BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Yakubu

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clearly knows where the goal is and how to put a ball in it, but that injury is a bad un. But it appears he was the best we can do, so we gotta hope he still has something left in him, and I hope to see him get a run out at Fulham. If he is finished, then we do have a major problem.

I was a big fan of the Yak a couple of years back when he was netting goals for fun for Everton, but he obviously hasn't done too much in the past couple of seasons. 1.5mil is still a bargain though, and he could either find his best form again or be more useless than Roberts. I'm betting he scores on his debut :D

• Backroom

people need to look at it realistically, and that is, we were never going to spend heaps of money on players. The fact that Venkys are trying to balance the books, and keep the club going is a pretty good sign, even if majority of people do not like it.

Considering it was Venky's and Kean coming out with quotes of a massive budget, champions league, top 8 finish, a cup win this year, marquee signings etc etc, you should probably direct your comments towards them than the majority of people :)

The question that needs answering is:

Yakubu or Roberts?

Roberts is a great guy, would run all day for us, but sadly isn't good enough and never will be, so bringing in Yakubu to replace Roberts makes all the sense in the world to me.

Give the guy a chance.

Yakubu or Roberts?

Roberts is a great guy, would run all day for us, but sadly isn't good enough and never will be, so bringing in Yakubu to replace Roberts makes all the sense in the world to me.

Give the guy a chance.

I feel one will replace the other in most games, so the question for me would be who starts and who comes on after a hour.

Yakubu or Roberts?

Give the guy a chance.

Both of them are paid to scores anything else is irrelevant. If we are luck adding their goals together will equal 10. As good as Dann is the signing of Yak is shocking.

Considering it was Venky's and Kean coming out with quotes of a massive budget, champions league, top 8 finish, a cup win this year, marquee signings etc etc, you should probably direct your comments towards them than the majority of people :)

perhaps yes, but would we have been happy wasting so much money and being in trouble if they pack up and leave is in a mess? its best to be cautious for now, and see where we heading.

Yakubu is a better bet than Ibisevic or El Hamdaoui as he brings with him the experience, and he has scored goals in the PL. I just the Balded Headed Chosen one, selects him, and doesnt use the excuse of he needs time. For goodness sake, we will have 2 weeks to get Yakubu and the rest ready to hit the ground running at Fulham

• Backroom

perhaps yes, but would we have been happy wasting so much money and being in trouble if they pack up and leave is in a mess? its best to be cautious for now, and see where we heading.

I agree completely, however I don't think people can be blamed for having heightened expectations when the owners have come out with such ridiculous statements.

If you assume our owners are liars then it's easy to be rational, but it's not a nice feeling to know we can't trust a single word coming out of the mouth of any of our owners or our "manager".

Both of them are paid to scores anything else is irrelevant. If we are luck adding their goals together will equal 10. As good as Dann is the signing of Yak is shocking.

Sorry Bangkok, but if you watched Roberts week in week out NOT scoring goals, you'd not think the point is irrelevant.

Roberts is ok as an impact player as has been stated on here many times, and to write off Yakubu before he’s even worn the shirt is silly.

Slightly over the top. Clearly scoring goals is the most important thing but to dismiss what else they bring to the team is naive.

If we are going to play one up top, which looks likely with our abundance of hole players and attacking mids then the link up play of the striker and their ability to hold up play is crucial.

Although neither Roberts or the Yak are particularly strong at this element of the game, Jase probably edges it whilst Yak is the far superior finisher.

Signing strikers are really difficult these days. Who should you sign? Lets look at January / Summer transfers and compare:

Darren Bent £24m. Would guarantee goals.

Shane Long £7m. Same record in the championship as Yakubu. No PREM experience.

Crouch £10m. 12 goals in 73 matches for Tottenham since 2009. Not very good is it. Our own Jason Roberts have managed 24 in 126. Which is a better record than Crouch.

Cameron Jerome £4m. 37 in 181 matches. Worse record than Jason Roberts.

Bryan Ruiz. £10.5m. 36 in 61 matches for FC Twente which is the Eresdivisie. 9 in 43 for the national team. Huge gamble for this sort of money and he can either be a Luis Suarez or a Afonso Alves or Mateja Kezman.

Demba Ba. Free. Could be shrewd business. 7 in 12 for West Ham a struggling side least season. However he did fail the medical for Stoke City.

Aguero. £38m. Goal guarantee.

David Ngog. £4m 9 in 61 matches. Almost same record as Jason Roberts.

Yakubu. £1.5m PREM Experience. 11 in 20 in the championship. 25 in 82 for Everton. Double of Cameron Jerome and Crouch and comes with prem experience.

Its difficult to tell, but either way a striker would represent a huge gamble if you not splash out £20m.

Great post. You've genuinely made me more positive about Yakubu there. In comparison to the others you mention he's up there in the top 3 signings.

I agree completely, however I don't think people can be blamed for having heightened expectations when the owners have come out with such ridiculous statements.

If you assume our owners are liars then it's easy to be rational, but it's not a nice feeling to know we can't trust a single word coming out of the mouth of any of our owners or our "manager".

cant argue with that tbh, and it’s a shame it got to a point ( I know, its been like this since they took over) where the fans have lost faith in the owners. On the other hand, we have spent money on players, which had we not been taken over, we would have been really struggling to bring any players in. Players like Dann would never have been bought, and could easily then been forced into to selling Samba, Hoilett and Olsson. So while there has been this shadow cast over Rovers, if we can just somehow get some points on the board, get some sort of momentum going, then im almost certain, that we will rapidly move up the table.

Great post. You've genuinely made me more positive about Yakubu there. In comparison to the others you mention he's up there in the top 3 signings.

That's because he cherry picked names that suit his point. What about Portuguese International Sa who went to Fulham on a free or DJ Campbell (proven PL player) who went to QPR for £1.2m? What about Adebayor who went free on loan (and don't say he wouldn't have come to us as nor would Aguero in his original post) or Niklas Bentdner who went to Sunderland for the season. What about Leroy Lita (again has a good PL record) who moved this window. That's just a few he's missed this window let alone the last.

I'm not saying they're all better than the Yak, the point I'm making is if you're going to draw up a comparative list make sure it's a complete one.

That's because he cherry picked names that suit his point. What about Portuguese International Sa who went to Fulham on a free or DJ Campbell (proven PL player) who went to QPR for £1.2m? What about Adebayor who went free on loan (and don't say he wouldn't have come to us as nor would Aguero in his original post) or Niklas Bentdner who went to Sunderland for the season. What about Leroy Lita (again has a good PL record) who moved this window. That's just a few he's missed this window let alone the last.

I'm not saying they're all better than the Yak, the point I'm making is if you're going to draw up a comparative list make sure it's a complete one.

The Portuguese player is unproven in the Prem, Adebayor and Bendtner would both never have come near us (this is relevant as we're comparing who could do a job for us, the Aguero and Bent comparisons are to show what you HAVE to spend to get guaranteed goals), and DJ Campbell is OK but has nowhere near the record of Yakubu. Leroy Lita has scored 8 Premier League goals in his career.

I'm unbiased on this and would be willing to admit if you had a decent counter arguement, but the above aint it.

The Portuguese player is unproven in the Prem, Adebayor and Bendtner would both never have come near us (this is relevant as we're comparing who could do a job for us, the Aguero and Bent comparisons are to show what you HAVE to spend to get guaranteed goals), and DJ Campbell is OK but has nowhere near the record of Yakubu. Leroy Lita has scored 8 Premier League goals in his career.

I'm unbiased on this and would be willing to admit if you had a decent counter arguement, but the above aint it.

You've missed the point, it wasn't a 'counter arguement' [sic] but a criticism of his methodology.

You've missed the point, it wasn't a 'counter arguement' [sic] but a criticism of his methodology.

It's not very practical to list every single striker signed over the summer window. There was a good mix in his post, enough to make a relevant point.

I don't think adding the likes of Adebayor, Lita, Campbell etc would have altered it.

You've criticised his methods by saying that he's left out other relevant strikers, then attempted to prove it by naming 4 irrelevant strikers.

Archived