BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brad Friedel

colin

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So to be a great player you must have played for a great team? Pele will be gutted.

Don't get that one ? Brazil ( 3 time World Champs in 12 years ), Santos ( World Club Champs several times ) in his time. How great does the team have to be ? Maybe it's me, that Furstenberg must be stronger than I thought !

Don't get that one ? Brazil ( 3 time World Champs in 12 years ), Santos ( World Club Champs several times ) in his time. How great does the team have to be ? Maybe it's me, that Furstenberg must be stronger than I thought !

Santos are no bodies in comparsion to a barca, United etc. PS pele never won the world club cup, it didn't exsist back then. Oh and if you want to bring up brazil then that's akin to saying place of birth dictates greatestness.

Santos are no bodies in comparsion to a barca, United etc. PS pele never won the world club cup, it didn't exsist back then. Oh and if you want to bring up brazil then that's akin to saying place of birth dictates greatestness.

It did, it was called the intercontinental cup then re-branded. They won it a couple of times, don't know when but it was definitely when your man Pele played for them.

The Brazilian league was different back then.....all the best Brazilians played there.....and there are always lots of good Brazilian footballers.

Yeah that's right, Friedel good, Schmeichel great, Banks the greatest. He made the best save In football history but maybe that doesn't count either. Maybe you never got to see it in Denmark.

brad an all time great because of 1 world cup, schillaci an all time great because of 1 world cup and now gordons banks the greates ever because of 1 save. You havent got the slightest idea of the concept all time great. Gordon abnks is an alltime great though, but not because of 1 save, but because of his whole career.

Santos were nobodies ??? You're having a laugh there matey. Real Madrid in the 1950's and 60's were arguably the best European club side there's ever been and Santos beat them easily in the World Club Championship finals, home and away games then. Off to work now but I'll give you the stats later. Greco, having a discussion with you is like plaiting sawdust as we say over here.

It did, it was called the intercontinental cup then re-branded. They won it a couple of times, don't know when but it was definitely when your man Pele played for them.

No it didn't the club world cup encompasses the globe, the intercontinental cup, south america and europe. Facts.

The Brazilian league was different back then.....all the best Brazilians played there.....and there are always lots of good Brazilian footballers.

Ah yet more variables and complexity. Simplicity Pele was great because of his ability, Brad the same. If you want to start adding in variables and mentioning world cups as has been done I'll bring up Messi, he's done didly squat with argentina, but you all consider him great. Where does Shearer fit in your world, he played for nobodies as well.

Santos were nobodies ??? You're having a laugh there matey. Real Madrid in the 1950's and 60's were arguably the best European club side there's ever been and Santos beat them easily in the World Club Championship finals, home and away games then. Off to work now but I'll give you the stats later. Greco, having a discussion with you is like plaiting sawdust as we say over here.

So now we're considering the era? Yet more stupid variables when only one matters, ability.

PS just so you know Wiki doesn't have Santos playing Real Madrid in the intercontinetal cup and winning it, Benfica, Milan and Inter but as far can be read Madrid withdrew in 1968. All the big teams, tried to sign him, everyone knows that and he was declared a national treasure. Hey ho you go round telling that being a great club depends on whats going on at that moment and I'll tell that's not greatness as greatness stands the test of time.

Schemichel is considered a great because he was truely a class act and without him United probably would not have had the complete backbone of a team to exhert their dominance on English football, its no secret that since he left they have only been dominant with Van Der Sar performing week in week out.

Brad for us was worth 3 or 4 places in the league table a season such was his consistancy, I personally think he should have left sooner and gone on to better things, the guy is that good I dont think anyone could have begrudged him a shot at one of Europes top teams (Id include Barca in that sentiment). I can only think of two errors in his entire time here but can think of performance after performance between the sticks.

Somebody mentioned Liverpool and pressure, the guy was very young for a top quality goalkeeper then and moreso was at a club in decline which has a history of fans with a blame culture and delusions that they have a right to be the best. You have to remember Liverpool went through Keeper after keeper at that time, the second one made a mistake he was denounced as kean and people were practically willing them to make more. Thing is I fell for the hype that he was a bit kean and I dont think Id ever be more wrong regarding a player again.

I think all time greats have to play for top teams. Friedel should be in the top 3 in Premier League history, but few would put him in the top 10 because of him making his name with us when we were a relatively poor side.

Rather a contradiction cos they don't have as much to do as keepers playing for poorer teams.

Correct ... but that is present day. In the 60's they were top drawer. It's also fair to point out that in the 60's Man utd were the nobodies.

No it didn't the club world cup encompasses the globe, the intercontinental cup, south america and europe. Facts.

Ah yet more variables and complexity. Simplicity Pele was great because of his ability, Brad the same. If you want to start adding in variables and mentioning world cups as has been done I'll bring up Messi, he's done didly squat with argentina, but you all consider him great. Where does Shearer fit in your world, he played for nobodies as well.

So now we're considering the era? Yet more stupid variables when only one matters, ability.

PS just so you know Wiki doesn't have Santos playing Real Madrid in the intercontinetal cup and winning it, Benfica, Milan and Inter but as far can be read Madrid withdrew in 1968. All the big teams, tried to sign him, everyone knows that and he was declared a national treasure. Hey ho you go round telling that being a great club depends on whats going on at that moment and I'll tell that's not greatness as greatness stands the test of time.

I don't like wiki Majiball but seeing as you are championing it here goes:

"The FIFA Club World Cup is a football competition between the champion clubs from all six continental confederations.

The first FIFA Club World Championship took place in Brazil in January 2000. It ran in parallel with its equivalent Intercontinental Cup, contested annually since 1960 by the winners of the UEFA Champions League and the South American Copa Libertadores. Until the institution of the new competition, Intercontinental Cup holders were recognised de facto as world club champions. In 2005, FIFA Club World Championship absorbed the Intercontinental Cup and in 2006 took its current name (FIFA Club World Cup)."

It isn't my arguement that great players have to play for great teams, I agree, greatness should be deemed on an individual's basis regardless of the team they play in. My statement was that great players are only deemed great IF they play for top team (usually by blinkered supporters of top teams) - I'm struggling to think of any exceptions. Hence the reason for me stating that Friedel is and should be classes as a great player.

Rather a contradiction cos they don't have as much to do as keepers playing for poorer teams.

Correct ... but that is present day. In the 60's they were top drawer. It's also fair to point out that in the 60's Man utd were the nobodies.

That's not the point I'm making Gordon. It's just a very badly worded statement - I mean that people only deem players to be great if they play for top teams.

Nonsense. Post-Munich 1958 United had become a national cause. Post-1968 and the Best/Charlton era, they were nearly everybody's second favourite club.

Just to get back to Santos for a minute. At the time Pele was in his prime they were one of if not the outstanding club in the World. They were the first club to retain the " World Club Cup " after beating AC Milan in 1963. The had beaten Benfica the previous year 1962, by 3-2 in Rio and 5-2 in Lisbon. That's the Benfica that battered the might of Real Madrid 5-3 in the previous European final. The cup was played for by the winners of the European Cup in Europe and the winners of the Copa Libertadores in South America. I think the measure of Santos's stature at the time is they managed to hold on to the greatest player of all time throughout his effective international playing career when every club in the World would have loved to sign him. Also they were without doubt the No1 drawing card all over the World for friendlies through out that period.

Sorry about my slip up re them hammering Madrid it was obviously Benfica I had in mind. Furstenberg's a great lager but it plays havoc with the old grey matter.

I don't like wiki Majiball but seeing as you are championing it here goes:

"The FIFA Club World Cup is a football competition between the champion clubs from all six continental confederations.

The first FIFA Club World Championship took place in Brazil in January 2000. It ran in parallel with its equivalent Intercontinental Cup, contested annually since 1960 by the winners of the UEFA Champions League and the South American Copa Libertadores. Until the institution of the new competition, Intercontinental Cup holders were recognised de facto as world club champions. In 2005, FIFA Club World Championship absorbed the Intercontinental Cup and in 2006 took its current name (FIFA Club World Cup)."

It isn't my arguement that great players have to play for great teams, I agree, greatness should be deemed on an individual's basis regardless of the team they play in. My statement was that great players are only deemed great IF they play for top team (usually by blinkered supporters of top teams) - I'm struggling to think of any exceptions. Hence the reason for me stating that Friedel is and should be classes as a great player.

That's not the point I'm making Gordon. It's just a very badly worded statement - I mean that people only deem players to be great if they play for top teams.

So you deem a competition only between south america and europe a world competition? I know next world cup lets drop of north america, africa and asia as they never do well anyway. I used wiki to point out that real madrid never played pele competitively in the competition you claimed exsisted, this i remember froma discussion with my uncle many moons ago. You can claim de facto from wiki all you want but if the worlds not in it, it ain't no world championship.

If you agree have the strength of your convictions and stand there, don't voice anothers opinion like the pic I posted.

PS I don't champion wiki, and you should listen to the below:

So, to sum up todays posts. Self-appointed spokesmen (who appear to struggle with criticism) are sulking and up in arms because someone else has texted Singh and they don't like an opinion that differs from theirs - no matter how valid it is.

Practice preach Pedro.

I make a living dealing with and proving facts, you obviously struggle with them as proven by your I'm with you but everyone else says comments.

Archived