Group C Discussion - Algeria, England, Slovenia, Usa

Guest Kamy100

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
#

21:24 Commentary

Tonight's result, by the way, means that one of the United States, Uruguay, South Korea or Ghana are guaranteed to be semi-finalists. That's what it would have meant to England had they won the group. Ho hum.

:(

• Backroom

Great that we went through but so frustrating that we didn't go for a second near the end knowing what would happen if USA scored.

Much better but still not great with Germany then potentially Argentina after that things will get tricky

Saying we've got no chance against the Germans is just as stupid as saying we'll smash the Germans. It will be a very intriguing game, a side like England with numerous players with big tournament experience, big names that haven't done well as a team and underperformed, against a German side with lots of talent but not that much big tournament experience through the side and who are playing better than the sum of their parts.

Today we showed plenty of play which quite clearly was a class above Slovenia. We showed this only very occasionally vs USA and against Algeria absolutely not at all. We didn't do it through quick passing and moving like we see the Spanish etc do as that's simply not our style, but we used the way that England have played over the years to good effect; incisive pinpoint balls from defence to attack (there were numerous superb passes played by various players), quality crossing, battling ball winning in midfield. If the finishing matched it we would have scored three or four.

The last ditch defending at the end was only because we didn't finish the chances off and quite rightly we were cautious of the Slovenians hitting us with a sucker punch so we sat back. But if Upson and Terry can produce similar goal saving tackles against the big teams they'll be worth their weight in gold.

We need to raise our game against Germany yet again, that much is true. I think Gerrard was much less shackled to the wing today and almost played in a free role. Hopefully there's more to come from Rooney.

At the end of the day Germany have played much better than us this tournament, they're a more attractive team to watch and they've got qualities we don't. But let's not forget our own either. It's anyones guess who'll win out but I think the fear factor we saw hamper the England players in all three matches will hopefully be lifted as losing to a strong German side wouldn't necessarily bring out negative press and would be no great shame. Beating them would have a whole country cheering and in two games would transform us from no hopers to justifiable genuine contenders.

Dont think England will do well against the Germans - todays game was poor, but an improvement in the sense that ye won. The BBC sugercoated it but had england lost no doubt the england team would have been slated

Dont think England will do well against the Germans - todays game was poor, but an improvement in the sense that ye won. The BBC sugercoated it but had england lost no doubt the england team would have been slated

Come off it, we created half a dozen great chances and the biggest criticism you could give was a failure to finish things off. But given a choice between that and a complete failure to create as we did vs Algeria it's a bit of a no brainer.

All you Capello doubters. Take it all back.

We played 4-4-2, Gerrard was good and Defoe scored. Non of the Cole lovers would have had Defoe on the pitch.

Let's not get carried away, it was only 1-0, but the pressure was immense.

Full credit to Milner. I think he has just nailed the right hand side of midfield. Brilliant.

:rover: for capello put lard@rse the guy a fool,anyone who thinks heskey is worth a place on the plane let alone the team is a fool :blush::brfc:

Fair play to the US for finishing first. Going forward they look like they are creating a lot of chances which I'd love England to do, but defensively the USA have at times escaped with some shocking defending. England, however, have only conceded 1 goal and that was our error. We've not even had a settled defence due to injuries/suspensions and in the last two games, David James hasn't really been put under much pressure.

I don't want to seem like I'm discrediting the American team, I think they're great to watch and have a really good team spirit but I don't really see many players who would improve the England first team.

Cherundolo has played a better tournament than Johnson, Dempsey and Donovan would slot in perfectly well on the left and right and Bradley has been great in midfield (can't think of any English 22 year old central midfielders that are better).

What we really lack, and will hurt us most, is a finisher, a la Defoe or Bent. Plenty of guys that do the work and create the space and chances, but no one that easily puts them away. Think all 4 of our goals were by midfielders (6 if you count the 2 that were taken away - still by midfielders).

Loved that before the matches yesterday, people were talking about how easy England's path to the semis would be, forgetting they had to win group first and that Uruguay is a damn good side - beat Brazil and Argentina in qualifying, didn't they?

I only watched the US highlights last night, and it's a good job they won because they'd have been right to feel completely cheated otherwise. What on earth was that linesman thinking when he disallowed that goal? And coming after the ludicrous disallowed winner against Slovenia too.

I don't think there's a conspiracy here, but it's always interesting to see how most refs will give these decisions against "minor" teams which they'd never give against a bigger one. Hard to imagine anyone else being denied that goalline handball which deprived them of a semi-final (and likely final) place in 2002; at the same time, hard to imagine them being allowed a double-handball to score, and then have an amusing chuckle with the ref after (see Brazil vs. Cote d'Ivoire).

Hard to imagine anyone else being denied that goalline handball which deprived them of a semi-final (and likely final) place in 2002;

The 2002 tournament where Josh O Brien punched a ball clear against Mexico in the penalty area ?

The 2002 tournament where Josh O Brien punched a ball clear against Mexico in the penalty area ?

Oh yeah! As you suggest, that kind of thing happens in lots of games. I suppose my point is that I feel referees think a lot harder about game-changing decisions for bigger teams.

Actually, watching that 2002 USA-Germany one again you can see how the linesman missed it, but Dallas's "it was ball to hand, not hand to ball" rationale is a bit

flaky.

MOM - Milner...also Gerrard did well & Terry did well, especially when he threw himself at the ball. James too!

Should have been 4-0 but a wins a win. If your going to win the world cup you have to beat the best - so bring it on!!! About time we faced a decent side anyway!!

Also - Is it just me who thinks Glen Johnson is SERIOUSLY over-rated!?!?

Also - Is it just me who thinks Glen Johnson is SERIOUSLY over-rated!?!?

Great going forward, but suspect defensively.

If we played with 3 CB's and wing-backs, we would have two of the best at the WC in Johnson and Cole imo ....

Great going forward, but suspect defensively.

If we played with 3 CB's and wing-backs, we would have two of the best at the WC in Johnson and Cole imo ....

To be honest we're not a million miles from that now, Johnson and Cole do push very far up because of the lack of natural width in the midfield, and Barry sits in front of the two centre backs.

So in effect we are playing three defensive plays and attacking full backs. If we went for three natural centre backs we might give ourselves a problem since we're struggling to even select two at the moment.

Find it very amusing how Redknapp has been raving over Milner's crossing ability both last night (TV) and this morning (radio). 'He doesn't dribble or get past his man, but just like Beckham makes a bit of room and can whip over a terrific ball' is the jist of it. I've some news for you Mr Redknapp - that bloke you paid us 17 million for is a damned sight better at that than Milner. Get him playing decent.

I've some news for you Mr Redknapp - that bloke you paid us 17 million for is a damned sight better at that than Milner. Get him playing decent.

Or alternatively, loan him to us next season. ;)

Find it very amusing how Redknapp has been raving over Milner's crossing ability both last night (TV) and this morning (radio). 'He doesn't dribble or get past his man, but just like Beckham makes a bit of room and can whip over a terrific ball' is the jist of it. I've some news for you Mr Redknapp - that bloke you paid us 17 million for is a damned sight better at that than Milner. Get him playing decent.

Or, alternatlvely, we can take him back off your hands for a nominal fee so you can squeeze Milner in.

Sorry, Topman, didn't see your reply!

Been extremely impressed by Brecko. He's only 26! Looks a lot older. Totally solid defensively. Reminds of a better version of Ooijer. Composed and intelligent but with extra strength.

Plays for Koln though, so not much chance of us signing him.

He's been the best right back at the tournament for me, along with Ricardo Osorio. As much I would like someone like him, a right back is the last thing we need. Too bad he isn't a left back!

:rover: for capello put lard@rse the guy a fool,anyone who thinks heskey is worth a place on the plane let alone the team is a fool :blush::brfc:

Heskey did a good job in qualifying and we looked much better with him up front than with any of the other combinations.

However in this World Cup it just isn't working.

Archived