BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Guardian: 'Venky's Planned R&B Concert for Rovers Fans'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/dec/01/venkys-blackburn-free-concerts?CMP=twt_gu

As the title says. Got this in a tweet earlier. Even more pie-in-the-sky embarrassment to deal with.

For the record, it'd take a lot more than Akon and Kelly Rowland "singing" to sort me out.

A night with Rihanna, however... ;)

I laughed more at an article in the 'related' section...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/nov/26/blackburn-rovers-sam-allardyce?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

'Blackburn's new owners have offered their full support to the manager, Sam Allardyce, and confirmed they will be giving him funds to improve the squad in January.

The Indian company Venky's completed their purchase of the Ewood Park outfit for £23m last week.

The poultry giant, owned by the Rao family, have bought the 99.9% shareholding of the Jack Walker Trust, which has run the club since the death of their former benefactor a decade ago. They have given their backing to Allardyce, whose team are 11th in the Premier League.

"We want results and Sam has taken up the challenge. He deserves a chance," Venky's chairman, Anuradha Desai, said. "Most of the time the team has been between eighth and 10th in the rankings. Only once it went out of the league.

"With the right motivation I feel they can go higher than eighth. Who is to say they cannot do better than that, say fifth or sixth position, why not?

"To this end the group have promised manager Allardyce funds to spend in the January transfer window.

"Some money has been put aside in improving the health of the club," she revealed, adding that they are "looking at a striker" but refused to provide further information.

Allardyce himself has admitted he would be keen to bring the former Rovers striker Roque Santa Cruz back to Ewood Park from Manchester City.

Under Walker's ownership the club reached the top flight and won the then Premiership in 1995 and Venky's are looking to continue his legacy while exploring all commercial avenues.

"We were looking at football clubs for ownership as a majority holder. We did not want to be a sleeping partner. When our agency brought this proposal we could draw parallels between the Jack Walker legacy and our traditional business.

"Blackburn itself is a big brand. In my opinion it has not been exposed and can grow leaps and bounds. We are looking for sponsors and may add a prefix or suffix for Ewood Park but we will not change any names. We would never want to upset the fans." '

I laughed more at an article in the 'related' section...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/nov/26/blackburn-rovers-sam-allardyce?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

'Blackburn's new owners have offered their full support to the manager, Sam Allardyce, and confirmed they will be giving him funds to improve the squad in January.

The Indian company Venky's completed their purchase of the Ewood Park outfit for £23m last week.

The poultry giant, owned by the Rao family, have bought the 99.9% shareholding of the Jack Walker Trust, which has run the club since the death of their former benefactor a decade ago. They have given their backing to Allardyce, whose team are 11th in the Premier League.

"We want results and Sam has taken up the challenge. He deserves a chance," Venky's chairman, Anuradha Desai, said. "Most of the time the team has been between eighth and 10th in the rankings. Only once it went out of the league.

"With the right motivation I feel they can go higher than eighth. Who is to say they cannot do better than that, say fifth or sixth position, why not?

"To this end the group have promised manager Allardyce funds to spend in the January transfer window.

"Some money has been put aside in improving the health of the club," she revealed, adding that they are "looking at a striker" but refused to provide further information.

Allardyce himself has admitted he would be keen to bring the former Rovers striker Roque Santa Cruz back to Ewood Park from Manchester City.

Under Walker's ownership the club reached the top flight and won the then Premiership in 1995 and Venky's are looking to continue his legacy while exploring all commercial avenues.

"We were looking at football clubs for ownership as a majority holder. We did not want to be a sleeping partner. When our agency brought this proposal we could draw parallels between the Jack Walker legacy and our traditional business.

"Blackburn itself is a big brand. In my opinion it has not been exposed and can grow leaps and bounds. We are looking for sponsors and may add a prefix or suffix for Ewood Park but we will not change any names. We would never want to upset the fans." '

grim!

Archived