BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Yakubu

braddock is taking his usual DGS approach of spending most of his time commenting on everybody else...

Funny how Philip transcends the membership and has many people doing that.

I havent seen him comment on Scott Dann agreeing to play under Kean for the second time in his career. However, if there was a sniff of a player not coming because of Kean, Philip would be all over it. Infact, he'd probably be the one stating it as fact when there's absolutely no indication of it being fact whatsoever.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live and work in Liverpool and pretty much all of the Evertonians I've spoken to today are convinced that Yak will score goals for us. He didn't fit the system Moyes wanted to play (neither did Beckford) and so was allowed to go. They also think that if we did get him for less than £2m then it's cheap.

I'm happy to welcome him to Ewood and also think that he will score goals for us this season. He isn't the 'big name' striker we all would have liked but he is experienced in the Prem and has shown he can score goals in it - with the young lads around him I think we will be ok for goals!

Explain the difference bwtween long ball and hoof ball?

But I've already done that too.

Very quickly:

Hoofing a ball aimlessly towards an unsupported striker, who can't even play the lone striker role is what I consider hoofball. That is your first port of call for any kind of pass.

Long ball tends to be (but not always as sometimes defenders sometimes need to clear quickly, or sometimes players make mistakes and just play awful balls/think they have less time than they have/are crap) aimed in the direction of the striker(s) who have support from the midfield. It isn't used all the time, just sparingly to put pressure on defenders, or when time is running out and we are throwing anything at the defence we can. Also when it comes to free-kicks too, as we can see that Robinson knows how to unsettle a team. It isn't however simply every time you get the ball you tw*t it up the field hoping for the best, there is far more structure. That's the thinking behind it anyway.

A case in point, both including Allardyce to avoid bias, his first game in charge against Stoke saw some hoofball, whereas Chimbonda's goal against Burnley was a well deployed and intended long ball.

I live and work in Liverpool and pretty much all of the Evertonians I've spoken to today are convinced that Yak will score goals for us. He didn't fit the system Moyes wanted to play (neither did Beckford) and so was allowed to go. They also think that if we did get him for less than £2m then it's cheap.

I'm happy to welcome him to Ewood and also think that he will score goals for us this season. He isn't the 'big name' striker we all would have liked but he is experienced in the Prem and has shown he can score goals in it - with the young lads around him I think we will be ok for goals!

Bit O/T but how are the Everton fans feeling today?

Whats the system, a 4-5-1?

Bit O/T but how are the Everton fans feeling today?

Putting a brave face on it I would say. Nearly all saying that they have alot of centre mids already and that Arteta hasnt really been any good (save for a couple of games) for the past two years and the fact he is 30 now means its good business. As for the strikers they've lost its the same thing - they dont suit Moyes style of play or what he wants from his front man and the Argie fella they have brought in at 6ft 3" holds the ball up better so no big loss...the fact is they have watched their team get sold whilst Liverpool spend spend spend and its not been easy to swallow!!

Whats the system, a 4-5-1?

Apparently it is an orthodox 4-5-1 (not this 4-2-3-1 etc) and so the front man is required to hold the ball up and chase lost causes and Moyes didn't feel that the Yak or Beckford could do that (Yak because of stamina over 90 mins and Beckford because of lack of strength).

well, after all the talk,promises, and striker names banded about; this signing of YAK is a HUGE let down and anyone trying to spin it any other way.. is kidding themselves or trying to kid others!

i still reiterate what i said yesterday about YAK... and if you all thought benni mac was lazy.. wait til you see this guy. :(

it also appears rovers were the only prem side in for him :( that tells a story.

well we're stuck with him. so, lets hope he does the business.

i cant argue with his goals record, but his form over reason seasons has been woeful (i understand inj record too.. but still).

he tends to start well at new clubs and then tails off.

if used as an impact sub, he may be effective. came on at ewood the other year.. and scored 2!

im trying to be positive.

well, after all the talk,promises, and striker names banded about; this signing of YAK is a HUGE let down and anyone trying to spin it any other way.. is kidding themselves or trying to kid others!

i still reiterate what i said yesterday about YAK... and if you all thought benni mac was lazy.. wait til you see this guy. :(

it also appears rovers were the only prem side in for him :( that tells a story.

well we're stuck with him. so, lets hope he does the business.

i cant argue with his goals record, but his form over reason seasons has been woeful (i understand inj record too.. but still).

he tends to start well at new clubs and then tails off.

if used as an impact sub, he may be effective. came on at ewood the other year.. and scored 2!

im trying to be positive.

thats probably the reality, I am really expecting another Benjani anything else is a bonus.

If he starts well for us, nets us over 10, happy days - worth the investment.

Seriously, maybe he had some hardcore competition at Everton, he sure as hell doesn't here. None of our strikers have a history as good as the Yak Monster, Roberts could only dream of double figures in the EPL.

I would rather play this lad for 60 mins week in - week out than Roberts who has been abysmal for way too long now.

Apparently it is an orthodox 4-5-1 (not this 4-2-3-1 etc) and so the front man is required to hold the ball up and chase lost causes and Moyes didn't feel that the Yak or Beckford could do that (Yak because of stamina over 90 mins and Beckford because of lack of strength).

Fair points all round - and somehting we can learn from.

I'd like to see a 4-5-1/4-2-3-1 adaptable depending on situation - N'zonzi and Petrovic as the 2, Vukcevic, Hoilett and Rochina as the 3 and Yak as the 1. Goodie to replace Yak when he keels over, with Rochina taking up a more advanced position and Formica coming on for any of the others as required. That would be my first choice.

Reading that it's apparent how completely over stocked we are with attacking midfielders and understocked with defensive midfielders and strikers.

That's quite a sensible way to use him actually.

I really don't think our young midfield are playing the way they want to when Roberts is on the field. Holding the ball up and requiring passes to his feet to do anything.. Yakubu isn't like that, he looks forward and moves around unlike Roberts, through balls from Rochina/Formica are currently none existent because Roberts tree stumps don't uproot.

He's big, he's strong, he has bundles of EPL experience, he is older and will tell the midfielders exactly what he wants. He is precisely the player we need, for sure it would of been great to get someone like this with his qualities who had been playing regularly and not of been on the bench for so long.. But we all know that you could easily multiply the figure we paid by 10 if that was the case.

Best thing is, he knows exactly how much air time we have given Roberts despite his lack of goals. I doubt Yak is feeling any pressure and knows if Kean gives him a chance he will light a fire up under his 'beep'.

Feed the Yak.

I'm pretty happy with Yakubu. He's a decent age (or so his passport says), and always reminded of a Benni McCarthy; does sod all, but always seems to score.

I've not seen as much of him over the last couple of years, but to my knowledge his goalscoring has remained consistent.

It could have been A LOT worse, and frankly, I'm happier with Yakubu for £2m than some risky foreigner for £6m.

[quote name='mike at picture'

Chunky lad :unsure:

Nah, just like Dunn he is only big boned..

Could be a good capture, but cant see Yakubu starting games up front for us. We have enought squad/impact strikers.. A striker who is better than Roberts and can lead the line in 90+ minutes is what we should have gotten in.

0,,10303~9948982,00.jpg

Jason Roberts mark 2 ?

Great signing, smashing, fabulous, thank you Venky's, lets hope he can scores many many goals for the blue and whites for many years to come :wacko:

Why hasnt he played recently and why was he loaned out to a championship team?

Archived