BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Considering moving to Blackburn

Gordon, I go for the cooking bitter (Original) at £3 or Mild at £2-90. It is a good pint although I have been known to stray to the Feildens Arms in Fenni (near you?) or the Boars Head which is closer to my cottage. The BH has a decent pint and is cheaper but is does have chav things like a one arm bandit and a tv.

I go to The Royal Oak for a better class of conversation amongst like minded middle class folk....you know what I mean ;)

So there are still pubs selling Thwaites Mild?

Where?

I love the stuff but can never find it when I venture north these days.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe those properties are targeted at large and fast growing families, close to cultural centres.

:rolleyes:

Accrington's very nice if you like "large and fast growing families" or travellers who no longer travel or Chav's or Pumped-up Sted heads or.......

Flippin heck Gav, we have similar views on food and beer, pity it does not extend to Mr Bean (sorry Kean)!!

You are right about the BH, the landlord is a wee bit what do you say "quiet", but the ale is ok, and I can walk home.

Wouldn't do for us all to agree now would it PB :D

Please let me know next time you're in the Royal oak, I want to avoid that middle class conversation if at all possible :lol:

This Sunday afternoon for champagne cocktails - true believe it or not, a local actress is getting engaged.

And Whittle you should try the Pimms next time!

This is typical of a thread on this site. People change the subject of the thread. Person comes on here asking for help about an area of the town. Which ends up being a talk about beer. I can get beer and wine anywhere, any kind, anytime - especially wine, as I get for free.

But thanks anyway, for those who did respond to my request.

Pafell my wifes from Hampshire, for retirement she wants to move back down south, close to the coast, so what does your wife REALLY WANT.

As Thenodrog points out employment opportunities around here have severely diminished, the local statistic is 7 people are currently chasing every 1 job, so you will have to come and open up an enterprise of your own.

All the best for the future and please discuss with the board your intentions.

This is typical of a thread on this site. People change the subject of the thread.

Without wanting to divert it further the reality is, IME, this site is quite unusual in rigidly keeping threads on topic. Other MBs I visit allow threads to wander more and the atmosphere on them is very different.

Back to housing, if you have more questions I'm happy to help where I can.

Pafell, you and Mrs Pafell need to come up here for a long weekend and have a good look round for yourself. I live and work in Blackburn and wish I did neither. Would I move to Laburnum Rd? No. The area has some lovely areas with decent people where you can live a good life, but they are becoming fewer. If I could afford to I'd move back to the Ribble Valley where I grew up. Mrs Sidders would move to Cornwall if she could. Not sure if she includes me in her plans though.

Dear God, Sidders...has it really got that bad? I'm a born and bred Blackburnian but all my remaining friends in the area report back negatively. The worrying thing is...I only left for the last time in 2007! Less than four years ago, and yet there seems to be a real gloom about the place to such an extent that it didn't exist even then...just 48 months ago!

The closure of so many pubs and taverns couldn't have helped either, they were the local get-together places for so many centuries. Is there anything better than having a pint in an old pub like The Royal Oak at Pleckgate and being able to read stories on its walls about how it was in place in the 18th century...This is the town that was referred to as "the beeriest town in England" a century ago due to the prevalence of its watering holes. Yet all I hear is of classic pubs like The Sportsmans, Corporation and The Cemetary closing. Whatever happened to the Christmas Eve Revidge Run?!?

I was lucky, though. Did well on exams (despite being a lazy so-and-so) and went to uni and so on...and so I travelled and managed to get employed in other places. I never dreamed it might grow to be a permanent exile until I went back...and realised how much I had changed and yet my home town seemed stuck in a time-warp. Is this a time to be going back to Blackburn...yet expecting work? The much-reduced job pages of the LET suggest not.

It's a damn shame what has happened to Blackburn. Unlike when I grew up, there is no nightlife in the town centre worth speaking of, and I wish I knew what the solution to revive the fortunes of the inner town itself might be, but, alas, nobody knows. It's been a slow but continual decline since our raison d'etre was taken away from us with the collapse of the cotton manufacturing industry.

Without wanting to divert it further the reality is, IME, this site is quite unusual in rigidly keeping threads on topic. Other MBs I visit allow threads to wander more and the atmosphere on them is very different.

Back to housing, if you have more questions I'm happy to help where I can.

One of the reasons is the scheme companies like Taylor Wimpey have in helping you to sell your own property, part exchange / easymove for example. With the market being as it is with regards to property it is a way of making a move from south to north a bit easier. Trying to avoid any chains etc. So considering using the Taylor Wimpey scheme to get the initial move up, then 'maybe' reconsider once moved up if we need to.

Trying to find simular schemes in the area. But without luck.

I have family in lancashire, which is another reason. Employment, I can put my hand to a lot of things - if need - to and am not fussy what I do. I always find ways to make a buck or two. There are jobs in most areas, but often people too fussy as to what they do. I am fortunate I am able to take high or low paid work - I work because I actually like working.

This what I wrote in reply to another poster. Basically I am trying to find out as much as I can about this area. I know there used to be a pub in the area called seven trees (that might make it easier for some on here).

Somebody asked about my wife. My wife is Chinese - though English born with better English than myself and I am English born and bred. She is happy about possible moving North. Shes a Rovers supporter.

Another poster mentioned jobs, about 7 people applying for the same job. I am in East Sussex and my area is far worse than that. You have about 30 to 40 people applying for the same job. (London maybe slightly better - but not much)

We are paying a visit North end of this month and popping into the taylor wimpey development as well. But I am just trying to find out what I can about the area before coming.

Pafell my wifes from Hampshire, for retirement she wants to move back down south, close to the coast, so what does your wife REALLY WANT.

As Thenodrog points out employment opportunities around here have severely diminished, the local statistic is 7 people are currently chasing every 1 job, so you will have to come and open up an enterprise of your own.

All the best for the future and please discuss with the board your intentions.

I live about 5 minutes walk from the sea front. To a lot of people that is a dream. But you take it for granted. I can drive past without even giving it a glance. I have fished it I don't know how many times. My wife and I work together on things about moving etc. We weigh up the pros and cons for each other so not a problem there at all.

I know where you mean PAFFELL, I'm sure the Seven Trees (and all the other pubs) have closed down around there, 'demographic shifts' and all that.

All I could say in its favour, is that you are only a decent walk from town and you are much closer to Ewood Park than before.

Dear God, Sidders...has it really got that bad? I'm a born and bred Blackburnian but all my remaining friends in the area report back negatively. The worrying thing is...I only left for the last time in 2007! Less than four years ago, and yet there seems to be a real gloom about the place to such an extent that it didn't exist even then...just 48 months ago!

The closure of so many pubs and taverns couldn't have helped either, they were the local get-together places for so many centuries. Is there anything better than having a pint in an old pub like The Royal Oak at Pleckgate and being able to read stories on its walls about how it was in place in the 18th century...This is the town that was referred to as "the beeriest town in England" a century ago due to the prevalence of its watering holes. Yet all I hear is of classic pubs like The Sportsmans, Corporation and The Cemetary closing. Whatever happened to the Christmas Eve Revidge Run?!?

It's a damn shame what has happened to Blackburn. Unlike when I grew up, there is no nightlife in the town centre worth speaking of, and I wish I knew what the solution to revive the fortunes of the inner town itself might be, but, alas, nobody knows. It's been a slow but continual decline since our raison d'etre was taken away from us with the collapse of the cotton manufacturing industry.

The reason for the closing of pubs is pretty obvious, most have gone in areas where those partial to a pint no longer reside, obviously exceptions to that as pubs are strugglling generally.

The Revidge Run has gone, as it is quite a walk from the Royal Oak to the West View with no other pubs on the way!

The nightlife is a vicous circle, 10 years ago Blackburn was a cracking night out, however as bars closed, people went elsewhere, they won't come back as there are no bars!

Go to Darwen, Accy, Preston Clitheroe, even BURNLEY at a weekend and you see Blackburners everywhere.

The Seven Trees has been shut for years. I lived in Little Harwood about 5 years a go with my mum and family. Not sure if I would move back up there as I found the whole area a bit clique. Although you do have a good opportunity to move to an area you want to, and you can always stay for a while and move somewhere else if it is not your taste.

I was lucky, though. Did well on exams (despite being a lazy so-and-so) and went to uni and so on...and so I travelled and managed to get employed in other places. I never dreamed it might grow to be a permanent exile until I went back...and realised how much I had changed and yet my home town seemed stuck in a time-warp. Is this a time to be going back to Blackburn...yet expecting work? The much-reduced job pages of the LET suggest not.

Agreed. My business and my roots are here but it saddens me to look back on the downward path that Blackburn has moved on. Travel does indeed broaden the mind FLB. Without the nous and drive to move forward you may well have succumbed to the Blackburn malaise yourself.

I suppose in reflection the King Cotton era was just a flash in the pan, and a close parallel to the Walker years at BRFC. Without those two benefactors baling us out we will inevitably revert to our base level. Shame we didn't have the motivation and dynamism within our boundaries to move on forward. I guess it's the anglo saxon in us. The Romans came, conquered and taught us how to make houses out of stone with central heating, running water, sanitation, baths etc and as soon as they'd buggered off the anglo saxons ignored all that and reverted to type with cold damp draughty wattle and daub abodes with straw on the floor (of the rich), open cess pits etc. Take a pig out of a sty and it's still a pig eh?

PAFELL I wouldn't consider using the initial purchase as a stepping stone unless you are prepared to wait a far while.

We looked at buying a second house doing it up then moving in and selling ours. Ultimately the vendor's demands on price were £30,000 different from our offer so this fell through. What I did discover is locally around 1 in 12 properties actually sell which us a very depressed market.

Have you considered selling yours and then renting in Lancashire until you decide on the area which suits you both?

I know there used to be a pub in the area called seven trees (that might make it easier for some on here).

That shut years ago. Nearest drink now would be either The Orchard WMC on one side, or The Stanley Arms on the other.

The reason for the closing of pubs is pretty obvious, most have gone in areas where those partial to a pint no longer reside, obviously exceptions to that as pubs are strugglling generally.

Not surely that is the answer to all the closures. Sportsmans and Dog Inn, for example, used to have plenty of regulars. There must still be quite a few drinkers around there.

That shut years ago. Nearest drink now would be either The Orchard WMC on one side, or The Stanley Arms on the other.

Not surely that is the answer to all the closures. Sportsmans and Dog Inn, for example, used to have plenty of regulars. There must still be quite a few drinkers around there.

Apart from the shut pub, do you know anything more about the area?

PAFELL I wouldn't consider using the initial purchase as a stepping stone unless you are prepared to wait a far while.

We looked at buying a second house doing it up then moving in and selling ours. Ultimately the vendor's demands on price were £30,000 different from our offer so this fell through. What I did discover is locally around 1 in 12 properties actually sell which us a very depressed market.

Have you considered selling yours and then renting in Lancashire until you decide on the area which suits you both?

Quite prepared to remain for awhile or as long as needed. But if the area is ok, then of course stay. We have considered selling ours and renting. But slightly put off going back and forth to find a good enough place - even if it would only be tempory. Thought about selling, putting into storage our belongings, renting a furnished place for awhile in Blackburn - but does not sit comfortable with me - too much of a move. I actually got a shock on what people are prepared to pay for my own home and what I can get for the money in the north. The market is bad at the moment, but flats down her have either retained their value or increased in value.

Apart from the shut pub, do you know anything more about the area?

I have friends who live in the area. At Roe Lee there are a few takeaways, including a chippy, curryhouse in what used to be The Cemetary and a Chinese. There are some more Seven Trees, including a Pizza place and a fast food joint. A sweet shop, a bookies and a newsagent as well. Couple of off licences at Roe Lee. There aren't really any supermarkets nearby but there is a Spar about half way up St. James' Road, as well as another Chinese place called Ray's.

Buses go along Preston New Road fairly regularly into the centre, or the other way to Langho/Whalley etc. A brisk walk of a mile and a half or so would see you at Wilpshire and Ramgreaves railway station, where the train goes one way to Langho, Whalley and Clitheroe, or the other way all the way to Blackpool. So, a trip to London would entail a change at Preston. Some further curry houses at Bastwell, and a LloydsTSB bank, if it's still there. Little Harwood health centre would be your nearest clinic. There is also a Coop there. So, facilities are around, and if not then town is about a 20-minute or so walk.

It's an alright area, but has seen much better days, to be honest. A lot of pubs in the area have shut due to so many of the drinking class leaving.

I have friends who live in the area. At Roe Lee there are a few takeaways, including a chippy, curryhouse in what used to be The Cemetary and a Chinese. There are some more Seven Trees, including a Pizza place and a fast food joint. A sweet shop, a bookies and a newsagent as well. Couple of off licences at Roe Lee. There aren't really any supermarkets nearby but there is a Spar about half way up St. James' Road, as well as another Chinese place called Ray's.

Buses go along Preston New Road fairly regularly into the centre, or the other way to Langho/Whalley etc. A brisk walk of a mile and a half or so would see you at Wilpshire and Ramgreaves railway station, where the train goes one way to Langho, Whalley and Clitheroe, or the other way all the way to Blackpool. So, a trip to London would entail a change at Preston. Some further curry houses at Bastwell, and a LloydsTSB bank, if it's still there. Little Harwood health centre would be your nearest clinic. There is also a Coop there. So, facilities are around, and if not then town is about a 20-minute or so walk.

It's an alright area, but has seen much better days, to be honest. A lot of pubs in the area have shut due to so many of the drinking class leaving.

Thanks

Good luck with your move back north. Ignore the usual suspects who have used your thread to criticise Blackburn (again). There might be fewer pubs than in the past (pubs are closing all over Britain for social and economic reasons) but at least you'll be able to watch Rovers regularly again (hopefully still in the PL) and you won't be surrounded by Tory voters any more. Go for it !

Archived