BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Enough Is Enough

ABBEY

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In light of tonight's 4-1 capitulation against Man. City, Big Sam's side have now managed 8 league games without a win. My patience with the man in charge is wearing painstakingly thin. No one will argue that managing Rovers is an easy task in today's modern game, but Sam is making an even bigger meal out of this job. It's always difficult cashing in your best players (Friedel, Bentley, Warnock, Santa Cruz) but have Rovers done enough to replace them?

Nikola Kalinic - Big Sam made one of Rover's more expensive signings in Croatia's Nikola Kalinic, but overlooks him on a weekly basis. The guy is never going to achieve any consistency when he's reduced to substitute appearances and it can't be doing wonders for his young confidence either. His promising partnership with Di Santo is never given the light of day either.

Michel Salgado - Big Sam twisted the board's arm to accommodate the Real Madrid legend onto the books, but he has been another player used sparingly and is soaking up valuable wages. When Sam does eventually play him, he shoves the 34 year-old on the wing, instead of pulling him inside to compensate his lack of pace. He can pass, he can tackle...so why not? Which brings us onto...

Keith Andrews - Maybe I don't have Big Sam's trained eye, but I can't fathom how this guy deserves a starting place in midfield - injuries notwithstanding. All he can do is jog about like a big pansy and point his finger around with a false sense of authority. Serious questions must be raised as to why we told Fulham to get lost in the summer.

Tactics -

Much has been made about 4-5-1 vs. 4-4-2. Unfortunately, the 4-5-1 formation harks back to Sam's Bolton days, which is why many fans are in uproar the moment it's announced. I don't have any preference so long as the system is efficient and gets results. At the moment, neither are reaping any reward. We lack any sort of structure and organisation, and our midfield is severely starved of pace, width and creativity.

I'm at a loss as to why Sam persists with Gael Givet at left-back. Is it bad enough that we lack pace in midfield that we should extend this to our full-backs? Givet is a centre-back, full-back cover at best.

Part of me wonders if Big Sam's health problems and his time at Newcastle have sapped his passion for this job. He never looks the most enthused of men when talking to the media, and it's a far cry from the Cheshire Cat who rejoiced in his overachievements at Bolton. Does he think that he can run the club in auto-pilot by sticking Di Santo up front and hoping the methodical numbers game will keep the club above water? That's the epiphany I got after watching the first half surrender against Man. City.

• Backroom

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree. We're on a one way road to relegation with him in charge. He does not learn from his mistakes and has no Plan B. We're as bad now as we were under Ince.

Agreed I've seen enough. Consistantly playing di santo on his own with no support then subbing him at half time for a poor performance..... Yeah nice one sam. The players tonight played better when they just sacked off SAMs tactics and just played their own games. Sick and tired of watching us we are ######. Put neil mcdonald in charge we played well when he took over.

Not only is their a total lack of coaching the team just seem to be interested. I posted a number of weeks back that I was increasingly concerned by the lack of development with the team and it seems to be getting worse.

I doubt that A - Sam would go or B - Williams would push him.

Can't believe I'd say this, but I really don't care if we beat Villa. Can you imagine Allardyce leading out that team at Wembley against one of the Manc teams in front of millions on TV? It would just be one huge embarrassment- I'm struggling to find anything to be proud about in the current set up. That's a sure fire sign we need a change in management! :angry2::angry2:

Couldn't agree more with the above post, well summarised.

One point I would make is that I dont believe its the players or formations. Its the tactics and more worryingly the mentality of our team, we just dont seem to want it, dont seem to be up for it, dont seem to care... That includes BS, I've been quite supportive of him in the past as I agree he has a really tough job on his hands, but as I've mentioned previously, he comes across as if he doesnt want to be here... which..

...is replicated into his team, unfortunately for us.

Things must change. Quick.

Its getting to the point soon where we may have to make a change in order to stay up, but like i said on the Allardyce thread, i can't think of a manager who can turn us around. In history, the world of sports is littered with teams that have had a point where they have peaked and from then on its a rapid decline and it seems nothing can change that. I get the feeling this is happening to Rovers, we have been in decline for years and relegation to me seems inevitable whoever the manager is.

The fact of the matter is if we did sack Sam, bang goes any hopes of signing anyone in the January window. All our dough would be spent compensating Sam and his backroom staff. That's the situation we find ourselves in.

You cant suggest a huge risk such as Big Col and Tugay or Coleman, Shearer, Newell. We cant risk it if it comes to that point even. We will end up with a "safe" choice like last season with Allardyce, pure and simple.

Souness anyone? No IMO he is NOT the answer. There is better. even Copple would be better than Souness - or phil Brown. At least they have ago at any team.

Phil Brown? From Allardyce to his karaoke singing fake tanned protege? NO WAY.

Coppell and his team of robots?

Curbishley who doesnt get hired by anyone?

Or old school Reid? Nope none of the above for sure.

Mark Hughes between all the names thrown around here, even on a 6 month contract, which is much more likely to be accepted if offered.

Archived