BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Kean

Glenn

We're now had our worst start since the 1950s, but an improved performance and some bad luck. So how do people feel?  

784 members have voted

1. 1. Sack or Back

• Sack him now
    • Give him more time

Hang on a second, you can't say that Kean took over a top 10 side and ruined it, and at the same time conveniently forget that the side Allardyce took over had finished 7th the previous May. wouldn't go a miss

My perspective tells me that that is 2 top level managers v two bloody awful ones! Absolutely in a nutshell!

btw RTH Don't forget from the side that finished 7th Allardyce did not have Friedel, Warnock and Bentley at his disposal and rsc was pretending injured all season. All top top players.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

My perspective tells me that that is 2 top level managers v two bloody awful ones! Absolutely in a nutshell!

btw RTH Don't forget from the side that finished 7th Allardyce did not have Friedel, Warnock and Bentley at his disposal and rsc was pretending injured all season. All top top players.

I think this post pretty much sums up the whole management competency matter.

If what's heard on the podcast is to be believed, Venky's seem to be running out of patience with Kean, particularly now given that Anderson's services have been disposed of.

I'm clutching at anything at the minute as can probably be gathered :rover:

The squad he took over probably needed about three months for them to readjust their necks to be able to look at the ground.

Whilst we didn't need a whole new squad, they needed to learn to play football again. Something we never did under Allsy. His football and basing results on chance and luck is the reason we finished top half.

:lol::lol::lol:

Nice one.

Almost thought you were being serious for a couple of minutes then!

C'mon RTH. You know very well that Sam didn't take over the team that finished 7th.

I sometimes wonder what would have happened if he had - apart from Facebook imploding.

I still cannot cope with the stupidity of the intellectual derelicts who signed that stupid facebook petition and sentenced us to suffer 6 months of that pillock ince. Comparable only to the stupidity of the man/men who took any bloody notice of a few snotty nosed kids on there. Allardyce was all lined up and ready to go. Who did they think we would attract? Mourhino, Wenger, Ferguson? Moyes possibly? :rolleyes: They are the only managers with a longer and better Premier League record than Allardyce. He lived down the road and we would have had no compensation to pay either! Rem we even had to compensate MK Dons! :wstu:

History unfortunately will show us repeatedly pushing the self destruction button from 2009 on..... if there is anybody around who cares enough to read it

I still cannot cope with the intellectual derelicts who signed that stupid facebook petition and sentenced us to suffer 6 months of that pillock ince. Allardyce was all lined up and ready to go. Who did they think we would attract? Mourhino, Wenger, Ferguson? Moyes possibly? They are the only managers with a longer and better record than him. No compensation to pay either! Rem we even had to compensate MK Dons! :wstu:

it's like the people who still to this day don't think they'd take Benitez as our manager.

I still cannot cope with the intellectual derelicts who signed that stupid facebook petition and sentenced us to suffer 6 months of that pillock ince. Allardyce was all lined up and ready to go. Who did they think we would attract? Mourhino, Wenger, Ferguson? Moyes possibly? They are the only managers with a longer and better record than him. No compensation to pay either! Rem we even had to compensate MK Dons! :wstu:

In a few fans minds, anyone would have been better than the "hoofball slug".........ironic, or not, how many of the same people have been big fans of Kean too, defending him to extremes, when they were all too happy to lay into our previous manager even when we were winning matches.

In a few fans minds, anyone would have been better than the "hoofball slug".........ironic, or not, how many of the same people have been big fans of Kean too, defending him to extremes, when they were all too happy to lay into our previous manager even when we were winning matches.

"Sorry I was completely wrong, I have been stupid beyond belief and am obviously a hopeless judge of footballing issues." seems so hard for some people to say doesn't it? Odd given the fact that most people on here post under a false name.

Bentley I will give you, and RSC too - but Warnock was still playing for Sam and Robinson was a decent equivalent (although not as good as Brad then)

you inherit the team that played the previous week when a different manager was in charge, not the one 6 months prior that had been changed completely throughout the offseason in between.

Changed completely? Not really true.

But back on topic I guess - our squad should be capable of a decent position but as Den pointed out in a post recently - time is running out fast...

Bentley I will give you, and RSC too - but Warnock was still playing for Sam and Robinson was a decent equivalent (although not as good as Brad then)

Didn't Bentley Warnock leave the summer after Allardyce came so didn't figure in Allardyces full season where we finished 10th?

* Only my personal opinion but Freidel is still worth about 3 points per season more than Paul Robinson, and probably a couple more back then.

• Moderation Lead

I think most Rovers fans even now, would rather have Friedel back in goal, but c'est la vie.

Robbo was the best possible replacement at the time, and he was picked up quite cheaply, especially considering he was England's first choice keeper for as long as he was.

Didn't Bentley leave the summer after Allardyce came so didn't figure in Allardyces full season where we finished 10th?

* Only my personal opinion but Freidel is still worth about 3 points per season more than Paul Robinson, and probably a couple more back then.

I'm sure Ince sold Bentley following press-up-gate.

I've said before Freidel to Robbo was the only good thing Ince did. If we could have guaranteed a keeper of Robbo's standard 2-3 years later that then keeping Freidel was the ideal options. Sadly life isn't always perfect and you have to make the best of opportunities as they arise.

I'm sure Ince sold Bentley following press-up-gate.

I've said before Freidel to Robbo was the only good thing Ince did. If we could have guaranteed a keeper of Robbo's standard 2-3 years later that then keeping Freidel was the ideal options. Sadly life isn't always perfect and you have to make the best of opportunities as they arise.

Sorry Jisty I meant warnock. I've just corrected it.

I was sure that in May 2008 we finished 7th (our 3rd top half finish in a row) and in December 2008 Big Sam took over after the Ince debacle :P

Let's stop the spin, we hear it enough from our manager. Allardyce took over a side that was staring at relegation thanks to Ince. The club took action then before it was too late.

I cannot honestly find many good things to say about Kean to counter the nauseating negativity on this thread, other than...at least he is not that hoofballing slug, Mr Vain.

That is the biggest positive to happen to my football club since Venky's.

I hope Mr Kean learns how to win football matches quickly,because he now has the resouces to do it with some panache thereby entertaining the paying public once again.

If he fails, I hope the (experienced) replacement is given the entertainment mandate.

Good luck Mr Kean.

I cannot honestly find many good things to say about Kean to counter the nauseating negativity on this thread, other than...at least he is not that hoofballing slug, Mr Vain.

If that's a positive (replacing a proven and experienced manager with a complete novice - who has turned out to be a massive failure), then I wouldn't like to know what you class as a negative...

Allardyce did base his football on luck...hence him playing a percentage game. Get the ball in the box and it'll fall to someone.

And Allardyce inherited a squad who could have played better football than they did.

And it was ######.

And it was boring.

And me saying all that is in no way defending Kean which some people seem to think i'm doing.

Allardyce was ###### ######. He's a ###### person. I hate the man.

If that's a positive (replacing a proven and experienced manager with a complete novice - who has turned out to be a massive failure), then I wouldn't like to know what you class as a negative...

Replacing a proven hoofballer. Someone who had driven away some long-established Rovers fans, and had me questioning whether I would renew my ST.

That is the biggest positive to happen to my football club since Venky's.

I hope Mr Kean learns how to win football matches quickly,because he now has the resouces to do it with some panache thereby entertaining the paying public once again.

If he fails, I hope the (experienced) replacement is given the entertainment mandate.

Good luck Mr Kean.

If he fails, any new manager will be too pre-occupied with trying to stop us slipping further into Div 1 to worry about entertainment.

I honestly feel some on here don't grasp how much is at stake.

Allardyce did base his football on luck...hence him playing a percentage game.

Firstly,if Allardyce worked out the percentages, then, by definition and logic, its not luck----its planning!

Secondly,I think the second sentence tells us all we want to know---blind hatred means genuine discussion is impossible.

If he fails, any new manager will be too pre-occupied with trying to stop us slipping further into Div 1 to worry about entertainment.

I honestly feel some on here don't grasp how much is at stake.

Firstly,if Allardyce worked out the percentages, then, by definition and logic, its not luck----its planning!

Secondly,I think the second sentence tells us all we want to know---blind hatred means genuine discussion is impossible.

You must then ask, why does he hate the man. The reason to me is quite obvious, he spread a disease through our beloved club that is proving a difficult liner to turn. (just been down the metaphor shop)

Percentage football just by it's very definition does place a huge reliance on luck. It also bores the pants off those who have to endure it. In addition it gives the club a negative reputation.

i still wake up every morning and thank Venky's he's gone.

Cleansed!

Allardyce did base his football on luck...hence him playing a percentage game. Get the ball in the box and it'll fall to someone.

And Allardyce inherited a squad who could have played better football than they did.

And it was ######.

And it was boring.

And me saying all that is in no way defending Kean which some people seem to think i'm doing.

Sams football had nothing to do with luck. It was a scientific approach based on maximising the percentages and and grinding out every little extra to give a better chance of result.

I'm no huge fan of his, it could be hard to watch at times. Although he was easily the best man for the job available to us.

Its a joke to label him as lucky though. His whole approach was about hard work and leaving no stone un touched. It had nothing to do with luck, if it did he wouldn't have managed at the top level with moderate success for so long.

But the percentage football you describe is based on luck no matter how scientific the approach. He could have planned every inch of hoofing the ball into the box but how it falls has nothing to do with how he manages. It's based on whether the ball can be knocked down or if the opposition can't clear it properly. It's purely about where the ball falls in the box. Yes he can plan to get it into the box but what happens after that isn't down to his managerial ability.

Playing football allows a manager to be much more scientific in their approach and whilst goals will still come via luck, there will be many more which come from build up play, passing ability and skill.

I'm happy he kept us up after Ince but I feel at the time we had a team which any respectful manager would've kept up. Being happy him keeping us up doesn't mean I have to like the man or his style of football though.

Archived