BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Football Writers Player Of The Year

Could this be something to do with the fact that 90% of football writers are WHU fans?

This also explains why 90% of the stuff they write is badly written rubbish.

These are also the idoits who thought Jurgen Klinsmann was player of the year in 94-95. Says it all really.

I really hope the overhyped dingle-lookalikes go down with us.

Fully deserved. Who else was a contender? For years people scream that it always goes to players from the big clubs and now a player in a team fighting for relegation wins it and look at the reaction. He has single handedly kept West Ham afloat this season. His contribution to his team oustrips any other player in the league.

A player who has been head and shoulders above his team mates and has proved he has Premiership class. If it wasn't for him his team would be relegated already. But enough of Charlie Adam who scores and creates goals.

Instead we have given it to a player who can run a lot and is commited. He has benefited and looked good because his team mates are so bad they make him look good. Had he played for a better side he would have been run of the mil (as when he was at Chelsea and Newcastle). Had he played for Wolves, West Brom or Blackpool he would have been ignored.

Where would mid-table Wwst Brom have been without Odemwingie this season. Could you ever imagine it being given to him ???

I'd have given it Van Der Vaart.

Yaya Toure for me. Complete player who can defend, pass, run and attack as well as score goals.

£24,000,000 well spent for once.

Parker may be decent but he is a medium sized fish in a small and insignificant pond.

Yaya Toure for me. Complete player who can defend, pass, run and attack as well as score goals.

Parker may be decent but he is a medium sized fish in a small and insignificant pond.

Toure has done well but Parker has done better. Its not neccesarily about who is the better player but who has had a better season. Ive seen Parker more than most people and his contribution is far greater then any other player in the league, even more so than Charlie Adam. Van der Vaart has been injured too often and didnt play particularly well between November and April. Parker has been there all season for West Ham and his performaces have deserved this award.

If a Utd player wins it, its media bias. If a Chelsea player wins, its media bias. If a non Rover player wins, its media bias. Give it a rest. A player from a struggling team has won the award for once. Its not come from a 'big' team but a modest one. I think its a good thing personally and its boring to hear people continue to whine about bias. Out of interest, is there a team which doesn't have a media bias other than Rovers???

West Ham are certianly a club with a media and institutional bias- always have done.

Well as I said Bolton in my post- I'll add any club with average crowds of less than 30000- that aren't allowed the good grace to be 'plucky' for a season or two, of course.

Agree 100%

Toure has done brilliantly and has looked better than the rest in a team full of flamboyant players such as Tevez, Silva, AJ etc

How hard is it for Parker (who is indeed a great player) to stand out in such a mediocre WHU team ?

So the argument against Parker is that as he's in a poor team its therefore easy for him to stand out. Does that mean that the award shouldn't ever be given out to a player from outside the top 5/6 teams?

No but I do not see exactly what Parker does that is 'outstanding'. When I watch him play I don't get it. Even when MOTD have their 3 minute love-ins about him they just showing highlights proving he just does the basic things well.

imo He's earned it with his graft, tenacity and dogged committment to the cause. People need to consider that it's much easier to play well in a good team and damned difficult to appear strong in a poor one. His contribution has been twice that of people like Toure.

imo He's earned it with his graft, tenacity and dogged committment to the cause. People need to consider that it's much easier to play well in a good team and damned difficult to appear strong in a poor one. His contribution has been twice that of people like Toure.

Charlie Adam. Scored and created more goals than Parker and had a similar effect on Blackpool's season with arguably a worse bunch of players around him.

Now I'm not saying Adam should win it but can you imagine him ever being in with a sniff. Nope.

Nothing against Parker who would walk into our side. However, if he played for Blackpool, Wolves or Wigan he wouldn't have received anywhere near the attention he has and he wouldn't have won this award.. I can't believe anyone would argue otherwise to that.

It is true that there is a significant West Ham presence in sports journalism.

It is also true that no West Ham player has won this award since Bobby Moore.

In other years it's always a Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard. No-one 'big' has stood out this year apart from Tevez perhaps so

the voting was split...

He deserves it imo. We have been toilet but he has been head and shoulders above anyone else and has performed well against

all the supposedly 'top' players. A much better option than Barry for England.

He looks dead on his feet now though and needs a rest- hopefully the current injury will give him the chance to regroup for the

final few games...it'll be too late though.

This is ridiculous. Parker is nothing more than an average midfielder which has been proved throughout his career. Decent yes, certainly better than anyone we have in the middle, but player of the year? WHU are and always have been, along with Spurs, the darlings of the media and this is purely driven by this. Players do tend to vote for who the media tell them to though which is why the football writers award is more prestigeous.

This is ridiculous. Parker is nothing more than an average midfielder which has been proved throughout his career. Decent yes, certainly better than anyone we have in the middle, but player of the year? WHU are and always have been, along with Spurs, the darlings of the media and this is purely driven by this. Players do tend to vote for who the media tell them to though which is why the football writers award is more prestigeous.

Parker isn't the best player in the league. He's not the best midfielder in the country. But he's had the best season. Media driven? well apparently the media are biased towards Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham, Newcastle, Everton, Man City, Villa and, well virtually every other side in the division. Parker is decent and has had a very good season. That is the reason for why he should win the award.

Im still not hearing of many other candidates by the way. Charlie Adam? He's scored more goals clearly but Parker does more around the field and has contributed more to West Ham then Adam has to Blackpool. I know which one i'd rather have at Rovers in any case.

Archived