BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Group C Discussion - Algeria, England, Slovenia, Usa

Guest Kamy100

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair we comfortably beat a pathetically average team. Their keeper made three world class saves.

Their keeper was also responsible for the goal. Flapped it into the net at point blank range.

• Backroom

On another day it would have been 3 or 4-0, the performance was fine. Considering the immense pressure piled onto the team they did OK. It wasn't the greatest technical performance in the world and we had some shaky moments, but we were quite obviously the better team by some distance. It wasn't great, but it's a start.

Can't really begrudge the US topping the group - they had a perfectly good goal ruled out against Slovenia to win the match and unlike us had a genuine go at Algeria.

Hmm.

Failure to get a 2nd goal is going to rob us of a semi-final dream unless something odd starts happening in other Groups.

Even so, we are where France are not and Germany, Spain and Italy are sweating buckets over whether they will get there as well... or not.

Well done USA- deserved Group winners.

Well done to the USA ! Looks like we've got to admit it, that we are falling behind the Americans in terms of football.

From an England point of view think theres only Gerrard, Ashley Cole, and Defoe, who look fit enough to run, some of the rest look like they are designed to be bodybuilders more than runners.

Well done to the USA ! Looks like we've got to admit it, that we are falling behind the Americans in terms of football.

Definitely.

We drew against them in a difficult encounter where they managed to grab a goal from a goalkeeping howler.

We were second best throughout....

:wstu:

Fair play to the US for finishing first. Going forward they look like they are creating a lot of chances which I'd love England to do, but defensively the USA have at times escaped with some shocking defending. England, however, have only conceded 1 goal and that was our error. We've not even had a settled defence due to injuries/suspensions and in the last two games, David James hasn't really been put under much pressure.

I don't want to seem like I'm discrediting the American team, I think they're great to watch and have a really good team spirit but I don't really see many players who would improve the England first team.

Even if we had topped the group, we would have more than likely met Uruguay, pretty much one of the form teams, Mexico are certainly far better than what we have played today.

Last 16 was the best I could see for us before it all kicked off

Ghana to win tonight please, with Gyan scoring a hat trick.

I really do not like playing Germany, 66 seems such a long time ago, except for the BLITZED (5-1) of course.

That's one of those saves where you're lucky if you keep it out, and unlucky if the keeper saves it.

Um, no. Any keeper with decent reflexes will palm that away/over the bar. Not fumble it into the goal.

. . . and good to see the United States get through, they really deserved it today so they would have been very unlucky not to get through. Now the real tournament starts.

More than unlucky, criminally cheated. But that's part of modern football. Why won't FIFA allow the refs to look at videos? It boggles the mind.

USA # 1

Always and forever. B)

Can't really begrudge the US topping the group - they had a perfectly good goal ruled out against Slovenia to win the match and unlike us had a genuine go at Algeria.

And another goal (Dempsey's) struck off today against Algiera, though the replay showed he was onside. But for imaginary fouls and/or the linseman's bad eyesight, we would have 2 wins and 7 points (though the ranking would not have changed so justice won out despite all).

All in all, though I am very pleased. The team played well, kept the tempo up, and was unlucky not to score 3-4 goals today against Algeria. We'll do well against whomever we play next.

Well done USA- deserved Group winners.

:tu:

And congratulations to England. I'm glad you made it (as it gives me a second team to root for), and I think the hiccups to date have more to do with personalities than lack of skill and fitness. So it is a correctable problem. The sooner the better.

Is it possible (assuming the matches go the right way) for there to be a USA v. England final if coming out of the samge group?

Guest Kamy100

Well that was a bit better wasn't it? Slovenia are no Argentina, but England players were under a lot of pressure and today they did the business, could easily have been 3 or 4 nil.

People a bit worried about finishing second and meeting Germany in the next round and possibly Argentina after that. I say bring them on, of course England will have to improve further but the German's are a good side beat not unbeatble and Argentina might be scary going forward but defensively they could be exposed.

Archived