BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sunderland v Rovers

philipl

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good pick Topman- I'd certainly go with Hoilett in the hole behind MB Diouf but would play Samba in place of Hanley. I think we will need that additional experience and physical presence.

Bunn will be deputising for Robinson by all accounts so it will be interesting to see if Fielding gets onto the subs bench.

I agree but can Hoilett play in a central role? I dont know if he can. Prefer him wider.

I think he played a roaming striker for the German team he was at, he does cut in a lot from the wings and this position does'nt stop him from roaming out there to pick up the ball.

Nice lineup that Topman and I think in the circumstances its pretty much the best we have.

ROBINSON

EMERTON - NELSEN - HANLEY - GIVET

E. DIOUF - PEDERSEN - LINGANZI - OLSSON

HOILETT

M. DIOUF

I think I still fancy Samba to play in the holding midfield role over Linganzi, and keep Ollson at left back with EH Diouf on the left wing, as we got so much joy on the left against West Brom. I'd like to see Hoilett on the Right, with Mame playing off Benjani.

I think I still fancy Samba to play in the holding midfield role over Linganzi.

I disagree with Samba in the hole, he is a centre half and only a centre half. Like when BFS was playing Jones in the hole, he's not a midfielder. Linganzi's preferable position is holding midfield so naturally he should play there.

Kean said he expects Samba to be fit and play.

Cheers John

I disagree with Samba in the hole, he is a centre half and only a centre half. Like when BFS was playing Jones in the hole, he's not a midfielder. Linganzi's preferable position is holding midfield so naturally he should play there.

Cheers John

Agree that Samba isnt a holding midfielder, but think he can do a job there until we we sort out that posistion, I just think Linganzi hasnt played enough in the first team, and for a game like Sunderland away I would feel more confident with Samba there who has a lot more experience, and physical presence. Just hope he doesnt go with Dunn in the middle again. I think Dunn is going to be far more effective coming off the bench with 20-30 minutes to go in the game, rather than starting. I really hope Hoilett starts, he deserves a chance to actually start a game, would also eventually like to see Morris given more chances, from what I have been told by my contact at the academy, he is a very handy player. Just thing whilst we still need a few points in the bank to guarantee our safety its a bit risky.

I fancy us to at least get a draw on Saturday, from what I here Sunderland have a fewinjury problems of their own to deal with.

Agree that Samba isnt a holding midfielder, but think he can do a job there until we we sort out that posistion, I just think Linganzi hasnt played enough in the first team, and for a game like Sunderland away I would feel more confident with Samba there who has a lot more experience, and physical presence. Just hope he doesnt go with Dunn in the middle again. I think Dunn is going to be far more effective coming off the bench with 20-30 minutes to go in the game, rather than starting. I really hope Hoilett starts, he deserves a chance to actually start a game, would also eventually like to see Morris given more chances, from what I have been told by my contact at the academy, he is a very handy player. Just thing whilst we still need a few points in the bank to guarantee our safety its a bit risky.

I fancy us to at least get a draw on Saturday, from what I here Sunderland have a fewinjury problems of their own to deal with.

I understand, but I think ideally you need a player who knows how to play in that position and that has to be Linganzi. I would rather Dunny played central midfield ahead of MGP or Emo because at least his natural position in centre mid instead of wingers playing in the middle. I'd prefer to see Hoilett on the wing instead of behind the frontman because i dont think he's a real creator in the middle. I would like to see youngsters like Morris come off the bench and get games and gaining experience.

Sunderland's injury list is as bad as ours.

Two hamstring injuries against Blackpool, (Onuoha and Gyan both doubtful)

Without Gyan that leaves them with two strikers fit, Welbeck and Bent so probably a change to their recent formation of 4-3-3, will he risk both strikers in 4-4-2 or go with Bent on his own ???.

Their strong in the CM with Cattermole and Henderson and IMO weak in CD at the moment without Bramble, Turner and Mensah, also been chopping and changing full backs.

Hope Kean has watched how Blackpool got at them down their flanks.

Can see us nicking this by the odd goal.

COYB

Their strong in the CM with Cattermole and Henderson and IMO weak in CD at the moment without Bramble, Turner and Mensah, also been chopping and changing full backs.

They are strong exactly where we are at our weakest. They have good, strong midfielders which I dont think we have. But even if they do have a poor back four, we only have Mame up front who could cause problems.

Sunderland's injury list is as bad as ours.

Two hamstring injuries against Blackpool, (Onuoha and Gyan both doubtful)

Without Gyan that leaves them with two strikers fit, Welbeck and Bent so probably a change to their recent formation of 4-3-3, will he risk both strikers in 4-4-2 or go with Bent on his own ???.

Can see us nicking this by the odd goal.

COYB

Wellbeck did his Hamy in the Blackpool game as well. Even better if he is out as well.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11695_6621841,00.html

found this on Sunderlands website. No mention of Wellbeck been injured, although Cattermole might be out. Pig nose Bruce also moaning about playing lots of games over the xmas/new year period. Last time I checked its the same for every club, and has been like that always. Just have to get on with it.

http://www.safc.com/news/20101230/doubts-over-trio-for-rovers-game_2256213_2254302

COYB

Yes, hopefully he will remember the torrid time we had there last season - when our players seemed quite unable to grasp the concept. Fairly similar to West Brom in that the ball goes out to the flanks a lot, I don't think we had too much of a problem with midfield - but we are a bit depleted at the moment.

As to whom will or will not be playing for Sunderland, I will only believe the line-up that I see with my own eyes on Saturday, on the assumption that Brucie is economical with the truth. Either that or his physio has performed miracles...

Lawro predicts a Sunderland win-

Sunderland v Blackburn

Blackburn had an excellent result at West Brom, which was just what manager Steve Kean needed because he was coming under a little bit of pressure after taking one point from his previous two home matches.

Sunderland had enough chances against Blackpool to win about three games and I think their boss Steve Bruce will say 'forget about that - it was just one of those days'.

The thing that has impressed me about Sunderland this year is how they have responded to bad results - after falling off the horse, they generally have got back on.

Prediction: 2-1

Lawro predicts a Sunderland win-

Sunderland v Blackburn

Blackburn had an excellent result at West Brom, which was just what manager Steve Kean needed because he was coming under a little bit of pressure after taking one point from his previous two home matches.

Sunderland had enough chances against Blackpool to win about three games and I think their boss Steve Bruce will say 'forget about that - it was just one of those days'.

The thing that has impressed me about Sunderland this year is how they have responded to bad results - after falling off the horse, they generally have got back on.

Prediction: 2-1

So 2-0 to Blackburn then. ;)

I don't rate Hoilett as a striker or a midfielder at all. He's clearly best out wide. His finishing whenever he's played has been awful and his passing is average. He's great at playing the Aaron Lennon role... getting on the ball and getting round defenders with his skill and pace and then laying off the ball to our strikers.

He was quite average when he came on against West Brom and played in the middle I thought. Whenever he's been brought on to play on the wing though, he's been really exciting to watch and looked promising.

Mark Bunn starts tomorrow as Paul Robinson is out for 3 weeks. Taken from Paul Plunketts twitter

PaulPlunkettLT Paul Plunkett

Mark Bunn makes his Premier League debut for #Blackburn #Rovers tomorrow. Paul Robinson out for three weeks

Mark Bunn starts tomorrow as Paul Robinson is out for 3 weeks. Taken from Paul Plunketts twitter

Mark Bunn makes his Premier League debut for #Blackburn #Rovers tomorrow. Paul Robinson out for three weeks

Its big loss with Robbo out but Bunn is technically a very good goalkeeper. There are much worse number 2's in the premier league

Archived