BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Yakubu

Guest TheArtistFormallyKnownAsJB

Probably just that but there were a number of rumours circulating a couple of years back that Yakubu was much older than his passport claimed to be, and nobody knew his exact age.

My Everton supporting mate reckons he's 41!.... :blink:

I recall it was Obafemi Martins who had the suggestions regarding his real age, Never rememeber Yakubu being involved with that

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We finished 10th under Allardyce with only Roberts & Kalinic as our main strikers.

This was in no small part thanks to Dunn's contribution from midfield.

I'd say we're definitely stronger up-front than we were then, and if our midfield prospects can chip in with the goals, and we kept shut at the back, we should be okay.

What about Kanu? Didn't he have an issue regarding his age?

Happens with quite a few Nigerian players. The same rumours say Okocha was 42 when he was at Bolton. The Yakubu thing only came about because of a joke by Moyes - but like he said, why would he make someone his record signing if he thought he was old?

It's nonsense really. If these Nigerian players are 5 years older than they claim, then what were they doing in their careers in their early twenties? It doesn't make much sense. Very, very few level footballers suddenly start a professional career in their mid twenties having had no background in the game.

• Backroom

We finished 10th under Allardyce with only Roberts & Kalinic as our main strikers.

This was in no small part thanks to Dunn's contribution from midfield.

I'd say we're definitely stronger up-front than we were then, and if our midfield prospects can chip in with the goals, and we kept shut at the back, we should be okay.

To be honest Topman, whilst I agree we're stronger at the top end of the field now, I think all that suggests is that if Allardyce was manager now with our current squad we should expect to do better. Kean's overall detrimental impact to our results really can't be emphasised enough.

Probably just that but there were a number of rumours circulating a couple of years back that Yakubu was much older than his passport claimed to be, and nobody knew his exact age.

My Everton supporting mate reckons he's 41!.... :blink:

It's b0llox, the age thing was an issue with Kanu & Martins, since then everyone says it about every single Nigerian players. Same old nonsense!

Because of the weakness of our strikers - something we failed to adequately address - we'll be seeing a lot of Roberts this season. That, coupled with doubts about the quality of the midfield is a big worry for me.

I can't see you being right about Roberts. With Pedersen and Dunn, I think their time has gone. However, they will all get a few games while the new boys bed in.

We didn't manage to get a top-notch recognised striker - the Yak will have to do. We do have a good few options in supporting roles though..........options we didn't have last year:

Formica, Goodwillie, Rochina, Vukcevic alongside veterans like Hoilett and Olsson. Even Petrovic is supposed to chip in with a few.

Digging deep into our (or Venky's?) pockets is not always a guaranteed path to success:

Torres, Santa Cruz, Davies K., Bentley, Grabbi, Luque, Carroll, Schevchenko, Elmander, Veron.

Or Liverpool have a whole team to themselves:

Diouff, Keane, Aquilani, Babel, Riera, Cisse..........etc.

Unlike many it seems, I am looking forward to the next game.

well according to wiki it seems he is 28 will be 29 in november apparently he was born in November 1982 if that is correct and he is only 28 I have to say that is a bargain and also given the fact he is 6ft gives us some height up front after RSC if he can hold the ball up well enough & finish we could have a real bargain and surely he can't be any worse than Brown noser Roberts.

It's b0llox, the age thing was an issue with Kanu & Martins, since then everyone says it about every single Nigerian players. Same old nonsense!

The Kanu and Martins stuff were also nonsense. It all came about,when there were questions raised, about the legitimate age of some of the Nigerian youth players. There were a few players, who were over the age in certain international competitions at youth level. Its quite impressive, if you are supposedly over 40, and signing contract extensions, and still performing at the top without showing signs of fatigue. If the age thing were so important, its easy to check what their correct age is through some form of medical examination.

well according to wiki it seems he is 28 will be 29 in november apparently he was born in November 1982 if that is correct and he is only 28 I have to say that is a bargain and also given the fact he is 6ft gives us some height up front after RSC if he can hold the ball up well enough & finish we could have a real bargain and surely he can't be any worse than Brown noser Roberts.

6ft he may be, does'nt look it, but he' a hefty unit with a snapped achilles so i really don't see him winning too much unless up against the opposition equivilent of salgado.

The Kanu and Martins stuff were also nonsense. It all came about,when there were questions raised, about the legitimate age of some of the Nigerian youth players. There were a few players, who were over the age in certain international competitions at youth level. Its quite impressive, if you are supposedly over 40, and signing contract extensions, and still performing at the top without showing signs of fatigue. If the age thing were so important, its easy to check what their correct age is through some form of medical examination.

X-raying the wrist bones apparently is how they determine the age, was a story not so long ago that this procedure would be carried out at an african U-17 tourny which the ghana team promptly pulled out of. Made me laugh.

Digging deep into our (or Venky's?) pockets is not always a guaranteed path to success:

Torres, Santa Cruz, Davies K., Bentley, Grabbi, Luque, Carroll, Schevchenko, Elmander, Veron.

Or Liverpool have a whole team to themselves:

Diouff, Keane, Aquilani, Babel, Riera, Cisse..........etc.

Unlike many it seems, I am looking forward to the next game.

Blackburn however your right, Grabbi, Davies, Dailly, Kalinic, A Cole all 5.5m or more and only Andy Cole was a success but had no re-sale value. Been disappointing.

I don't think it has put off big clubs spending bg money and having huge success. Most big signings from Chelsea and Man u are successful or if they are not its because other players that cost "as" big money are forcing them out the team.

I can remember Keane scoring an amazing goal for Liverpool and being dropped the next week. Santa cruz never really got a chance and Carroll is being forced out by other expensive stars.

Just get him on a Nintendo Wii Fit Board. Soon find out his age.tongue.gif

:lol:

Does Michael Essien look 28? Does Asamoah Gyan look 25? Sulley Muntari 26? Jon Obi Mikel looks older than 24 to me.

They can't all be lying. Fact is some of the African players have older looking faces. That's all.

To be honest Topman, whilst I agree we're stronger at the top end of the field now, I think all that suggests is that if Allardyce was manager now with our current squad we should expect to do better. Kean's overall detrimental impact to our results really can't be emphasised enough.

Allsy could not use the players we now have effectively. Not having a do, they're simply too lightweight. Bet he'd have loved having dann, petrovic, samba and n'zonzi though.

That's why I emphasised 'should be okay'. With a half-decent manager, we have a team easily capable of surviving in this league and then some. Kean doesn't have any more excuses now. He's had a full pre-season and managed to bring in his own team. There's nowhere left to hide.

• Backroom

:lol:

Does Michael Essien look 28? Does Asamoah Gyan look 25? Sulley Muntari 26? Jon Obi Mikel looks older than 24 to me.

They can't all be lying. Fact is some of the African players have older looking faces. That's all.

Yep and Celtic just signed this 22 year old

Mohamed-Bangura.jpg

Allsy could not use the players we now have effectively. Not having a do, they're simply too lightweight. Bet he'd have loved having dann, petrovic, samba and n'zonzi though.

how to self-contradict in consecutive sentences! did you actually think about what you wanted to post?

Archived