BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Greatest Club Side of All Time

With all the talk af Barca walking over any club side to play in the past, present or future, I thought a quick poll would be good for discussion, mods can please make it a poll...

REAL MADRID 1956-60

INTER 1964-65

CELTIC 1967

AJAX 1971-73

BAYERN MUNICH 1974-76

LIVERPOOL 1977-1984

AC MILAN 1989-1994

REAL MADRID 2000-03

MAN UTD 1999

ARSENAL 2004

BARCELONA 2006-09

I still have Barca, and that is looking at it on paper and style. They arguably have either the best or 2nd best player in the world in every position.

you forgot the Barca team led by Johann Cruyff. Think it featured the likes of Hristo Stoichkov, Ronald Koeman and Romario.

Then the Barca team with Rivaldo, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho. Its again one of those, as with players, where its difficult to judge based on different eras.

The current Barca team, certainly has to be the best team of the last decade. They are not only playing great football, but are winning trophys all the time as well.

I would have included the Barcelona team under Cryuff but there was only 2 points which seperated the three La Liga titles from Madrid and the Madrid galactico's era of 2000-3 come as close to "on paper" quality as any other side to have existed.

Ajax 1971 - 1973. Not only did they have the best player in the world (Cruijff), they also introduced a total new style of playing football. Attacking fullbacks, play-making centre halves...quality.

Bit biased maybe, but still...

I'd add Barcelona 1991-1994 (Guardiola, Koeman, Hagi, Stoichkov, Romario, Laudrup)to the poll. Also, even if it's impossible to judge in retrospect, I'm pretty sure South American teams like Boca Juniors, Santos, River Plate and Penarol could be effectively measured against their European counterparts until at least the 70's.

I only started watching football from 1992 so i say the Milan side of the early 90s were the best side i seen. They have the 3 Dutch masters, Maldini, Baresi, Lentini, Donadoni etc. They even have players like Papin, Laudrup, Saveijic(sp), Desailly on the bench or not in the squard due to the 3 foreigners rule. They were also unbeaten for a ridiculously long period and were head and shoulders over every other team including Ronald Koeman's Barca (the 4-0 European final win). Even the current Barca is not so dominant.

Don't know if it's actually the best, but I too loved that Milan side of the late 80s/early 90s.

The back four was just ridiculous; Maldini, Baresi, Costacurta and Tassotti all played like 15+ years for the club.

For pure attacking football Barca are the best side. Messi, Xavi and Iniesta would grace ANY world's greatest team. They are breaking records everywhere and a matter of time before they win more trophies..oh and I follow Real in Spain!

With all the talk af Barca walking over any club side to play in the past, present or future, I thought a quick poll would be good for discussion, mods can please make it a poll...

REAL MADRID 1956-60

INTER 1964-65

CELTIC 1967

AJAX 1971-73

BAYERN MUNICH 1974-76

LIVERPOOL 1977-1984

AC MILAN 1989-1994

REAL MADRID 2000-03

MAN UTD 1999

ARSENAL 2004

BARCELONA 2006-09

I still have Barca, and that is looking at it on paper and style. They arguably have either the best or 2nd best player in the world in every position...not defensively. Alves and Pique might make the discussion at their respective positions, but nothing after that.

If they win the champions league this year then that would certainly support their case, but until they do I don't really think they should be included in the duiscussion.

Simpson

Craig

Gemmell

Murdoch

McNeill

Clark

Johnstone

Wallace

Chalmers

Auld

Lennox

There's your answer. The team that defeated Inter Milan in the 1967 European Cup Final. Eleven lads (plus the sub) all from Greater Glasgow. There have been some great teams from Barcelona, Madrid, Milan, Munich, Manchester and Amsterdam over the years but I bet none of them could muster twelve from the same city to match the Celtic boys.

Then the Barca team with Rivaldo, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho. Its again one of those, as with players, where its difficult to judge based on different eras.

Ronaldo Rivaldo and Ronaldinho all played at different times for Barca.

The current Barca side is full world class players that are mostly graduates of their accademy. On their current form i would say they are as close as you can get to the greatest club side of all time.

Real Madrid of 2002-4 had something different about them, almost like cheating in a video game, signing the Worlds best players Figo, Zidane, Ronaldo, Beckham. Plus having players like Raul Hierro and Cassilas and a certain Salgado on their best form.

REAL MADRID 1956-60

INTER 1964-65

CELTIC 1967

AJAX 1971-73

BAYERN MUNICH 1974-76

LIVERPOOL 1977-1984

AC MILAN 1989-1994

REAL MADRID 2000-03

MAN UTD 1999

ARSENAL 2004

BARCELONA 2006-09

I still have Barca, and that is looking at it on paper and style. They arguably have either the best or 2nd best player in the world in every position.

The barca goalie is definately not the 2nd best in the world

As an avid watcher of Spanish football, I think Barcelona are currently the greatest in the world. However, it is almost impossible to judge who is better throughout history. New training techniques have made players fitter today than they ever were, so you would expect the current United team would beat the one of 98/99 and you would expect the current Barcelona side to beat all comers.

Archived