BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Yakubu

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said at the beginning of the summer I thought we should move for Yakubu.

Comparisons to Roberts are way wide of the mark, except for being black they are almost polar opposite. Roberts is great shape, works hard but unfortunately has no ability in front of goal. Yakubu is brilliant in front of goal but sometimes lacks the desire to perform.

If Kean can get the best out of him then we've got the goalscorer we've been crying out for. It's a pretty big 'if' though.

This is the lad that can't get in the Everton starting lineup, right? The one with Anichebe upfront? Good god.

This is the lad that can't get in the Everton starting lineup, right? The one with Anichebe upfront? Good god.

One man's trash is another man's treasure

I thought, as a Rovers fan, you would have learned that by now.

This signing (or potential signing) is a disgrace, utter disgrace.

He can barely get an Everton shirt over his belly the fat illegitimate and we have paid a reported £1.5 million for him.

Disgusting!

But if David Moyes last post-match interview is anything to go by, his perception of footballing matters is very odd indeed.

Yakubu always looked a class player to me and could be the perfect foil for our attacking players at present.

Given our lame attack last season it was imperative we signed significantly better players than we already had and also increased competition for places by having more options. I was mildly happy at signing Goodwillie as there's potential there but Yakubu is a depressing thought. He's immediately consigned to the profoundly undewhelming file in my eyes to rest alongside Benjani and Egil Ostenstad. And to think that only a fortnight ago we were talking about Raul. Very poor. Very poor indeed.

Had a chance to think about this one. He's better than benjani and Roberts. Didnt realise he is still only 28! Great goalscoring record and years ago would have gone for big big money! 1.5 Million is a steal and the only reason he doesnt get into the everton team is because Moyes doesnt like him!

Had a chance to think about this one. He's better than benjani and Roberts. Didnt realise he is still only 28! Great goalscoring record and years ago would have gone for big big money! 1.5 Million is a steal and the only reason he doesnt get into the everton team is because Moyes doesnt like him!

He's Nigerian '28', ie Roger Milla '32', Kanu '30' etc

He's Nigerian '28', ie Roger Milla '32', Kanu '30' etc

Roger Milla would be a great signing, can only be in his mid 30's by now.

Yakubu? Hmm I used to really rate the guy. haven't seen a lot of him since he lost his place in the Everton side a couple of years ago. If motivation is the problem then what suddenly makes him want to play his heart out for Rovers? Hopefully he's not just here to pick up his wages, I'll judge him on the pitch but right now I'm feeling very underwhelmed.

Ah well, the cricket is on soon at least.

Given our lame attack last season it was imperative we signed significantly better players than we already had and also increased competition for places by having more options. I was mildly happy at signing Goodwillie as there's potential there but Yakubu is a depressing thought. He's immediately consigned to the profoundly undewhelming file in my eyes to rest alongside Benjani and Egil Ostenstad. And to think that only a fortnight ago we were talking about Raul. Very poor. Very poor indeed.

Some people need to stop being drama whores on here. Okay, Yakubu isn't the star striker we all wanted but if his head's right he'll be a good acquisition to the side.

Btw, why do I keep reading that he's snubbed us?

If he was 28 I would be well pleased with signing him but he isn't is he. He is more like 32 or 33 and is on the way downhill which is why he was loaned out last year probabaly. On saying that as 1 of 4 strikers he would be a useful sub and he is far better than Samaras would ever be and will still be better than Samaras is now when he is 73.

If he was 28 I would be well pleased with signing him but he isn't is he. He is more like 32 or 33 and is on the way downhill which is why he was loaned out last year probabaly. On saying that as 1 of 4 strikers he would be a useful sub and he is far better than Samaras would ever be and will still be better than Samaras is now when he is 73.

Agreed 100%. I remember visiting some Nigerian football forums a couple of years ago after Moyes made a joke about "Nigerian age" vs. real age, which caused a great deal of controversy. A lot of the guys who posted there claimed that Yakubu - at the time - was about 33 or something. Still, Kanu must be about 67 now, and scored for Pompey last weekend.

Reality Check needed people

Yakubu may look like John Amos and nobody really knows his age but the man scores goals.

Before we start complaining just remember we wanted an experienced Premiership goalscorer and Yakubu has hit 122 goals in 322 games in English football...remind me who else we were after with that kind of record?

Archived