BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] West Ham Vs Rovers

BPF

Roberts made that chance all on his own, we dont have anyother striker who would have even got into that positon never mind score it! I think now Benni has gone he is deffo out best striker, he just needs someone up with him to put the tap in's in!

Jason mate, congratulations on your MBE :lol:

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don't get "this was an excellent performance yesterday" that people keep bringing up. It was a good result no question but the performance was not good especially in the first half. First half we were sat too deep, our passing was awful and we were under a great amount of pressure at times. Some of our clearing was terrible how many times did we punt the ball away straight to a West Ham player to put us under more pressure. We may have had the best chance of the half when Pedersen's free-kick hit the bar but West Ham should have punished us for our shoddy performance.

Second half we played better, largely down to the fact we were hoofing the ball less and we put more pressure on the opposition by closing down more and actually attacking them.

Excellent point overall but if we play like we did in the first half against Stoke i can see us in trouble.

I don't know about others, and to be fair, I haven't been saying it was an "excellent" performance either, but I do believe it was a very good one. The reason is because although it was not pretty, it was deliberate and the team executed the tactics very well. I'm not sure if I've just been less attentive in previous games, but I thought that some of our worst matches were just us playing terrible football, but against West Ham I was carefully watching the game and it looked like we were deliberately breaking up play and sending the ball up in the air, not because we were devoid of ideas, but because this was the best way to keep West Ham from playing against us.

Sam has said previously that often his strategy is to nullify the opponent's attack before trying to have a go ourselves, so it seemed like against West Ham we did exactly that. Nullify their attack and frustrate them in the first half and then play some more fluid football in the second. So from that point of view I think it was a great performance, from the point of view of us playing unattractive football, then no it wasn't.

I listened to the game on the radio yesterday, and all in all it seemed like a solid performance. Upton Park has long been a bogey ground for us, so any sort of result was a bonus for me, be it Allardyce, Hughes or King Kenny in charge.

Good point.

Still cross we didn't win it, there for the taking.

Please can someone find a use for Diouf that doesn't involve 'playing' for my team?

(Someone trashed the disabled toilet* so we had to brave the hordes of West Ham fans on the concourse. Most of them were actually very nice - probably just as well we didn't win under the circumstances.

*definitely not a Rovers Fan as there were only four of us there and none of us used the toilet during the match...)

Roberts made that chance all on his own, we dont have anyother striker who would have even got into that positon never mind score it! I think now Benni has gone he is deffo out best striker, he just needs someone up with him to put the tap in's in!

Bit baffled by this statement :wacko:

Archived