BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Kean

731 members have voted

1. 1. Should Steve Kean stay or go

Sam does have a self inflated ego, and talks himself up, however that's not a bad thing to have IMO. His track record, in relation to results, is very good and the Newcastle experience is seen as a negative even though it can be argued he never had enough time.

Hughes also talks himself up, however in a more subtle way. Sparky and Big Sam do have something in common - they are convinced they can come into a football club and improve that particular club. They believe in their backroom/support staff which they assemble, and are happy to delegate responsibilities/tasks because they have skilled/talented people working with them towards the common goal.

Clough, RFW, Mourhino... All top managers need a large ego. Self doubt is a non starter.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course, when Mourinho says he's going to manage Real or Inter Milan... he does it.

Does he? Where did he say those things before he got the jobs?

btw Has he said where he's going next apart from some vague reference to the Prem?

Does he? Where did he say those things before he got the jobs?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8699064.stm

"I'm so sad as almost for sure it's my last game with Inter," stated Mourinho after the Nerazzurri beat Bayern Munich in Madrid. "If you don't coach Real Madrid then you always have a gap in your career."

He continued: "It was difficult to leave Chelsea and it will be sad to leave Inter. Inter is my house in the same way Chelsea was my house. But that's life, that's football.

"Now I have two houses, Stamford Bridge, San Siro and now a third house - probably the Santiago Bernabeu.

"Only Real are interested in me but I haven't spoken with anyone and I haven't signed anything. I promised I'd speak after the final."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8699064.stm

"I'm so sad as almost for sure it's my last game with Inter," stated Mourinho after the Nerazzurri beat Bayern Munich in Madrid. "If you don't coach Real Madrid then you always have a gap in your career."

He continued: "It was difficult to leave Chelsea and it will be sad to leave Inter. Inter is my house in the same way Chelsea was my house. But that's life, that's football.

"Now I have two houses, Stamford Bridge, San Siro and now a third house - probably the Santiago Bernabeu.

"Only Real are interested in me but I haven't spoken with anyone and I haven't signed anything. I promised I'd speak after the final."

Political niceties... he'd already got the Real job then.

Lawl.

Fact remains Mourinho walks and walk and talks the talk.

Sam's ego verges on farce.

Seriously OK so you don't like Sam but how is Kean getting on.

I think people need to STFU about BFS and his ego, if he was still Rovers manager would not been in this crazy situation that we are in now. With a really chance we will go down. BFS did walk the walk he kept us up every season no problem, with bugger all to spend. Look were we are now, loose against Blackpool and we are in so much trouble its not funny.

We're not talking about Kean though, are we?

Or should we use him to justify all of Sam's foibles? :)

Well you could use Kaen to justify Brian Laws being a manager that much is true, but its very easy to sit and pick fault with with people. I also understand that BFS never played the nicest football in the EPL but he also did not have much to spend and our position was in the EPL was pretty safe. With the budget BFS was given difficult to argue he was not a good manager.

Big Sam did a GREAT JOB at Rovers. Kept us up when we were going down! Season after we finish 10th and got to a semi final. Then when he went we were 4 pts of seventh place Bolton. and in NO DANGER OF GOING DOWN!!! Simple As!

Some fans didn't like him from the start and ok you are not going to like every manager that take charge of your club! Or like his style of football, but as I keep saying Football is about Winning and anything else is a bonus! Yeah we would all like to play like Arsenal or Barcelona, but we can't!

I wasn't fan of Kean getting the job but was willing to give him a chance, but he has had a chance and I just don't think He is good enough for us. No Experience has a manager and his number has no experience of coaching in the PL!

I think we need a new manager in the summer whether we go down or stay up!

Well you could use Kaen to justify Brian Laws being a manager that much is true, but its very easy to sit and pick fault with with people. I also understand that BFS never played the nicest football in the EPL but he also did not have much to spend and our position was in the EPL was pretty safe. With the budget BFS was given difficult to argue he was not a good manager.

Likewise with Kean, isn't it easy to round on a guy who's entirely new to this game?

Anyway, the moment Sam was sacked I said it was a risky decision but a bold one if Venky's had a proven manager lined-up. They didn't. We've got Kean. So we deal with it.

Likewise with Kean, isn't it easy to round on a guy who's entirely new to this game?

Anyway, the moment Sam was sacked I said it was a risky decision but a bold one if Venky's had a proven manager lined-up. They didn't. We've got Kean. So we deal with it.

If Venkeys had a proven manager lined-up we would not be where we are, but as you said we have to deal with what we have. Personally the sooner he leaves the club the better if you ask me. As to who we get in to replace him that will depend on what division we are in.

Your viewpoint was that the squad was capable of playing much better football and that would bring better results, - the problem was, as you saw it, we had a manager who insisted that the players hoof it.

I keep asking how's the entertainment now Topman, but you never answer.

Your viewpoint was that the squad was capable of playing much better football and that would bring better results, - the problem was, as you saw it, we had a manager who insisted that the players hoof it.

It did against 'Pool & WBAx2, when we had a good balance and the right players on the pitch.

Kean has been dicking around too much recently, which is a key reason why we're faltering.

Big Sam did a GREAT JOB at Rovers. Kept us up when we were going down! Season after we finish 10th and got to a semi final. Then when he went we were 4 pts of seventh place Bolton. and in NO DANGER OF GOING DOWN!!! Simple As!

Some fans didn't like him from the start and ok you are not going to like every manager that take charge of your club! Or like his style of football, but as I keep saying Football is about Winning and anything else is a bonus! Yeah we would all like to play like Arsenal or Barcelona, but we can't!

actually I wouldn't - I'd rather play like Man Utd if it meant winning something. Look at Arsenal yesterday - no idea how to get a goal when they needed one.

Fair comment Topman, but that probably means that Steve Kean isn't up to the job. Doesn't know his best team, tactically naive, conceding silly goals etc

It bares no reflection as to how entertaining we were/weren't under the previous regime though, but unfortunately all of the threads on this board are all boiling down to the same arguments and broken record viewpoints. Probably why I don't visit the site so much these days.

Let's hope the players grab this by the scruff of the neck though. We have enough experienced ones in there to know how to get the basics right and get those 3 wins that they need.

It did against 'Pool & WBAx2, when we had a good balance and the right players on the pitch.

Kean has been dicking around too much recently, which is a key reason why we're faltering.

dicking around - aka trying to get the players to play a type of game that some of us said wasn't possible with the current squad. Seems like we were right, because that's why we're failing.

What i will give Kean is that he has been unlucky with the defensive changes, Nelsen being suspended, Givet injured and suspended, Samba has had niggiling injurys a couple of weeks ago, Hanley has been thrown in the deep end and Olsson has had to be dropped deeper to left back. but upfront, i agree with you topman he has mucked around, Benjani bangs in 2 against liverpool then has hardly played since, Kalinic plays two games then gets dropped for two, then plays for two.....then gets dropped for two.

on a seperate note, i advise people to check out www.castrolfootball.com, it does football predictions based on numerous statistics and percentages. and apparently we will finish 16th . we also have 57% chance of beating Blackpool, 20% of a draw and 23% chance of losing. i know its only a prediction but it is very interesting.

actually I wouldn't - I'd rather play like Man Utd if it meant winning something. Look at Arsenal yesterday - no idea how to get a goal when they needed one.

excellent post. My point was I just want to win every game and not bother about the style. Just want to go home happy and WIN!!!

dicking around - aka trying to get the players to play a type of game that some of us said wasn't possible with the current squad. Seems like we were right, because that's why we're failing.

Dicking around - picking the wrong players, wrong formation, substitutions etc.

Besides, it takes time for players to adapt to a new system. Especially after playing route one for two seasons. This is exactly why those of us fed-up of Sam preferred a change in the SUMMER.

What i will give Kean is that he has been unlucky with the defensive changes, Nelsen being suspended, Givet injured and suspended, Samba has had niggiling injurys a couple of weeks ago, Hanley has been thrown in the deep end and Olsson has had to be dropped deeper to left back. but upfront, i agree with you topman he has mucked around, Benjani bangs in 2 against liverpool then has hardly played since, Kalinic plays two games then gets dropped for two, then plays for two.....then gets dropped for two.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going!

Kean has been no more unlucky than Sam was when he first joined us. do you not remember the horrific injuries Sam had to deal with including playing Samba as our main striker in a number of games because there was no one else fit (RSC, IMO, didn't want to know!).

excellent post. My point was I just want to win every game and not bother about the style. Just want to go home happy and WIN!!!

The problem was I just wanted some sort of balance. I wanted to keep winning at home at least, but also move towards a more entertaining style of play. Note I say move towards because I think we had the players who could have remembered how to pass a ball to a teammate without it collecting snow as long as we had a mix of styles that meant that we also remembered how to defend and how to grind out results. I didn't want to be entertained but I didn't want to be bored rigid either, because football is about winning first but also about feeling good and some of our home performances were dire. Like you I think we could have been marginally more expansive but still won if we'd brought in a suitable manager. I wanted to give Kean a chance because I could see no point in getting on his back before he'd even started. However, the manager never materialised and Kean became manger instead. I still wanted to give him a chance, notwanting to undermine his fragile start by jumping on a Kean out bandwagon before we saw what happened. However, it has not taken long to show that he is not up to the job. I just want us to win. I was never on the allardyce out bandwagon even though I didn't like him. There were those of my acquaintance who suggested I'd be dancing in the streets when Allardyce was sacked - I wasn't, although I did hope we'd get a decent person to replace him. Survive this season and we HAVE to get a decent manager in to replace Steve Kean.

Archived