BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] A New Rovers Logo

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for the kind words. Again, I didnt mean to offend anyone by suggesting we change, but at the same time Im sure there were many opposed to the logo change of the late 70's.

I wouldnt have thought it would have been widespread knowledge as they wouldnt have had the internet.

I think you will find the Rovers badge was designed at the end of the '60s and was mounted over the Nuttall Street entrance in the '70s.

It finally appeared on the shirts in '89.

I'm sure that's right I've just dug out a Rothman's football yearbook for 74/5 and the Club badge is identical to what is on the shirts now.

It just didn't appear on the shirts that way mainly I suspect due to the fact then manufacturing techniques didn't allow for it.

The first time I can remember any sort of badges on the shirts is 73/4 - a big red splodge of a rose which was kept for the Centenary year in 75 and for the rest of that decade at least.

I would respectfully suggest the Club crest is far superior to any of those 70's/early 80's designs or indeed the designs on this thread.

74/75 but may well have been the 73/74 allowing for the centenary year.

152n5sp.jpg

89/90 current.

2n0k8xs.jpg

Hardly traditional and historical never the less it's the best IMO, and when you look back over the years it has worked well with all the shirt colours.

I'm not sure that the new designs in the OP would, you may have to switch the coloured halves of the shirt around.

Still nice to see alternatives never the less.

I think a competition might be a good idea. Let some of the younger generation have some input.

I love the original badge, and I always will but it's good to always look around at new ideas.

I will ask my girlfriend to have a go, she is also a professional designer.

I despise change and I fully expected to come on here and hate the design and the idea. But it's really, really nice.

And it has made me think that when the club does change hands it would be the perfect time to change the badge. The old badge would become the symbol of the Jack Walker era and could be retired fittingly when his money stops being put into the club.

The current badge is a gorgeous badge and this design is basically what the current badge would have been if it was designed now. Fantastic design. Brava.

I can't believe what I'm reading on this thread.

As it's apparently so kool to change something which is perfect already for change's sake, we might as well retire the blue and white halves as well while we're at it.

The badge will change at some point. It has done before and it will do again. If it was to change now it would be an ideal time.

As it's apparently so kool to change something which is perfect already for change's sake, we might as well retire the blue and white halves as well while we're at it.

Perfect for you maybe, perfect because you were young when it was introduced. When this design was created, I'm pretty sure a lot of people complained at the time, even though you now believe it to be "perfect".

Designs become stale over time and lose their impact and appeal, that is a fact of life and cannot be labelled as being the fault of younger people.

It hasn't even been confirmed anyway, I might write to JW and put forward a few ideas.

The badge will change at some point. It has done before and it will do again. If it was to change now it would be an ideal time.

Agreed. Texasrover has produced an ideal replacement. I think if a new era starts for the club, this would be perfect.

It might change at some point eventually, there's certainly no need to change it now though.

Still I have to applaud texasrover for his ingenuity in managing to sneak a huge advert for his design business onto this site free of charge!

Edit: In more recent times the Club also created a logo for the Academy which has the same theme as the current Club crest but more along the lines of a rosebud than the full blown rose.

Very clever imo and we'd lose that theme of continuity if we went to a new design.

It wasn't free if charge though was it? He spent the time creating it free of charge, when presumably he could have spent it doing paid work.

I'm hoping to open a design agency with my girlfriend within the next year, so I'm obviously an advocate of changing designs!

I'm hoping to open a design agency with my girlfriend within the next year, so I'm obviously an advocate of changing designs!

Exactly my point! :P

It's obviously in texasrover's interest for everyone to change designs as well!

I wish you both well with your ventures, but obviously I like the club crest personally.

Poll?

Still I have to applaud texasrover for his ingenuity in managing to sneak a huge advert for his design business onto this site free of charge!

Haha, not my intention at all!

Honestly, all it is is me loving the club and loving design, and wanting to marry the two.

I tried to incorporate elements from each generation of the clubs logo design, because like i said, the tradition is the most important thing to me.

the rose from the 70's. the ribbon is from the mark from the 60's. the general shape is from the current mark.

The typeface, Gill, is an english font that has a little more character than helvetica, the swiss font adorning the current logo.

Of course I love the current logo for all that it stands for, and it will always hold a place in my heart. This was simply a fun exercise that i thought others would enjoy.

I bet people were saying the same thing in 1989.

I'm not saying we should change it because I love our current badge, but we can't get precious over something that hasn't been around very long. If it was the only badge we'd ever had then I'd agree with the outrage.

I'm in exactly the same boat as XLM. I don't like change and expected to moan about this, but having seen it I think I'd actually welcome a change if it happened. Especially if we are to be moving into a new era, it would be quite fitting to retire the crest that we introduced around the beginning of the Walker era.

The spirit of the Luddites who smashed up James Hargreaves' Spinning Jennies in Blackburn still lives on I see.

Great work Texas Rover, definitely an improvement. As to the current one being 'perfect' I beg to differ. It might be comfortable and familiar, but it looks dated rather than timeless. Wigan's and even Burnley's have the timeless traditional look, ours doesn't. What, for example, has the green on it got to do with us or our history?

The logos for Coke, Mars Bar and Cadbury's Dairy Milk - even the Cadbury signature itself - to name a few have all been updated more than once since the mid-70s, and there was a lot more riding on the value of those than on our badge.

I would, however, suggest improvements to TR's efforts. The typeface I feel doesn't capture the fact we have such a long history, it looks too modern and I fear would soon date. A more traditional-looking typeface might work better.

Better than that Rev - Grasshoppers play in blue & white halves but with the blue on the other side. The back of their shirt is currently all white but usually the blue & white (on the back) are on the same side as the front, unlike ours. I'll ring JW........ :lol:

The spirit of the Luddites who smashed up James Hargreaves' Spinning Jennies in Blackburn still lives on I see.

Great work Texas Rover, definitely an improvement. As to the current one being 'perfect' I beg to differ. It might be comfortable and familiar, but it looks dated rather than timeless. Wigan's and even Burnley's have the timeless traditional look, ours doesn't. What, for example, has the green on it got to do with us or our history?

The logos for Coke, Mars Bar and Cadbury's Dairy Milk - even the Cadbury signature itself - to name a few have all been updated more than once since the mid-70s, and there was a lot more riding on the value of those than on our badge.

I would, however, suggest improvements to TR's efforts. The typeface I feel doesn't capture the fact we have such a long history, it looks too modern and I fear would soon date. A more traditional-looking typeface might work better.

Absolute twaddle....our crest is beautiful and doesn't need a cheap looking face-lift....normally a rose does have a green stem, this is why it's on there...and it looks better with.

I think the current badge is very much of its time, it does look dated. And a bit naff if you ask me.

It's not some artefact that's been around since we were formed.

I have absolutely no objection to updating it, it's not some sacred cow.

Incidentally, I think the 60's cup final badge looked better:

39474_458176355991_691415991_6147189_5282946_n.jpg

Archived