BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sunderland v Rovers

philipl

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FA website confirms Salgado suspended for Sunderland match, and not in 7 days time as somebody else stated.

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/~/link.aspx?_id=D6CA03B6740C4E78A1E74E2493E9199B&_z=z

Quite a depleated squad we have at the minute. Difficult to see how we will approach this one. Emo plays this game, and then goes to Qatar to join up with the ozzies, so he will slot into Right Back. Hopefully Samba is back, I think we should use him in a defensive midfield role for this game, given the lack of options we have there at the moment.

Robbo (if fit)/Bunn

Emerton Nelsen Hanley ollson

Samba

Hoilett Pedersen EH Diouf

MB Diouf

Benjani

Samba should help fill the gaps we had in the first half against the Baggies, Mame to play off Benjani, and help out in midfield when we dont have the ball, the lad has bags of energy and determination.

Interestingly Sunderland Onuoha, Gyan and Wellbeck all went off with Hamy injuries against Blackpool.

Considering going to this one on Saturday, Stadium of light is one of the few grounds i've not been to before, although may well be on my way to Buenos Aires on Saturday depending on a few different factors.

Robbo (if fit)/Bunn

Emerton Nelsen Hanley ollson

Samba

Hoilett Pedersen EH Diouf

MB Diouf

Benjani

I agree with Samba heading to defensive mid but i'd be tempted to place Givet back in the heart of defence for Hanley simply due to experience. Hoilett deserves a chance on the wings. Nice attacking team there though on the whole.

I agree with Samba heading to defensive mid but i'd be tempted to place Givet back in the heart of defence for Hanley simply due to experience. Hoilett deserves a chance on the wings. Nice attacking team there though on the whole.

Yeah maybe Givet might come in, Hanley hasnt played that much football due to injuries so might be feeling it after 2 tough games, but if he is ok to go, keep him in. Dunn surely cant play again, he needs to improve his fitness significantly as he is well off the pace. One thing I hope we dont just lump it forward towards Samba at set pieces, was good to see us mixing it up against West Brom.

Yeah maybe Givet might come in, Hanley hasnt played that much football due to injuries so might be feeling it after 2 tough games, but if he is ok to go, keep him in. Dunn surely cant play again, he needs to improve his fitness significantly as he is well off the pace. One thing I hope we dont just lump it forward towards Samba at set pieces, was good to see us mixing it up against West Brom.

I loved the West Brom game, how refreshing it was to see Rovers approach the opposition much more aggressively in terms of attacking instinct. I was neither a huge Sam fan nor a boo boy but having bore witness to some of the most atrocious, ineffective away tactics over the last couple of years, it was fantastic to see us open up the opposition with skill and intelligence in contrast to sheer brawn and power.

I'm just hoping for another fine display. Sure, it'll probably be a much tougher game which will limit the frequency of our attacks but as long as we approach the game in the same way, i'll be delighted.

Also, just a quick point, the last time we won an away game by two clear goals was when Neil MacDonald took charge against Bolton....hopefully a positive sign of things to come...

Sunderland had 31 shots today- the second highest by any side in any game in the Prem this season apparently.

New Year greetings from Salut! Sunderland to my (electronic) pals here. Don't worry too much about those shots on target vs Blackpool - one of our lot admitted that even his granddaughter, not yet one, would have saved most of them. You might be catching us at a good time

For information, your old bete noire Vinjay has done the honours and answered my questions ahead of the game. I think he senses he is not everyone's cup of tea ...

http://salutsunderland.com/2010/12/blackburn-who-are-you/

New Year greetings from Salut! Sunderland to my (electronic) pals here. Don't worry too much about those shots on target vs Blackpool - one of our lot admitted that even his granddaughter, not yet one, would have saved most of them. You might be catching us at a good time

For information, your old bete noire Vinjay has done the honours and answered my questions ahead of the game. I think he senses he is not everyone's cup of tea ...

http://salutsunderland.com/2010/12/blackburn-who-are-you/

Thanks Salut- brilliant stuff to read first thing in the morning. Do any other clubs produce such fruit cakes for their preview interviews?

Thanks Salut- brilliant stuff to read first thing in the morning. Do any other clubs produce such fruit cakes for their preview interviews?

Well I was accused by one or two bolton fans before our recent game of using a man who masquerades as a woman on their message boards , but you have to realise these are internal squabbles which we have no business to get involved in.

Also, you wouldn't believe how hard it can be to get candidates for some of the interviews - and it is pointless running them at all if you cannot be consistent and have one before each match. The plus side is you sometimes get a gem - not Vinjay, maybe, but Jimmy Armfield, who previewed our Blackpool debacle.

Maybe I can attract a fresh Rovers face from here for next season ...

Looks like Robinson is out-

"Meanwhile goalkeeper Paul Robinson was due to have a scan on the calf injury he picked up against West Brom, but early indications are he could be back within the fortnight."

Taken from the same LT article as I posted in ins and outs just now.

Sunderland away is a good trip out. I shan't be going this year however, but I urge you to make an effort if you can. Some decent pubs and a good atmosphere usually.

Last time I went was when Steven Reid scored after running half the length of the pitch unchallenged and whacked it in. That was when Reid was a good player though. Rest of the game was a bit boring.

7622_154813300897_594900897_3492073_6186854_n.jpg

Yeah, who needs versatile, hard-working players!

I admire hard working players and I know are midfield is non existent but I don't think he's a good player, certainly not to play in the centre of midfield. But, again, it comes back to the injuries at the club at the moment.

I'd play:

Robinson/Bunn

Emerton-Samba-Givet-Olsson

Hoilett-Linganzi-Pedersen-E Diouf

Benjani-M Diouf

Subs:

Bunn(or other keeper if Robinson injured)

Hanley

Nelsen (thought he was very poor against West Brom and lucky not to concede)

Chimbonda

Dunn

Morris

Doran

Hmmmmm do you mean the same player who was awarded Man of the Match by Sky Sports, the best player in the game by the Premier League and the Star Man in two newspaper reports?

I'd play:

Robinson/Bunn

Emerton-Samba-Givet-Olsson

Hoilett-Linganzi-Pedersen-E Diouf

Benjani-M Diouf

Subs:

Bunn(or other keeper if Robinson injured)

Hanley

Nelsen (thought he was very poor against West Brom and lucky not to concede)

Chimbonda

Dunn

Morris

Doran

I would agree but not with the dropping of the Admiral. He has to play in my eyes, he's a leadership figure that Big Chris just doesn't have. Play him instead of Olsson. Maybe push Olsson into midfield.

Hmmmmm do you mean the same player who was awarded Man of the Match by Sky Sports, the best player in the game by the Premier League and the Star Man in two newspaper reports?

I might be being a bit harsh on him (probably am), but I thought he made a lot of errors, especially in the first half, that let West Brom players through on goal. If you look back at the game, you'll see that a lot of West Brom's chances came from some erratic defending from Nelsen. I thought Hanley was a bit lucky with some of his blocks as well, but was generally quite clumsy. We seemed to tighten up in defence as we wore on through the second half though, I can accept that.

Maybe shouldn't be dropped for Givet, as both have been erratic lately, but my thinking was we should give Givet a go now. For the record, I actually rate Nelsen quite highly and have defended him in the past, but from what I personally saw, he was a bit off the pace.

I had no idea he was named MoM actually and am a bit surprised to hear that. To be honest, I don't think anyone particularly stood out that game. Kalinic obviously, but I guess the red card detracted from it.

4-5-1 for this game an away trip to one of the hardest places to go, il settle for a point.

Robbo

Emerton Nelsen Samba Givet

EHD Dunn MGP Morris Olsson

M Diouf

I would prefer Linganzi to Morris. At least his preferable position is central midfield. But, midfield could let us down again.

Archived