BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Which striker(s) do we go with on Saturday?

I must admit I think even Jose Mourinho would struggle to get a couple of goals out of our misfiring strikeforce at the moment. However this is the 64 million dollar question for me which will determine our ultimate fate.

How do we get a couple of goals out of any of the strikers?

With us having to get at least one goal and three points on Saturday I find it inconceivable that some people are calling for a return to 4-5-1 on Saturday. Admittedly if we get the 3 points there then our tactics might have to be more fluid for the final three games depending on how results fall elsewhere. But for me we have to start with two up front.

I'd be really interested to hear everyone's views regardless of whether they favour one or two up top. Last night we saw Roberts and Benjani put a shift in and they kept the Citeh defenders on their toes physically but we saw ultimately I think that both ultimately lack real quality and neither are likely to get the goal or goals we need.

Got to admit I'm stumped. RSC has been very disappointing since his return but when the ball actually comes directly to him he still oozes the sort of class our other strikers don't seem to have. If Hoillet is fit, I think I'd be tempted to tell Mame Diouf a white lie pre match "Sir Alex has changed his mind son, you're coming to us permanently next season" and send him out with Roque in the hope his pace can make an impact.

If Hoillet isn't fit I'd put Mame on the right flank as in the very early part of the season and as bad as he was last night try Kalinic up front with RSC more in hope than expectation really as it's one of the few permutations that hasn't already been tried unless I'm mistaken. (Or did they start in our last win against WBA?)

What does everyone think?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Kean will bring Roque back into the side against Bolton. Even though he looks well off the pace it would be difficult for Kean to leave out a player that is costing us £90k per week.

If I was in charge of team selection I'm not sure who I would pick. When you look at our options it just shows how poor this squad really is:

Kalinic- I think he could become a decent player with support and given a prolonged run in the team, but I suspect his confidence could be shot after being dropped from the side and hardly featuring in the past 6-7 games despite scoring goals both or club and country. I do think he is more likely to score than the other options available though.

Benjani- Puts in a shift and scored against a Liverpool side (one on very low confidence at the time). Still don't think he has the goals in him though to pull us to safety.

Diouf- Don't rate at all.

Roberts- I will be rejoicing the day when he and a few others leave the club.

Considering all the options if Kean is going to play two up front against Bolton I would pick Benjani and Kalinic, which is far from ideal but when you have a ###### poor squad you have to pick the best from a bad bunch. However I think we will go back to the lone striker and Kean will pick Roque.

None of our strikers are good enough Rev and other clubs damn well know that and will exploit to the full.

Personally I would play two upfront in the very vain hope that a miracle occurs on a par with Jesus rising from his tomb and we start scoring things called G-O-A-L-S.

Benjani/Cruz

Who am I kidding! :blink:

everything is a risk.

Ideally I 'd like Kalinic, RSC.

But Kalinic confidence is so low he has to shoot in an empty net, I don't think Jason Lee ever had it so bad.

RSC is the only striker we "know" has class and is not way over 30.

To be honest, I'm not sure.

Just not Roberts.

Sadly I'd have to go for RSC and hope he turns in a performance, maybe a break will allow him to get ride of some injury worries.

It's gotta be RSC for me. The other big name January signings (Dzeko, Torres) have got their first goals over the weekend and I'm sure he won't want to be the only one to not get on the scoresheet.

I'd probably go for Nico with him as that partnership worked well against West Brom when they both looked lively.

I shall be trying to find a bar in the Algarve to watch the game.

Tough one. IF it's 2 up front, then I'd go for Benjani and Kalanic.

Niko has the best record of taking advantage of opponents' mistakes, and also does have statistics on his side. Given we create little this may be our main source of a goal. Add in the fact we've been pretty shocking when he hasn't been near the team (although by that logic andrews should also be in there :blink: ) I'd say there is a decent case to be made for Niko getting a starting berth.

Partnering him I'd go for Benjani. He's the best - again a relative term - at holding the ball up and has a couple of goals to his name. Certainly we'll need the ball to be held up to give our defence some respite, and his performances haven't been as shoddy as some. Can't recall Rocky holding it up too well during this stint for us.

Having said all of that maybe Kean needs to get creative.

- Why not have Samba up front? It's worked before. Jones and Givet cb, Olsson lb, Peds & Holliet on the wings. Certainly Samba's likely to cause more problems then any of our other strikers.

- Dunn in the hole. Maybe one last hurrah from the guy in his favoured position. Or likewise with Rochina. May leave us too light in the middle though.

- Why not 4-3-3/4-5-1 with Diouf and Hoillet as wingers? Becomes a 5 man midfield when defending, and 3 up top when attacking. May again be too lightweight though.

Not a decision I'd like to have to make, but the grim reality is that we NEED goals from somewhere, and I'm struggling to see where they will come from. Strikers seem a logical place to start but ours don't score. Sad fact is can't see too many coming from elsewhere in the team either.

Benjani played well yesterday not sure why he was subbed and Roberts kept on..

I'd play Benjani (never in a million years did I think I'd say that) and Kalinic...

That is exactly what I thought too Darwen Rover, thought I was the only one.

I agree with the choice for Bolton too.

Been saying it for a while (sorry for the repetition) however would look to play Diouf off Santa Cruz (if only Santa Cruz is fit, I dont have the answer to this, only Kean/medical staff knows if he is). If not Cruz then Benjani as the front man.

Our attack needs penetration and I think Diouf provides this as he has pace and can make things happen (although he is erratic).

Also I would consider using Samba up front during home matches (for part of the game) if we are struggling we need to use more street wise tactics at the moment.

Robinson

Salgado-Samba-Jones-Givet

J.Jones-Nzonzi

Hoilett-Dunn-Olsson

Cruz/Benjani

Rochina would be fine to play CAM in the Dunn role in this formation with the cover behind him too.

Rochina should be banned from entering the Blackburn half, I'd feel safer.

• Backroom

Santa cruz and benjani for me.

Maybe give Niko one more chance but Martin dahlin at his age now would have been more effective last night than his cameo

My thoughts exactly. Strange how some people see 4-5-1 which converts into 4-3-3 when attacking as negative, hence the stupid 4-4-2 chants under SA last year. One upfront for me.

Correct. It's ok having two up front as long as your midfield is controlling the play.

4-5-1

........Robinson...........

Sal...Jones..Samba..Givet

......JJ.....Nzonzi....

Hoillet...Dunn/Rochina.....Olsson

.........Benjani........

Down the wings, they have poor full-backs.

We NEED Hoilett & Olsson on the wings for this one.....with JJ & either Dunn or NZonzi in the middle.

Same defence as last night & then the all important - who should play upfront? Personally id go Mame Diouf & Benjani

Why Diouf?

Santa and Benjani. Or Kalinic and Benjani.

Of our strikers

I feel that Mame links up best with Hoilett & Olsson, he seems more on their wave length - he also has abit more pace that our other strikers and he has already scored against them this season. He is also our joint top scorer with Kalinic.

He is our 3rd most prolific striker too....just behind Benjani & behind the most prolific Kalinic.

Either way I wouldnt play Roberts or RSC....For me it has to be 2 of Kalinic/ Banjnai/ Mame

Kalinic – 189 mins per goal

Benjani – 257 mins per goal

Mame – 284 mins per goal

Roberts – 412 mins per goal (4 1/2 full games per goal :angry: )

RSC – 640 mins & still counting – no goals all season

Here's what I was thinking....

I reckon Coyle will go with a fluid 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 as he will have noted our midfield weakness and they wont want to be chasing the ball too much given it's their third match in six days.

In that event, IMO, he has to first make sure we are not outgunned in midfield and we need Phil Jones back in there. This is a match we have to win and therefore we need to gamble.

I'd play Robbo / Salgado, Samba, Hanley, Givet / Phil Jones, Nzonzi / Hoilett, J. Jones, Olsson / Benjani, Kalinic.

Pace down the flanks, get the ball in the box as often as possible and use the power of the big boys in the box as often as possible.

Unfortunately, I think he'll start with Croque and his Cheer leader up front.

Here's what I was thinking....

I agree with all of what you said there except Diouf. I firmly believe that he is now completely uninterested.

Benji up front with Kalinic just behind would be good. Benji has the ability to hold up play and skill enough to feed a ball through a hole to a Kalinic run.

He would benefit so much from a strong player up front with him.

I agree with all of what you said there except Diouf. I firmly believe that he is now completely uninterested.

Why you say that??

I can see why people argue for RSC....but again he has done very little since returning, although we know he's capable of goals.

Roberts however should be our 5th choice striker.

I like Mercerman's line-up. Like several others, I was baffled by the substitution of Benjani last night.

We need someone [one of the Jones boys?] on Sturridge for every second of Saturday's game. I guess Sturridge mustn't be signed up with our favourite agency; he'd have been much more use as a 2nd half of the season loan signing than RSC.

Archived