BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] West Ham Vs Rovers

BPF

If Jason had the ability to finish he'd be a top class striker. But he doesn't... :(

You should probably amend that to "If Jason had the ability to finish, head the ball and a good first touch he'd be a top class striker."

Amazing strength and a really good turn and a bit of pace. But everything else is sub standard unfortunately.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Jason had the ability to finish he'd be a top class striker. But he doesn't... :(

He just lacks composure. But all this rubbish about stealing points from us is nonsense. If it was a cross that came in and he missed it, that'd be different. But he created the chance himself - the fact he missed it was frustrating but he shouldnt be victimised as apart from the miss he came on, worked hard and caused the defence more problems than Kalinic did or I'd imagine Di Santo wouldve done.

• Backroom

At least we've got throught this last game in january unscathed,i always look forward to the final day of the transfer window and this is no exception as we should see some movement.

Nice to get away from West Ham with a point for once, and if anyone deserved the 3 points, it was us.

Not the best of games, but at least we created some chances. Good save from Green on Olsson's shot, and wasn't Givet's shot deflected off an arm before being cleared off the line?

Typical Roberts finish. First getting himself into a great position, but then passing it back to their goalie. Strange how he never seems to learn how to put them in.

It's interesting to see MGP play in the middle of the park. He takes a little time on the ball and actually tries to pick out good passes, unlike many of our other midfielders. Poor corners for a while, but they got better towards the end. The throw-ins actually had some power late on too, making them kinda dangerous.

Thought Kalinic did quite well getting the ball down and laying it off. Would think he was tiring when taken off. Lots of battling with the defenders and went to the ground quite a few times.

Defence looked quite decent, especially Samba and Nelsen had the center covered well.

Robinson not threatened a lot, but looked safe when called upon.

Next year we'll get them down there...unless they go down :-)

I would have taken a 0-0 at the start of the day, so it's okay. If we'd had a little more desire to attack we probably could have won the game, considering how toothless West Ham are and the fact they were pretty under-strength, but we all know how Sam operates by now. Roberts showed today why we need to get rid. Ditto Diouf, by the sounds of it.

Sounds like an honest analysis of today's game. I'm glad we were able to avoid another Upton Park hoodoo and take home a point. Sam will feel fully vindicated by his approach to the game, even though I felt we could have opened things up and try to go for the jugular.

I found bringing on Andrew when Reid was on the bench bizarre to say the least. But to be fair he broke up the play really well and I think only gave away the ball once. Arguably his best performance for us this season.

We still need to sell them both though.

I didn't realise Reid was on the bench, but I agree that bringing Andrews and Roberts on was dubious, but they did well and I find it bizarre that we can have people writing them off before they even come on the pitch.

Roberts for Beattie would be ok, selling Andrews would be nice, but unlikely to happen right now. We need to get rid of Diouf, but that's unlikely to happen as well.

Good result, wasn't that impressed with the overall performance however. Aside from the point i don't there are many if any positives to take going into our next game.

Sit back and provide no pressure like we did in the first half until the 55th-60th minute against a better side than West Ham in this league and you will get hammered. Second half we were better and had some better chances but so did West Ham, if Cole had fallen over it would have been a penalty for a shirt pull by Nelsen.

Today highlighted for me that Roberts needs to go, i hope the interest in him from Wolves is true as you cannot rely on him to get the goal needed to sneak a win.

Perhaps Beattie might be a good option to bring in if we are going to play like we did until the 55th minute week in week out as the hoof ball just doesn't work for young Niko. Pretty much a lost cause for him as the service was dire and he had no support whatsoever.

Happy with the point but it could have been a different result today for both sides.

Clear penalty not given to us. Just watching the analysis and Diamanti's hand pushes the ball onto Coles foot on the line. If it didnt touch his hand, that was going in.

I'll bet you good money it'll be written off on MOTD. Or just not shown.

Nice to get away from West Ham with a point for once, and if anyone deserved the 3 points, it was us.

Not the best of games, but at least we created some chances. Good save from Green on Olsson's shot, and wasn't Givet's shot deflected off an arm before being cleared off the line?

Typical Roberts finish. First getting himself into a great position, but then passing it back to their goalie. Strange how he never seems to learn how to put them in.

It's interesting to see MGP play in the middle of the park. He takes a little time on the ball and actually tries to pick out good passes, unlike many of our other midfielders. Poor corners for a while, but they got better towards the end. The throw-ins actually had some power late on too, making them kinda dangerous.

Thought Kalinic did quite well getting the ball down and laying it off. Would think he was tiring when taken off. Lots of battling with the defenders and went to the ground quite a few times.

Defence looked quite decent, especially Samba and Nelsen had the center covered well.

Robinson not threatened a lot, but looked safe when called upon.

Next year we'll get them down there...unless they go down :-)

It looks as though he's holding the ball for a fraction of a second longer to keep it lower (which lets the ball keep it's pace, rather than looping up and down). Get Reid to do this and we'll have a Delap. (Reid's throws against Fulham were the same as Peders' loopers but much pacier.....he may be a new weapon if he stays fit as he's shown some bite in midfield too!)

Well considering the ball was pumped up to him at head height and he had no support from any of the midfield, is it suprising?

Needed a partner or MGP to help him.

O2G's is right when he says he's not good in the air, in fact he's poor - IMO. He's also very lightweight as shown by the number of times he's throwing himself at the central defenders and going to ground looking for free kicks. Nor is he anything more than one paced.

He can't play the lone striker role Modes. He's very lightweight and didn't win a ball in the air all afternoon - no matter what the support.

He can't play the lone striker role Modes. He's very lightweight and didn't win a ball in the air all afternoon - no matter what the support.

I don't agree, he has shown with support and the ball on the deck (not just in the air all the time) he can work as a lone striker if needed as seen with the Wigan and Villa cup game. Today it was just aimless hoofs with no one around him. I still think overall to get the best out of him he needs striker partner.

I don't agree, he has shown with support and the ball on the deck (not just in the air all the time) he can work as a lone striker if needed as seen with the Wigan and Villa cup game. Today it was just aimless hoofs with no one around him. I still think overall to get the best out of him he needs striker partner.

Not expecting to change you mind Den as you have been talking crap about Kalinic ever since he joined and a leopard can't change its spots.

To play lone front man RVR, you have to be able to take high balls and you have to be strong. Didn't you know that?

To play lone front man RVR, you have to be able to take high balls and you have to be strong. Didn't you know that?

Kalinic isn't the player Sam thinks or wants him to be. He's not a Kevin Davies, a James Beattie or a Emile Heskey. He's technically gifted and prefers the ball to feet. We aren't making the most of his abilities.

Kalinic isn't the player Sam thinks or wants him to be. He's not a Kevin Davies, a James Beattie or a Emile Heskey. He's technically gifted and prefers the ball to feet. We aren't making the most of his abilities.

Yes, agreed.

Incorrect, you should know by now there are two types of lone strikers. You have those that use aerial ability to link up play by winning headers and there are others who use their body more and like the ball to feet. Niko from what I've seen has decent control, first touch and can shield a ball well, especially when its given to him on the deck. He also looks a lot stronger than when he started his first game against Sunderland.

I don't think the lone striker role is Niko's best position or would get the best out of him but he's not totally crap at it which i get the impression you are trying to infer. He is more of a poacher and needs a partner if you want to get the best out of him.

Don't agree, I think he knows he isn't a Big target man but that doesn't mean he can't play up top alone, ask Agbonlahor and van Persie, that would be why I guess we are meant to be looking at Beattie

I'll bet you good money it'll be written off on MOTD. Or just not shown.

It looks as though he's holding the ball for a fraction of a second longer to keep it lower (which lets the ball keep it's pace, rather than looping up and down). Get Reid to do this and we'll have a Delap. (Reid's throws against Fulham were the same as Peders' loopers but much pacier.....he may be a new weapon if he stays fit as he's shown some bite in midfield too!)

The things we get excited over these days. Kind of depressing, isn't it? Anyway, we took a point...move on.

Hope Basturk is fit soon. Sam seems to offer Keef a cameo (at minimum) any time Dunn/Grella is injured.

I don't think the lone striker role is Niko's best position or would get the best out of him but he's not totally crap at it which i get the impression you are trying to infer. He is more of a poacher and needs a partner if you want to get the best out of him.

Isn't that what I've just said - he can't play the lone strikers role? You know, you either think he's good at it, or you think he's not.

Don't accuse someone of talking crap, then basically agree with the point.

Don't agree, I think he knows he isn't a Big target man but that doesn't mean he can't play up top alone, ask Agbonlahor and van Persie, that would be why I guess we are meant to be looking at Beattie

I never said he couldn't play alone. But pumping long balls for him to control on a six pence aren't the way forward.

Isn't that what I've just said - he can't play the lone strikers role? You know, you either think he's good at it, or you think he's not.

Don't accuse someone of talking crap, then basically agree with the point.

I said he can play the lone striker role if:

1- he has support.

2- its not all aerial.

You are the one saying he definitely 100% cannot play the lone striker role, I disagree saying he can if the criteria i mentioned is met but its not his ideal position. When he has support and the ball is played to feet often and not just long ball he has proven he can play a lone striker role.

I never said he couldn't play alone. But pumping long balls for him to control on a six pence aren't the way forward.

Obviously that's not the approach we'll take in every game, as we saw against Fulham, Villa and Wigan. If Di Santo could grow into that target man role then we would have good options for games. Play Kalinic when we're playing more attacking, along the ground football... play Di Santo when we're playing more defensive, direct football.

You are the one saying he definitely 100% cannot play the lone striker role, I disagree saying he can if the criteria i mentioned is met but its not his ideal position. When he has support and the ball is played to feet often and not just long ball he has proven he can play a lone striker role.

As long as he's playing for Rovers, away from home he will get a lot of long, high balls to deal with. I don't remember Rovers being any other way - we're not Arsenal. So no, I don't think he will be able to play that role here.

I think you probably agree with that really?

I said he can play the lone striker role if:

1- he has support.

?

Archived