BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Considering moving to Blackburn

Having not lived in Blackburn for well over 35 years. I am considering moving back up - now that my wife is now agreeable. One reason is I still have family in the area. We are trying to find out information about the area that Taylor Wimpey are building a new development at Laburnum Rd called the Orchard. From my understanding it is off the Whally New road and not far from Whitebirk industrial estate. Whilst we are still living in the south - and being away from Blackburn for so long - it is hard to find imfo.

Fully understand people will have differing views. But any information about this particular area would be helpful.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not try just outside Blackburn, away from the Burnley side.

The Hoghton, Higher Wheelton area is very nice. Ask Bazza and Paul. Decent pubs, decent ale, good choice of eateries, low crime rate and nice people like the aforementioned and me!! And is cheaper than the Ribble Valley.

I open the curtains in the moring (the dawn chorus is a pain)and have woodpeckers, nuthatches, and deer and it is only 15 minutes max from Ewood.

• Backroom

Isnt the orchard development in Little Harwood? Could be a little rough.

We keep hoping for new developments near feniscowles but I'm not expectant.

Would you consider Buckshaw Village? It's Chorley but near the motorway and a whole new village of new builds.

Isnt the orchard development in Little Harwood? Could be a little rough.

We keep hoping for new developments near feniscowles but I'm not expectant.

Would you consider Buckshaw Village? It's Chorley but near the motorway and a whole new village of new builds.

Yes it is little harwood. Lanburnum rd to be exact.

Having not lived in Blackburn for well over 35 years. I am considering moving back up - now that my wife is now agreeable. One reason is I still have family in the area. We are trying to find out information about the area that Taylor Wimpey are building a new development at Laburnum Rd called the Orchard. From my understanding it is off the Whally New road and not far from Whitebirk industrial estate. Whilst we are still living in the south - and being away from Blackburn for so long - it is hard to find imfo.

Fully understand people will have differing views. But any information about this particular area would be helpful.

Good for you Pafell. I have always enjoyed living in this area, and intend to always live in the borough. Yes it's a fag having to drive 30+ miles to work ... but I always have a smile on my face driving back east in an evening. I think I am and always will be a moorland lad. If you are selling a property in the south then the world should be your oyster with regards to buying a place up here.

Pafell, you and Mrs Pafell need to come up here for a long weekend and have a good look round for yourself. I live and work in Blackburn and wish I did neither. Would I move to Laburnum Rd? No. The area has some lovely areas with decent people where you can live a good life, but they are becoming fewer. If I could afford to I'd move back to the Ribble Valley where I grew up. Mrs Sidders would move to Cornwall if she could. Not sure if she includes me in her plans though.

Mr & Mrs Paul are not urban animals so we wouldn't chose to live in the area you suggest or anywhere close to the town. Nothin against Blackburn we just don't like urban living - except York which is a very special place for us.

PB is right about the area between Chorley and blackburn. Its quite a broad area, wide range of property choices, reasonable prices which are reducing rapidly in the villages, easy access to Blackburn, Chorley, Preston, Manchester and the surrounding countryside. It's very quiet with no social issues etc

.......and home to some of the best supporters in the land!!! :)

...........and it is only 15 minutes max from Ewood.

Slow coach. Often leave the house at 2.40 and in our seats by KO!!! Bit of a sweat mind you.

I did include a stop off for a pint in my local (Royal Oak) in the quoted 15 mins. :P

I'm suprised you can afford it PB. Went in there recently and I seem to rem the Wainrights was £3.40 a pint or thereabouts! Another member on here was beside himself with indignation, as a result the Royal Oak is currently deleted off our list.

You can do much better for your money than the Orchard, i would not even consider it.

I believe planning will be submitted for a new development on the old Jones's Textiles site in Feniscowles. I agree out towards Hoghton, Higher Wheelton, Riley Green, Brinscall and Withnell are the better places to live. In other words not in Blackburn, haha.

Do employent prospects come into this decision Pafell? 35 years is a long time and 35 years ago Blackburn still had plenty of employment opportunities on offer. ROF, Mullards, Scapa, Star Paper, Walkers Steel, Pickerings, Cobble, various textile mills still operating, Cupal, Newmans, Local authority, NHS and BAC etc etc etc. Now they are all gone apart from the last three which are still in existence but with only one of those managing to wipe it's own nose. Unfortunately the inhabitants of Blackburn reflect this change with the most employable and ambitious individuals moving out long ago and the less employable remaining.

Do employent prospects come into this decision Pafell? 35 years is a long time and 35 years ago Blackburn still had plenty of employment opportunities on offer. ROF, Mullards, Scapa, Star Paper, Walkers Steel, Pickerings, Cobble, various textile mills still operating, Cupal, Newmans, Local authority, NHS and BAC etc etc etc. Now they are all gone apart from the last three which are still in existence but with only one of those managing to wipe it's own nose. Unfortunately the inhabitants of Blackburn reflect this change with the most employable and ambitious individuals moving out long ago and the less employable remaining.

One of the reasons is the scheme companies like Taylor Wimpey have in helping you to sell your own property, part exchange / easymove for example. With the market being as it is with regards to property it is a way of making a move from south to north a bit easier. Trying to avoid any chains etc. So considering using the Taylor Wimpey scheme to get the initial move up, then 'maybe' reconsider once moved up if we need to.

Trying to find simular schemes in the area. But without luck.

I have family in lancashire, which is another reason. Employment, I can put my hand to a lot of things - if need - to and am not fussy what I do. I always find ways to make a buck or two. There are jobs in most areas, but often people too fussy as to what they do. I am fortunate I am able to take high or low paid work - I work because I actually like working.

I'm suprised you can afford it PB. Went in there recently and I seem to rem the Wainrights was £3.40 a pint or thereabouts! Another member on here was beside himself with indignation, as a result the Royal Oak is currently deleted off our list.

Gordon, I go for the cooking bitter (Original) at £3 or Mild at £2-90. It is a good pint although I have been known to stray to the Feildens Arms in Fenni (near you?) or the Boars Head which is closer to my cottage. The BH has a decent pint and is cheaper but is does have chav things like a one arm bandit and a tv.

I go to The Royal Oak for a better class of conversation amongst like minded middle class folk....you know what I mean ;)

Gordon, I go for the cooking bitter (Original) at £3 or Mild at £2-90. It is a good pint although I have been known to stray to the Feildens Arms in Fenni (near you?) or the Boars Head which is closer to my cottage. The BH has a decent pint and is cheaper but is does have chav things like a one arm bandit and a tv.

I go to The Royal Oak for a better class of conversation amongst like minded middle class folk....you know what I mean ;)

You get what you pay for, and the Royal Oak is consistently a good pint, even for larger drinkers, but the Fielden arms has to be the worst pint of Stella I have ever tasted in my life. We've all told the landlord several times but he doesn't agree, so I don't go there anymore. As for the BH, the Peroni on draft is very good, but the bar staff can often be in a world of their own, so on fleeting visits these days.

You get what you pay for, and the Royal Oak is consistently a good pint, even for larger drinkers, but the Fielden arms has to be the worst pint of Stella I have ever tasted in my life. We've all told the landlord several times but he doesn't agree, so I don't go there anymore. As for the BH, the Peroni on draft is very good, but the bar staff can often be in a world of their own, so on fleeting visits these days.

Flippin heck Gav, we have similar views on food and beer, pity it does not extend to Mr Bean (sorry Kean)!!

You are right about the BH, the landlord is a wee bit what do you say "quiet", but the ale is ok, and I can walk home.

Archived