BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Considering moving to Blackburn

Good luck with your move back north. Ignore the usual suspects who have used your thread to criticise Blackburn (again). There might be fewer pubs than in the past (pubs are closing all over Britain for social and economic reasons) but at least you'll be able to watch Rovers regularly again (hopefully still in the PL) and you won't be surrounded by Tory voters any more. Go for it !

He will if he moves to the Ribble Valley!

Come on jim, you KNOW why SO many pubs in Blackburn have shut in the last 10 years. Many more than say, have in Darwen, or Clitheroe, or anywhere else round here.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't expect a reply Matt...head in sand , just like why its worse to be a bad footy manager than a drink driver.Only place in Blackburn I'd move to is cherry trée or fenny or back to gods country abbey or brinski.

That shut years ago. Nearest drink now would be either The Orchard WMC on one side, or The Stanley Arms on the other.

Not surely that is the answer to all the closures. Sportsmans and Dog Inn, for example, used to have plenty of regulars. There must still be quite a few drinkers around there.

It's mainly the answer FLB, those pubs are fast becoming marooned also consider that cheap plonk in the supermarkets and comparatively expensive drink in pubs is more tempting than sporadic conversation with one man and his dog in some snug.

Good luck with your move back north. Ignore the usual suspects who have used your thread to criticise Blackburn (again). There might be fewer pubs than in the past (pubs are closing all over Britain for social and economic reasons) but at least you'll be able to watch Rovers regularly again (hopefully still in the PL) and you won't be surrounded by Tory voters any more. Go for it !

:lol:

You heard Pafell

"I actually got a shock on what people are prepared to pay for my own home and what I can get for the money in the north. The market is bad at the moment, but flats down her have either retained their value or increased in value."

There is a reason for everything you know. ^_^

It's mainly the answer FLB, those pubs are fast becoming marooned also consider that cheap plonk in the supermarkets and comparatively expensive drink in pubs is more tempting than sporadic conversation with one man and his dog in some snug.

:lol:

You heard Pafell

"I actually got a shock on what people are prepared to pay for my own home and what I can get for the money in the north. The market is bad at the moment, but flats down her have either retained their value or increased in value."

There is a reason for everything you know. ^_^

Cor if life depended on pubs, I'll be better off staying where I am. I have got 7 within a five minute walk.

Plus the huge garden they call the beach. Great big pond, called the sea, fresh bass, cod, mackeral etc - hmmm may give this more thought :D

This is not particulary germane to the subject thread, but as Jim commented, pubs all over the country are closing down and it's not due to any demographic shift of population.It's just that people don't go to the pub any more like they used to.

It's not a particular Blackburn thing.

As I said earlier I would very strongly recommend that you look West of Blackburn towards Chorley and Leyland.

Transport links are very good (road and rail), the housing stock is better and it is better quality of life, try: Brindle, Hoghton, Higher Wheelton, Brinscall......also plenty of MBers in these areas. Even try Leyland which has great transport links, nearby Preston has a massive Chinese (wife ?) community thanks to UCLan students and lecturers.

This is not particulary germane to the subject thread, but as Jim commented, pubs all over the country are closing down and it's not due to any demographic shift of population.It's just that people don't go to the pub any more like they used to.

It's not a particular Blackburn thing.

You must not spend much time in the 'burn. Of course, pubs are closing everywhere. However, in Blackburn they are closing at a rapid rate- in particular in areas that have a high or increasing population of non alcohol drinkers. Pretty obvious that would be the case.

You must not spend much time in the 'burn. Of course, pubs are closing everywhere. However, in Blackburn they are closing at a rapid rate- in particular in areas that have a high or increasing population of non alcohol drinkers. Pretty obvious that would be the case.

Matty, You're right in that I don't spend much time in Blackburn, nevertheless the closure of pubs is happening regardless of the alchohol consumption of the population. Pubs in Stockport, Manchester & Salford are closing down at a rate of knots regardless.

We don't go to the pub any more like we used to.

Cheers

As I said earlier I would very strongly recommend that you look West of Blackburn towards Chorley and Leyland.

Transport links are very good (road and rail), the housing stock is better and it is better quality of life, try: Brindle, Hoghton, Higher Wheelton, Brinscall......also plenty of MBers in these areas. Even try Leyland which has great transport links, nearby Preston has a massive Chinese (wife ?) community thanks to UCLan students and lecturers.

Says who flatlander?

If its Blackburn, then it has to here on Oakdale, what better location can there be. On the door step of the motorway network, ten minute walk to Ewood Park, surrounded by greenery, and i'd say theres at least eight different independent housing areas here on Oakdale to choose from.

For peace and quiet and being out of the way, i'd recommend coming upto the main roundabout onto Oakdale, from the main road, then turn left up the hill from the roundabout, then left again, quality housing at a very reasonable price here, with little or no traffic. try and pick a rear garden that faces towards Darwen tower, so that its south facing, thus guaranteeing maximum sunlight for your garden.

Im on Buckshaw Village between Leyland and Chorley. Right on M61, M6 and M65 - so in 30 mins you can be anywhere from Lancaster to Liverpool, to Manchester or Colne. 10 minutes to Ewood. We're getting our own station in the autumn too.

The whole village is less than 5 years old and theres loads of houses for sale at anytime, I'd bet with similar schemes to Taylor Wimpey.

Its very quiet on here, no problems with kids, vandalism etc.. lots of familys.

Loads of walks on the village.

Only really lacks a decent pub and decent internet (0.5mbs average BB until we get fibre).

If you are heading up for a look around the area, it definitely worth a look.

There is fibre on buckshaw! I put it in!

Whereabouts and when Abbey? BT wont tell anyone here when its due to go live.

Baz everything you say about Buckshaw is true, but it just looks like living in The Truman Show.

Too perfect Oz? :-)

Is that why the same people walk past my place every 23.5 minutes? :unsure:

If its Blackburn, then it has to here on Oakdale, what better location can there be. On the door step of the motorway network, ten minute walk to Ewood Park, surrounded by greenery, and i'd say theres at least eight different independent housing areas here on Oakdale to choose from.

For peace and quiet and being out of the way, i'd recommend coming upto the main roundabout onto Oakdale, from the main road, then turn left up the hill from the roundabout, then left again, quality housing at a very reasonable price here, with little or no traffic. try and pick a rear garden that faces towards Darwen tower, so that its south facing, thus guaranteeing maximum sunlight for your garden.

Yep :)

Im on Buckshaw Village between Leyland and Chorley. Right on M61, M6 and M65 - so in 30 mins you can be anywhere from Lancaster to Liverpool, to Manchester or Colne. 10 minutes to Ewood. We're getting our own station in the autumn too.

The whole village is less than 5 years old and theres loads of houses for sale at anytime, I'd bet with similar schemes to Taylor Wimpey.

Its very quiet on here, no problems with kids, vandalism etc.. lots of familys.

Loads of walks on the village.

Only really lacks a decent pub and decent internet (0.5mbs average BB until we get fibre).

If you are heading up for a look around the area, it definitely worth a look.

Looked at Buckshaw originally and thought what a boring place this is, and its growing. Thankfully stayed well clear of the place.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Drove through Blackburn early evening yesterday and was absolutely appalled at the stupid stunts that were being played out on Blackburn's roads. Dodge City on wheels it is.

I rarely venture into Blackburn these days but I was amazed at how driving in town at these times has degenerated to a state of complete lawlessness. Goodness only knows what priorities plod follows these days.

I was following two top of the range mercs that were two abreast driving at 15mph and straddling the white line on Preston New Road whilst the occupants chatted across to each other. On two occasions these cars actually stopped in the middle of the road unconcerned about other road users behind. Ignorance and a fine example of the attitude and respect of todays Blackburn youth. My 2lb lump hammer and I would have remonstrated very strongly except I was in my wife's car and it was at home in it's normal place under the seat in mine.

Next up I waved a BMW car through in front of me and into the queue coming off the Station / Vue car park with 3 of Blackburns finest inside. Nice polite wave I received too.... before they immediately pulled out and roared past the entire 200m queue at top speed and on the wrong side of the road forcing their way back into the queue just before the traffic lights. With so many families crossing the road both on the pedestrian crossing and before it from the cinema this was not only typically ill mannered but extremely dangerous.

The rest of my journey was dotted with examples of typically poor and inconsiderate driving practice. Stopping as lights change to red, use of indicators, mirrors and simple courtesy appear to be forgotten skills.

Time for action from the authorities and some good old fashioned policing and screw the current total reliance on the plethora of speed camera's on our town's roads. The tactic is simply not working.

Drove through Blackburn early ......................

Time for action from the authorities and some good old fashioned policing and screw the current total reliance on the plethora of speed camera's on our town's roads. The tactic is simply not working.

Re-arranged number plates, blacked out windows, overcrowding, seatbelts, kids rattling in the back, driving with fog lights on in the daytime, using molbiles. Police in Blackburn do very little to prevent this behaviour in around the town centre. Given I drive through it a number of times a day, most days you will see some if not all these things going on unchecked.

Police in Blackburn are next to useless and command no respect.

Archived