BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Yakubu

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not the striker we all expected when this window opened, but what Yak does have is a proven scoring record, and much better than players like Crouch ect who have gone for bigger money.

Players like Kalou ect who we also tried for, are not as prolific as this man, so a good signing IMO. If its enough only time will tell. We have been starved of a prolific striker since Roque left for City, One of our strikers needs to be hitting double figures this season, and they have till christmas to prove their worth, January the window re-opens and if we are still struggling for a consistant amount of goals from a striker then thats where we will need to once again look at

January the window re-opens and if we are still struggling for a consistant amount of goals from a striker then thats where we will need to once again look at

Sorry mate we need to beat Fulham other wise our season is in tatters and we will be fighting relegation all season long.

Can you honestly see us getting points from Newc Away, Arsenal Home and Man City Away?

Sorry mate we need to beat Fulham other wise our season is in tatters and we will be fighting relegation all season long.

Can you honestly see us getting points from Newc Away, Arsenal Home and Man City Away?

I totally agree 100%, I was just commenting on Yakubu, He is now blue and white and will get my 100% Support

Newcastle away-Yes, just look at our record there.

Arsenal home-We could get a draw if we stay concentrated and keep our shape.

Man City away-Last season took a monumental effort (particularly from Samba) and a lucky goal to get anything. So in a word...no.

I totally agree 100%, I was just commenting on Yakubu, He is now blue and white and will get my 100% Support

Yak will get everyone support I hope, as there is zero point in booing a player. Even although some Rovers fans took great joy in booing Andrews.

I will be more than happy to eat my hat when Yak starts to bang them in.

a few people have said this start well then fade: independent

Panic buys

Ayegbeni Yakubu Everton – Blackburn, £2m

Ronaldinho, Beckham, Raul...Yakubu. Blackburn already look a bit desperate and the arrival of "The Yak", after 10 Premier League goals in three seasons, does nothing to dispel that impression. Expect him to start well, then fade.

I'm not sure why everyone is questioning Yak's commitment and desire.

He was stuck in something of a rut at Everton and definitely going stale on the sidelines.

But I reckon a fresh start at Rovers will do him him the power of good.

He has a decent strike rate and can hit the ground running – no bedding in period. That's invaluable in my eyes.

I think £1.5 m for a 28-year-old with his experience and goalscoring record is an absolute steal. Definitely worth a punt.

We've a history of taking out of favour players on the cheap and bringing them back to life.

I hope the signing of Yak is a continuation of that trend.

PS great comparison to Shane Long further back up the board. Illustrates what a bargain we may have bagged.

Signing strikers are really difficult these days. Who should you sign? Lets look at January / Summer transfers and compare:

Darren Bent £24m. Would guarantee goals.

Shane Long £7m. Same record in the championship as Yakubu. No PREM experience.

Crouch £10m. 12 goals in 73 matches for Tottenham since 2009. Not very good is it. Our own Jason Roberts have managed 24 in 126. Which is a better record than Crouch.

Cameron Jerome £4m. 37 in 181 matches. Worse record than Jason Roberts.

Bryan Ruiz. £10.5m. 36 in 61 matches for FC Twente which is the Eresdivisie. 9 in 43 for the national team. Huge gamble for this sort of money and he can either be a Luis Suarez or a Afonso Alves or Mateja Kezman.

Demba Ba. Free. Could be shrewd business. 7 in 12 for West Ham a struggling side least season. However he did fail the medical for Stoke City.

Aguero. £38m. Goal guarantee.

David Ngog. £4m 9 in 61 matches. Almost same record as Jason Roberts.

Yakubu. £1.5m PREM Experience. 11 in 20 in the championship. 25 in 82 for Everton. Double of Cameron Jerome and Crouch and comes with prem experience.

Its difficult to tell, but either way a striker would represent a huge gamble if you not splash out £20m.

people need to look at it realistically, and that is, we were never going to spend heaps of money on players. The fact that Venkys are trying to balance the books, and keep the club going is a pretty good sign, even if majority of people do not like it. The one thing they could do, is bring in a proper manager, because you look at the squad, and you think to yourself, hmmm this is all setup for somebody like Hughes to take the club into the top 10.

Yakubu is a pretty decent striker, but it will be interesting to see if he starts or if the lump that is Roberts starts. We pretty much know the answer, but still, will be interesting. Yakubu, Goodwillie, Rochina, Formica should all start ahead of Roberts, as all of them at least look like they can do something positive. Yakubu just needs the service into the box, and in Junior, Vukcevic and Olsson, we have some pretty good players to provide the assist.

However, you just get the feeling, that come the Fulham game, that Yakubu, Vukcevic, Goodwillie and Rochina will all be on the bench, while we start with the likes of Dunn, Roberts and Pedersen.

I'm looking forward to seeing him play as well LeChuck. If he can get some fitness, then he could do well for us.

BTW, that video was pre-injury.

That's true. I don't think a ruptured achilles tendon is something that will affect him though. There is an article on the BBC here from when Beckham did his - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8567611.stm

As long as he doesn't suffer the same injury again (3 in 100 according to that BBC page) then it should return to normal when it has healed. A bit like a broken leg I guess. If it was a cruciate knee injury, or constant hamstring strains, I'd be more worried.

I think Yakubu's drop in form is better explained by the arrival of Louis Saha the summer after he was injured. Yakubu's chances were limited after Saha's arrival, and he never got a proper run of games to refind his form, plus he was no longer the main striker. His form at Leicester last season gives the biggest indication that he can still find the net when given a decent run of games.

Think his arrival will make Roberts up his game, expect Roberts to read a poem about Steve Kean on 606 this week after the Yaks "I think he's a good manager and the reason I am here " statement about Kean.

Seriously though if he is hungry , stays injury free and gets a decent service expecting him to get at least 8/9 goals, the way he plays makes him awkward for defenders and could open up goalscoring opportunities for others, the fact we got for only 1.5 million is a bonus. Not the sort of striker we were promised but could turn out to be a decent signing

Archived