BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Which striker(s) do we go with on Saturday?

I agree strongly that it's about organising the midfield first and foremost, no striker in the world is going to net feeding on the scraps that we provide. We have pace available and we have guile available yet we never seem to set ourselves up to use it properly. For me I'd go this way :

Robbo obviously.

Salgado-Samba-Hanley-Givet, because we need to free Jones up to give us both the stopping power and creativity further up the field. In the absence of Nelson Hanley is up to the job alongside Samba and I think this is a solid enough unit. That said ManC overloaded Givet in the left back position early on and we also know that as good as Salgado is at right back he is slowing down so both positions need covering, for this reason I'd sit two defensive mids in front of the back four with a mandate to move across to cover if midfield aren't tracking the runners back, so ...

Jones - Jones as the defensive mids/link men.

Next up I'd lose the wing positions and pull the pace inside. The left and right positions have to go to Olsson and Hoilett who IMO have everything in their locker including attitude. When we don't have the ball pull them in to bolster midfield when we do then give them the freedom to move out wide or attack the channels, whatever makes sense at the time. Whoever the striker is he'll need feeding so what doesn't come from Olsson/Hoilett should come from a centrally positioned Rochina on my team sheet. He's technical, controls space well and can hold the ball up well enough to release telling balls through to the guy up front - or take the ball through for himself. Whether that means he plays just behind and off the striker or if he sits flatter with Olsonn/Hoilet I'm relaxed about. So ...

Hoilett-Rochina-Olsson

Up front we need someone who can work off the ball to pull the centres around and create gaps. Would be nice to have an out and out in form goal scorer but we don't have one so I'd settle for movement and hold up play to create the time and space to bring the midfield 3 into the attack. Only Cruz does that for me. So ...

Cruz as lone striker.

My choice then would be to set up as ...

---------Robinson-------

Salgado-Samba-Hanley-Givet

--------Jones-Jones------

---Hoilett-Rochina-Olsson--

----------Cruz----------

Nzonzi, Kalinic, Roberts and Peds on the bench for style options or to refresh positions as required.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone notice Formica was on the bench for the City game... I reckon we could see him against the bog trotters!!! IMO, that was for show - Kean will be conscious of the fact that many think he's signed a dud, by putting him on the bench, he hopes the perception will be that he's in contention. IMO, not a hope in hell that he'll get on the pitch during a match!

I love how a good battling performance from Benjani - and certainly offers almost no goal threat at all.

Ask Liverpool.....Of course he does, he just doesnt get a run of games.

Where as the AWFUL Jason Roberts always gets picked no matter what!! :angry2:

Posted this on the Kalinic thread in responce to Jimmy612:

If I had to pick the side straight after Mondays game I’d have gone with the same front two, I thought they played well on Monday, and you’re only as good as your last game, so I’d go with those two.

But as the weeks gone on, I’m more leaning towards RSC because he can score goals, we know that, and that’s what we need. Not sure who I’d drop though.

I'm clutching at straws here, mainly because our strikers are cr@p, but a couple of times on Monday Roberts looked really sharp, beating 3 men on halfway near the Riverside to setup an attack, and his ball across the box in the first half was cracking, just 2 things that sticking in my mind from Monday.

So RSC & Roberts..... NO.... Benjani & Roberts - Glad I'm not picking the strikers :(

Archived