BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Yakubu

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ruptured Achilles.

Done little in the Prem since then. Don't know whether it's related, but it could be.

Yeah it will be. Prior to that he scored 69 goals in 169 league games (higher than 1 in 2.5 strike rate). After it he scored 10 in 53, which is more Roberts territory. A ruptured achilles tendon sounds about as bad as it gets so its understandable to take a season or 2 to fully recover from. Maybe he has lost some pace/agility permanently as a result of it but maybe he was just never given a proper chance in the later years at Everton.

Similar kind of signing to Benjani last year really. If he gets a few games he will score a hadnfull of goals but I wouldn't expect him to be able to play regularly. Assuming he is about 33 as well he probably hasnb't got the legs to play up front every week. Would be an OK extra striker but the lack of a top striker puts pressure on him.

Haven't seen a fee but assume it was next to nowt?

Well, despite reservations, he's now wearing our shirt, so welcome Yak.

If we even get 20% of his form before his injury and his obvious fall out with Misery Moyes, then we'll have ourself a match winner.

There is no doubting his pedigree before the above, so, worth the risk and certainly better than kiss a*se Roberts!! I think he'll make an excellent impact player, especially if he gets the wrong side of their defenders, I mean, must be a looooonnng way round his arse to get back at him LOL

Here's to being proven wrong!

I'll happily come back on here and eat s**t loads of humble pie if he notches a few and we stay up as a result.

i think that i recall him coming off the bench for everton a couple of seasons ago against us and popping up with a winner with virtually his first touch. I think he's a 'lucky' type of striker if you get my meaning. Seems to get alot of goals by just loitering around. I'll take some of that.

I do hope he's not on silly money. If we get anything out of him, it'll be a bonus. Having said that, he gets into the team ahead of Jason bloody Roberts for me.

Silly money get a grip, oh just like Andrews eh who was on £25k + give the man the opportunity to actually play for us before you slag him off, really annoys me always on about on previous, how many careers have we resurrected. Everton fans loved him,Moyes fell out with him and he got the cold shoulder, he is now in our shirt give him some respect.

Give the man a chance, Jeez! he hasn't got in his foot in the door and some are ripping him to pieces.

We've resurrected the dead before plenty of time for this one, not even a sign of an egg in the shops. :rolleyes:

maybe late at night and my brain has frozen but who have we signed at 28(lol) after 3 crap seasons and they've come good?

Jeffers.....Oh hell no

Yorke........Oh hell no

dino Baggio......ditto

All the duds we sign on what i've seen just get worse.

Silly money get a grip, oh just like Andrews eh who was on £25k + give the man the opportunity to actually play for us before you slag him off, really annoys me always on about on previous, how many careers have we resurrected. Everton fans loved him,Moyes fell out with him and he got the cold shoulder, he is now in our shirt give him some respect.

Where have I "slagged him off"? Answer: I haven't.

There's a fair amount of risk in this signing, that is why I said I hope he's not on silly money.

I'm not sure how many careers we've resurrected of late, but we've just signed a player who hasn't done anything for two years because of injuries, he joins a squad low on experience with a fair number of crocks already in it.

It's not about respect, it's more a case of concern as to where a regular supply of goals will come from. If ye dinnae score, ye dinnae win.

Does anyone know what the fee for the Yak is?

Taken from Wikipedia, Everton paid over £11m for him and he scored 25 goals in 82 games (just under a goal every three matches). Surely if we create as many chances as we did against Everton he'd be able to bag a decent amount for us.

Maybe I live in hope. But dare I say I'm feeling relieved that we've got him?

£1.5m

Santa cruz had scored a lot less when we signed him. He did ok for us.

Fair enough but a lot of the fans expected a striker to lead the line, a striker of unquestioned ability. Roberts is not good but puts a shift in. Goodwillie is a gamble. Yak is a gamble as he hasn't produced in the top flight for a few years. Slew certainly a gamble. Blackman likewise.

One good signing away from being a top 10 team as far as I see it, if our gambles don't pay off we will be in the bottom 6.

One good signing away from being a top 10 team as far as I see it, if our gambles don't pay off we will be in the bottom 6.

Agree with this:- If you stick a Raul/Cisse/Bent up top for Rovers then we would be a good side. Stick J Jones in midfield and Onouha at right back as well then we would be a very good side indeed. Shame it didn't come to pass. I suppose we just have to wee with the willy we have as a wise philospher once said...

As I see it we are very dependent on Yak and/or Goodwillie making a major impact up front, Petrovic coming good and either Salgado getting up to speed or Riberio/Henley turning out to be decent.

Too many balls in the air for me. COuld get hurt by it.

This isn't scientific, but anyway:

Shane Long: 23 goals in 45 appearance (Championship)

Yakubu: 11 goals in 20 appearances (Championship)

Shane started from the beginning of the season, Yakubu entered during the January window.

Shane is younger but doesn't have the prolific history of the Yak Monster. Nor the EPL experience.

Yak 1.5M - Shane? Was it 7.5M?

This is how I see it. I think Yakubu will bring us the goals we desire and will become an Ewood legend. Also, Leicester fans commented on how Yakubu appeared lazy and unfit.. 11 in 20, lazy and unfit? Sweeet!

edit: Plus he can take a penalty :lol:

WOW that is some statement, After watching all of this season games I am shocked that any Rovers fans thinks we are anyway near the top 10. In the Wolves and Villa games we really had no answer to teams with good football tactics. In fact the the Villa game we were luck it was not a major thumping. Yes we played OK against Everton but Everton are also a poor team.

Coming up we have Fulham away and its almost a must win game. As our games after that are Newc Away, Arsenal Home and then Man City AwayI honestly cant see getting anything from those 3 games.

Why is that because we cant score goals. Signing Danns is great news Samba and Danns should be a wonderful pairing. But Roberts and Yak come one how on earth are these guys going to the goals we need.

I don't expect much for Goodwille as he is new and young.

Also, Leicester fans commented on how Yakubu appeared lazy and unfit.. 11 in 20, lazy and unfit? Sweeet!

Not only do Leicester fans think he is lazy, so do Everton fans.

As someone said sorry I can't remember where the Yak is new Bennie, he is not going to do much work but he will score when he can.

WOW that is some statement, After watching all of this season games I am shocked that any Rovers fans thinks we are anyway near the top 10. Wolves and Villa we really had no answer to teams with good football tactics. In fact the the Villa game we were luck it was not a major thumping. Yes we played OK against Everton but Everton are also a poor team.

Coming up we have Fulham away and its almost a must win game. As our games after that are Newc Away, Arsenal Home and then Man City AwayI honestly cant see getting anything from those 3 games.

Why is that because we cant score goals. Signing Danns is great news Samba and Danns should be a wonderful pairing. But Roberts and Yak come one how on earth are these guys going to the goals we need.

I don't expect much for Goodwille as he is new and young.

Sadly it will be a case of coming back in eight weeks' time and seeing where these hopes have gone.

Your assessment that Fulham is almost a must win is very accurate.

Yak has tended to be an impact player so perhps there is hope even with the plank in charge.

I watched Yakubu play in the preseason for Everton. He looked, for the first time in years, hungry. Not hungry in the sense that he'll eat the football, but hungry for goals. A very good signing for Blackburn. Taking well advantage of Everton's dire financial situation.

Archived