BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sky Atlantic HD

Only a few more days until Sky Atlantic HD hits our screens showing the finest HBO has to offer. Am I the only one creaming my pants and making ample space available on my Sky plus box? Not looking forward to telling the Mrs that 10 hours of Eastenders and Loose women has conveniently disappeared.

Ive always believed that the BBC overall has provided us with some of the greatest TV ever seen, but when it comes to great drama and serial surely HBO is arguably top dog atm. I for one cant wait to see Boardwalk Empire and as a big 'The Wire' fan am looking forward to watching Treme if only to see the Bunk again. Add to that top shows like Sopranos and Generation Kill I"m looking forward to spending my nights watching something other than BabeStation. Anyone else excited?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the series based on the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' novels? Read somewhere that they have spent a lot of money (similar size of budget to Rome) on that.

Yeah that's the one. I'd have been deeply cynical about an adaptation if it had been anyone but HBO, they did an amazing job on Rome. I think GoT has actually been confirmed to have been made for a lot less, but that's probably a good thing since it was the budget that got Rome the axe.

Talking about a song of Ice and Fire, when is the next bloody installment going to be released? Ive heard rumours that hes got serious writers block!

Last September. <_<

I told myself not to start reading it until it was all finished, but I couldn't resist...

Surely Sky Atlantic is only showing the programs that Sky already had plus the ones it acquired from the takeover of the Virgin Media channels (Virgin one, Bravo etc).

Plus its taken long enough for Sky to finally give a home to TNA after ditching Bravo and having no plan (probably at the request of WWE - maybe). At least its not on Sky Sports or some other "premium" channel

Some of America's dramas sh*t on anything the BBC has ever produced (comedy aside).

I would highly recommend Boardwalk Empire. Peerless television.

This is Kamy.

This is superb. I am looking forward to finally watching the Sopranos! Also Broadwalk Empire sounds good.

I am not up on my American Drama Series is there anything else that I should be looking out for.

Mad Men and Battlestar Galactica are essential.

Surely Sky Atlantic is only showing the programs that Sky already had plus the ones it acquired from the takeover of the channels (Virgin one, Bravo etc).

I think Sky have bought the entire HBO back catalogue +rights for the next 5 years, so there is going to be quite a lot of stuff that they don't have already.

I was thinking abot what they're going to show in the daytime. There's not much of the HBO stuff that I've seen is daytime tv viewing, unless they put the pin number thing on it. Might make me upgrade to HD if only to get more space on the sky+ !

I think Sky have bought the entire HBO back catalogue +rights for the next 5 years, so there is going to be quite a lot of stuff that they don't have already.

I was thinking abot what they're going to show in the daytime. There's not much of the HBO stuff that I've seen is daytime tv viewing, unless they put the pin number thing on it. Might make me upgrade to HD if only to get more space on the sky+ !

Upgrading the Hard Drive on a sky+ box isn't that tricky if you're cheap like me :)

+1 for Curb.

And Kamy, The Sopranos is truly great. People go on about The Wire but I never really got into it, though I may take another look at some point.

Speaking of American dramas I'd also recommend The Shield if you haven't seen it.

If you haven't watched the Shield, just watch the first episode (and no one say anything more). If it doesn't blow you away, don't bother with the rest of the series.

Looking forward to seeing Blue Bloods - I like Mark Wahlberg and Tom Selleck is supposed to be good in this.

The Wire is the best show ever made (the best show currently on TV is Breaking Bad, but this is threatening to veer into the TV thread, so I won't go on!).

If you haven't watched the Shield, just watch the first episode (and no one say anything more). If it doesn't blow you away, don't bother with the rest of the series.

Looking forward to seeing Blue Bloods - I like Mark Wahlberg and Tom Selleck is supposed to be good in this.

The Wire is the best show ever made (the best show currently on TV is Breaking Bad, but this is threatening to veer into the TV thread, so I won't go on!).

Ah The Wire Truly the greatest piece of TV ever. Bushy Top lol

It genuinely devastates me that I might be the only person in the world to have watched The Wire and not really got into it. So many people whose opinions I trust think it's the greatest thing ever for me to realise that I'm missing out on something, but I just don't get it.

As somebody who has to rely on Skyplayer for live TV I'm very glad that Sky Atlantic is available online for subscribers too.

Archived