BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Kean

Glenn

We're now had our worst start since the 1950s, but an improved performance and some bad luck. So how do people feel?  

784 members have voted

1. 1. Sack or Back

• Sack him now
    • Give him more time

But the percentage football you describe is based on luck no matter how scientific the approach. He could have planned every inch of hoofing the ball into the box but how it falls has nothing to do with how he manages. It's based on whether the ball can be knocked down or if the opposition can't clear it properly. It's purely about where the ball falls in the box. Yes he can plan to get it into the box but what happens after that isn't down to his managerial ability.

Playing football allows a manager to be much more scientific in their approach and whilst goals will still come via luck, there will be many more which come from build up play, passing ability and skill.

I'm happy he kept us up after Ince but I feel at the time we had a team which any respectful manager would've kept up. Being happy him keeping us up doesn't mean I have to like the man or his style of football though.

If the facts tell you your more like to score and win games by playing a certain way and you do this I don't think its luck. Its responding to the evidence and using data to win matches.

I agree with you though about the players he had though. I never sensed we were going to push on.

I think we lacked the ocha player. If we had shined guti I think we would have seen us play a better style.

That said there was something about sam that made him hard to like. Never really took him to heart.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's stop the spin, we hear it enough from our manager. Allardyce took over a side that was staring at relegation thanks to Ince. The club took action then before it was too late.

Hang on, it's not spin it's fact. The point wasn't to suggest that Allardyce didn't do a great job (in fact the original post said just that) it was about a sense of perspective and balance rather than this view that seems to have permeated this site that he was the messiah.

Allardyce did base his football on luck...hence him playing a percentage game. Get the ball in the box and it'll fall to someone.

And Allardyce inherited a squad who could have played better football than they did.

And it was ######.

And it was boring.

And me saying all that is in no way defending Kean which some people seem to think i'm doing.

Allardyce was ###### ######. He's a ###### person. I hate the man.

Ha ha! So much rage and anger.

Allardyce did base his football on luck...hence him playing a percentage game. Get the ball in the box and it'll fall to someone.

And Allardyce inherited a squad who could have played better football than they did.

And it was ######.

And it was boring.

And me saying all that is in no way defending Kean which some people seem to think i'm doing.

Allardyce was ###### ######. He's a ###### person. I hate the man.

My my, it's the ghost of Charlie Carolli......

Guest Rovers4Good

Think we are getting off the fact that this thread is about Steve Kean?

Let's face it, it's not been a great start to the season and it wasn't a great ending to last season either. We are stuck with Kean for a while as any decent business man or woman wouldn't give someone a kitty and then sack him just after he's spent it.

I cannot honestly find many good things to say about Kean to counter the nauseating negativity on this thread, other than...at least he is not that hoofballing slug, Mr Vain.

That is the biggest positive to happen to my football club since Venky's.

I hope Mr Kean learns how to win football matches quickly,because he now has the resouces to do it with some panache thereby entertaining the paying public once again.

If he fails, I hope the (experienced) replacement is given the entertainment mandate.

Good luck Mr Kean.

Hats off to Tony Diamond for countering the negativity on this thread. That said I am worried that SkyBET have us as third favorite for relegation. We may need a proper, durable 90 min per game goal scorer in Jan window to ensure survival.

If the facts tell you your more like to score and win games by playing a certain way and you do this I don't think its luck. Its responding to the evidence and using data to win matches.

I agree with you though about the players he had though. I never sensed we were going to push on.

I think we lacked the ocha player. If we had shined guti I think we would have seen us play a better style.

That said there was something about sam that made him hard to like. Never really took him to heart.

It's using a footballing system that's based on luck. You ain't changing my view on that.

Agreed on the other points. It was his constant team bashing that did it for me; two half chances and we should've won by four.

It's using a footballing system that's based on luck. You ain't changing my view on that.

Agreed on the other points. It was his constant team bashing that did it for me; two half chances and we should've won by four.

Maybe using the statitics of luck can be argued as scientific, but it's cluching at straws imo. The "football" was atrocious at times.

Yes, it got results, but the means to and end were extremely hard to swallow as a fan.

Although I confess that my judgement is clouded by the fact that the man couldn't string a sentence together, had a very indifferent and defeatist attitude to getting a drubbing and never really, if we're being honest with ourselves, displayed any real affinity to the club or us as fans.

Maybe using the statitics of luck can be argued as scientific, but it's cluching at straws imo. The "football" was atrocious at times.

Yes, it got results, but the means to and end were extremely hard to swallow as a fan.

Although I confess that my judgement is clouded by the fact that the man couldn't string a sentence together, had a very indifferent and defeatist attitude to getting a drubbing and never really, if we're being honest with ourselves, displayed any real affinity to the club or us as fans.

Who did show affinnity? Does Kean? Did Hughes? Did Ince? They are all out for themselves, like the players. They are brought in to a job, not be the new Ronnie or Dougie.

Couldn't string a sentence together? Complete nonsense that just shows the depths the anti Allardyce brigade will go to.

I didn't find winning game after game at Ewood 'hard to swallow', I've found this new regime very difficult to get down my gullet however.

Half arsed training sessions and bringing in a load of cheap foreigners is an approach that will succeed largely on 'luck', not a manager with a track record, who can man manage and blend youth and experince.

We've won a handful of games in 9 months and the bloke who had us a win away from 6th after saving us from relegation, 10th and a cup semi is STILL derided by a minority of ungreatful 'fans' on here.

Once again, it is this 'I demand good football' (not that we are seeing any) routine over wanting the best for BRFC.

Guest Rovers4Good

Come on Matty you demand good football?

We haven't played good football in a while and yes it's something that we all want to see but not sure we're going to get in the near future bud. :(

Who did show affinnity? Does Kean? Did Hughes? Did Ince? They are all out for themselves, like the players. They are brought in to a job, not be the new Ronnie or Dougie.

Couldn't string a sentence together? Complete nonsense that just shows the depths the anti Allardyce brigade will go to.

I didn't find winning game after game at Ewood 'hard to swallow', I've found this new regime very difficult to get down my gullet however.

Half arsed training sessions and bringing in a load of cheap foreigners is an approach that will succeed largely on 'luck', not a manager with a track record, who can man manage and blend youth and experince.

We've won a handful of games in 9 months and the bloke who had us a win away from 6th after saving us from relegation, 10th and a cup semi is STILL derided by a minority of ungreatful 'fans' on here.

Once again, it is this 'I demand good football' (not that we are seeing any) routine over wanting the best for BRFC.

You're confusing the desire of wanting BFS out with the wish for Kean in.

I think you'll find that the two are seldom synonymous.

Guest Rovers4Good

I want winning football, simple as that.

playing good football and winning at the same time is something that we haven't done for a while so you better keep your fingers crossed for that. :)

The only teams that are doing this are both Manchester clubs and even Arsenal who on their day play the most atractive club aren't winning at the moment.

The PL is in 3 stages at the present time and they are:

Champions League hopefuls: Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs.

Top half hopefuls: Villa, Fulham, Stoke, Everton (usually) and Newcastle.

And the rest are fighting to stay in the league: Rovers, West Brom, Swansea, Norwich, Sunderland, QPR, Bolton, Wigan and Wolves.

The death of the PL is the Champs League and it has done for a while now where the big clubs just get bigger and bigger and the rest have to look out for takeovers from v rich business people and not the likes of Venky's :(

Replacing a proven hoofballer. Someone who had driven away some long-established Rovers fans, and had me questioning whether I would renew my ST.

Who the hell cares whether you as an individual have a season ticket or not? BRFC don't, the Venkeys don't, Steve Kean and the players certainly don't. Just look at the facts TDI. I'll put it in a nutshell for you.....Season ticket sales are tumbled way way down this summer after rising steadily through Allardyces tenure. We are down by thousands and your individual contribution is just a fly speck compared to that. You are so gormless with an agenda'd based on irrational hatred that you can't even produce a reasoned opinion based on facts.

Percentage football just by it's very definition does place a huge reliance on luck. It also bores the pants off those who have to endure it. In addition it gives the club a negative reputation.

Quite the opposite. %age football negates luck by definition. Yet more evidence of your inability to think logically and with clarity.

If Allardyce's tactics were down to luck Tony Diamond. how come Bolton got so lucky to finish comfortably top half every season, as did Rovers?

If it had been down to luck, wouldn't the fortunes of those clubs have wavered enormously?

It doesn't make you right though. It's a footballing system based on statistics and probability. It's mathematics if anything.

It's based on anomalies then. Once during a game the ball may fall to someone to have a chance in the box. It doesn't happen enough to be accepted as part of a statistic or probability because it doesn't happen more than a certain percentage of times. Hence it's an anomoly. Hence it's closer to luck than science.

Who the hell cares whether you as an individual have a season ticket or not? BRFC don't, the Venkeys don't, Steve Kean and the players certainly don't. Just look at the facts TDI. I'll put it in a nutshell for you.....Season ticket sales are tumbled way way down this summer after rising steadily through Allardyces tenure. We are down by thousands and your individual contribution is just a fly speck compared to that. You are so gormless with an agenda'd based on irrational hatred that you can't even produce a reasoned opinion based on facts.

It's funny how the same folk pop up each season threatening not to get a season ticket. I'm still wondering though, how we managed to keep ticket sales rising through Sam's tenure. You can't say it was the scintillating football although it was nice to win now and again. I'd say fair reasons were Simon Williams' tremendous efforts to make ticket prices affordable to local fans.

Odd how frequently he appears on TV as a pundit / analyst then Jackson isn't it? I suggest your view is in a dsitinct minority.

It's based on anomalies then. Once during a game the ball may fall to someone to have a chance in the box. It doesn't happen enough to be accepted as part of a statistic or probability because it doesn't happen more than a certain percentage of times. Hence it's an anomoly. Hence it's closer to luck than science.

You're basing a stupid argument on stupid allegations that all Rovers ever did, was kick the ball high into the air.

It's funny how the same folk pop up each season threatening not to get a season ticket. I'm still wondering though, how we managed to keep ticket sales rising through Sam's tenure. You can't say it was the scintillating football although it was nice to win now and again. I'd say fair reasons were Simon Williams' tremendous efforts to make ticket prices affordable to local fans.

say what you want but sorry that just won't work as an argument rmum. The prices have stayed the same this season so by adding inflation to the equation they have actually come down in price. Ticket prices down and ticket sales down in 12 months. Lets stick to facts should we?

Give it up lad. You are sounding increasingly silly. Like I said to Rmum lets have fewer opinions and more facts. Unfortunately the facts since Kean was installed the facts dont bear thinking about. Do they?

Archived