the other for Monday, as they were all training on the opposite pitch. Also the first team were training but pretty much out of sight. :)

My ratings:

Kean 6- Did what he had to do well but don't remember him making any saves, he could do nothing about the goal. I think he is a decent keeper but not as confident as Swann is. I know his contract is up at the end of the season so will be interesting to see if he is kept on.

Ajagbe 5- Played right back, he gave the ball away a few times and was beaten quite a few times down the wing. He looks better going forward but isn't the quickest getting back.

Billington 8- Been injured for a bit this season but played very well I though today, decent defensively (but does need work) but awesome getting forward and caused problems with good balls into the box.

O'Connor 7- Had a good game but was poor for the goal, if it was him. Looks comfortable on the ball and had one good run forward in the second half with the ball. Irish Under 19 or 17 international and could be one for the future.

Pearson 6- Had a decent game but was shrugged off the ball a few times but seeing as he is only about 16 then he will get stronger.

O'Sullivan 6- Started on the right then switched to left then back to the right again for the second half. Looked very good on the ball but struggled with making the right choices but did grow in confidence in the second half.

Maclaren 6- Had a very quiet game despite getting the goal which showed good anticipation. Struggled to get on the ball and couldn't shrug off his marker.

Lindsay 6- Mr Versatile for the kids, seen him play numerous positions now with this performance in CM. Seems to play well wherever he plays and will be interesting to see which position he settles in.

Knowles 7- Had a good game today in a rare start for him this year. Showed willingness to get in for a tackle and showed a great range of passing.

Vastic 6- Played more in the hole today and looked uncomfortable there, didn't seem to be able to find the balance between midfield and attack. Seeing as he is a striker I don't think this is surprising. Showed good touches on the ball.

Rustemas 6- Large lad and built stronger than most 16 year olds, see him as an Allardyce striker, though he does need to win more headers although the 2 CB's for Stoke weren't small, I think tallness is a trend for Stoke through the ranks, one defender was built like Jon Parkin too.

SUB Pivkovski 6- Showed good touches and good turn of pace when he came on.

Half time was brief to say the least think they just wanted to get on with it because of the weather. I did meet Sam Allardyce whilst trying to find the toilets at half time though! :)

Just a last minute reminder about the game tonight! Tough game against an Everton side unbeaten since the end of october I think. They have already beaten and drawn with us so far in the league. Both were close games, Rovers looking for a win after not winning in the league since before the winter break. The Everton side is strong with around 8 players with competitive 1st team experience compared to Rovers one if Jones plays. Winners play Chelsea in a 2 legged semi final. Free for season ticket holders, otherwise £3. Get down and support the lads.

Despite me asking for fans to go down,due to a cock-up at home I couldn't go. Embarrassing I know.

Have to say its a great result for them tonight,beating a team that hadn't lost since october is an amazing result.

Osawe is still an under 16 but has looked promising when I've seen him,bright future perhaps.

Bring on chelsea, we beat them 1st game of the season so there's hope!

Well done lads,let's get the league form back on track.

Just got back and all I can say the MOM by a million miles was Jackson Ramm, the little right back, absolutely superb cant speak highly enough about his performance tonight. Whenever the Everton left winger got ahead of Ramm, young Ramm still stopped the Evertonian despite being at a disadvantage.

Plus when he had the ball going forward it was rarely wasted definitely the pick of the bunch though the current youth team isnt about just one player.

The win was based on a solid defence. Everton looked for the most part the team most likely to win the game. If they had got the second goal, I doubt Rovers would have come back.

But, Rovers kept their shape and never gave an inch. Agree with the view that Ramm was excellent, both defensively and offensively.

The pace of Banton was a threat, yet he does seem to disappear for spells. I suppose that's what happens when you're young and playing wide. Like to see him play central sometime. TBH, there wasn't a rovers player that looked a cut above the norm for this standard. I didn't see any future Dunn's, Duff's, Jonnty's or Beatties. A solid team effort rather than any outstanding individuals.

A very good win, against a very good Everton team that just couldn't quite get the better of the rovers defence.

Good turn out as well. Both sides of the JW lower open.

Aye I Was there tonight, bloody cold wasn't it!

I thought the number five had a pretty solid game at the back (Grant Hanley?) if he maintains that kind of standard he will be in the reserves for sure...

Quite enjoyed tonight, was a quite a good atmosphere all of us in the lower tiers, will be back for the Semi-final.

I went too - Ramm & our 2 centre backs did well. Centre backs very good in the air too.

1st half we were crap, 2nd half improved. Osawe or whatever he's called with a very good finish for the winner.

Knowles, Hitchcock & Bowen dont look good enough to me. Banton looked good in very short spells, rest of the game he went missing.

Decent crowd on, and a few Evertonians their too. Jose Baxter there best player by far...but he got very wound up towards the end.

Onto the Semi - hope more fans can make the effort. :brfc: Nice to see Dunny there to watch the youth players too!!

Aye I Was there tonight, bloody cold wasn't it!

I thought the number five had a pretty solid game at the back (Grant Hanley?) if he maintains that kind of standard he will be in the reserves for sure...

Quite enjoyed tonight, was a quite a good atmosphere all of us in the lower tiers, will be back for the Semi-final.

Grant has played 4 games this year for the reserves.

Interesting to see Banton obviously had his usual game tonight,he does his disappearing act often. Also still don't think Hitchcock gets enough credit for his lone striker role.He was given a pro deal at start of season so there is something there. Bowen obviously had a quiet game to,I find he's either amazing or very average!

I went too - Ramm & our 2 centre backs did well. Centre backs very good in the air too.

1st half we were crap, 2nd half improved. Osawe or whatever he's called with a very good finish for the winner.

Knowles, Hitchcock & Bowen dont look good enough to me. Banton looked good in very short spells, rest of the game he went missing.

Decent crowd on, and a few Evertonians their too. Jose Baxter there best player by far...but he got very wound up towards the end.

Onto the Semi - hope more fans can make the effort. :brfc: Nice to see Dunny there to watch the youth players too!!

If Phil Jones hadnt have been injured when he did when Rovers had already used two subs and were about to put their final sub on ,would it have been little Jordan Bowen coming off instead of the injured Phil Jones.

Archived