BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brad Friedel

colin

• Backroom

Not even close, Toppers. Players like Toogs, Bentley, RSC, Benni McDonalds, Samba, Nelsen have all had their moments and some have been very good for us for long periods... but none had the consistency and ability to save us points as Friedel did. We were lucky to have him at our club for such a long period.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite simply the best that I have seen in 50 years. If Roger Jones had been as good as the misty eyed romantics claim he wouldn't have played for us for so long.

I've a feeling Levy had a hand in this matter. Brad has been in top form on the spurs matches that I have seen this season so no doubt keeping a 12m keeper on the bench because a 43 year old is better reflects poorly on the Spurs heirarchy.

I agree with that. Roger Jones was good but Brad was something else. In that World Cup held in Japan/Korea Brad was the best in the World.

My mates used to constantly shoot me down for championing Super Brad. They would never have it that he was one of the PL's best.

When he signed for Spurs, i told my mates who support Spurs that he was class and despite his age, would be great keeper for them. They laughed, alot.

Now they are sheepishly crawling back and saying that he is indeed a great keeper, even at his age.

• Backroom

For the PL's best keeper, it's Scmeichel all the way. But after that? Friedel is certainly up there for 2nd place. But if he had been at Utd, we'd be saying 'Schmeichel who?' :P

My mates used to constantly shoot me down for championing Super Brad. They would never have it that he was one of the PL's best.

When he signed for Spurs, i told my mates who support Spurs that he was class and despite his age, would be great keeper for them. They laughed, alot.

Now they are sheepishly crawling back and saying that he is indeed a great keeper, even at his age.

Categorised in the bible ......... 'They have eyes but cannot see'.

• Backroom

So Brads better but Schmeichel played for United so he wins?

As is the way in English football, yes. Tugay's wonder volley against Tottenham got a brief mention and even a GoalOfTheMonth nomination on MOTD, but Scholes' effort (very similar goal) against West Ham the next month has pundits buying new underwear and they refused to shut up about it.

And how many pundits have pointed out that Rooney's Goal of The Season overhead kick was shinned in? ;)

• Backroom

So because others tell you that's how it is you follow them?

4737304_black_and_white_sheep-600.jpg

Brad stands tall as the best keeper in the premier league for me easily, not even Seaman made it to 43 and keeping one of the supposedly best keepers in Europe on the bench.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you. My Schmeichel comments were deliberately cynical.

I must admit, that when friedel arrived from liverpool, i thought he seemed insecure and iirc he had made some serious mistakes there. As he settled in and his confidence grew, he certainly proved me wrong and then some. Fantastic signing and a great gk.

with that being said...

schmeichel tops friedel en every department except aging with grace. schmeichel might have been able to perform, but he was never satisfied with just that. I´ve never seen a better keeper then schmeichel, height, strength, reflexes, command of area, shotstopping, organising his defence and an amazing will to win. We would never have come close to winning the 92 euro´s if it wasnt for him. schmeichel is an all time great, friedel doesnt fall into that category. No shame in that though.

• Backroom

I think it's very difficult to compare Schmeichel and Friedel because of the respective clubs they gained success at. Being a goalkeeper at Blackburn Rovers during the time Brad was with us is massively different to being the goalkeeper of Manchester United when Schmeichel was there.

Two amazing keepers, regardless.

I must admit, that when friedel arrived from liverpool, i thought he seemed insecure and iirc he had made some serious mistakes there. As he settled in and his confidence grew, he certainly proved me wrong and then some. Fantastic signing and a great gk.

with that being said...

schmeichel tops friedel en every department except aging with grace. schmeichel might have been able to perform, but he was never satisfied with just that. I´ve never seen a better keeper then schmeichel, height, strength, reflexes, command of area, shotstopping, organising his defence and an amazing will to win. We would never have come close to winning the 92 euro´s if it wasnt for him. schmeichel is an all time great, friedel doesnt fall into that category. No shame in that though.

I'd say that if you were voted the best goal keeper at a World Cup you are entitled to be considered an all time great. I also think Smeichel was better but he never gained that accolade.

And how many pundits have pointed out that Rooney's Goal of The Season overhead kick was shinned in? ;)

It wasn't even the best goal that season (Bale against Stoke) yet it's made out to be the best ever goal scored in the premier league (Bergkamp against Newcastle).

Friedel or Schmeichel??? I'd probably go with Schmeichel but it's incredibly close.....the thing is Friedel would have played better (due to the defence in front of him) at Utd whereas Schmeichel wouldn't have played as well with us.

I was suprised that none of the top clubs came in for him whilst he was playing for us. It was obvious he was a top player even heading towards his 40's. Arsenal have struggled for as long as I can remember in that department and United have had their moments as well before and after Van De Sar. One of my favourite all time Rovers players, great role model, professional and ambassador for the game. I would not have swapped him for anyone, including Shmeichel.

• Backroom

If Joe Hart made some of the saves Friedel did here you would never hear the end of it

Everytime Hart makes a decent save its elevated so much

It's just the medias way

Friedels performances agaisnt arsenal one year and agaisnt spurs in the final were ridiculous

• Backroom

If Joe Hart made some of the saves Friedel did here you would never hear the end of it

Everytime Hart makes a decent save its elevated so much

It's just the medias way

Friedels performances agaisnt arsenal one year and agaisnt spurs in the final were ridiculous

That Spurs final (there live) was the best performance from a goalkeeper I've seen (live or on telly) and I doubt that will change any time soon. Maybe calling him the best is a little arrogant of us. But there's no doubt he was (and still is) 'one of' the best.

I'd say that if you were voted the best goal keeper at a World Cup you are entitled to be considered an all time great. I also think Smeichel was better but he never gained that accolade.

It takes so much more then that TS. A world cup is simply too short, to be considered enough. Schmeichel was awarded with the title as the worlds best goalkeeper for 2 straight seasons, thats the kind of consistency thats needed, to be considered an all time great. If we go by your standards, then salvatore schillaci should be named as an all time great striker, as he actually achieved the same honour, but i think we both know, that schillaci doesnt fit into that category.;)

I was suprised that none of the top clubs came in for him whilst he was playing for us. It was obvious he was a top player even heading towards his 40's. Arsenal have struggled for as long as I can remember in that department and United have had their moments as well before and after Van De Sar. One of my favourite all time Rovers players, great role model, professional and ambassador for the game. I would not have swapped him for anyone, including Shmeichel.

I have it on good information that the deal was very nearly done for him to go to Utd after that World Cup in Japan/Korea but it fell through. Why It it didn't actually go through I don't know. The information was from a weathy United fan who was close friend and neighbour of Brads at that time. The neighbour was cock-a-hoop at the thought of Brad going to Old Trafford.

It takes so much more then that TS. A world cup is simply too short, to be considered enough. Schmeichel was awarded with the title as the worlds best goalkeeper for 2 straight seasons, thats the kind of consistency thats needed, to be considered an all time great. If we go by your standards, then salvatore schillaci should be named as an all time great striker, as he actually achieved the same honour, but i think we both know, that schillaci doesnt fit into that category.;)

They probably wouldn't agree with you in Italy !

It takes so much more then that TS. A world cup is simply too short, to be considered enough. Schmeichel was awarded with the title as the worlds best goalkeeper for 2 straight seasons, thats the kind of consistency thats needed, to be considered an all time great. If we go by your standards, then salvatore schillaci should be named as an all time great striker, as he actually achieved the same honour, but i think we both know, that schillaci doesnt fit into that category. ;)

I think all time greats have to play for top teams. Friedel should be in the top 3 in Premier League history, but few would put him in the top 10 because of him making his name with us when we were a relatively poor side.

I think all time greats have to play for top teams. Friedel should be in the top 3 in Premier League history, but few would put him in the top 10 because of him making his name with us when we were a relatively poor side.

Yet, ironically, that means Friedel will have performed AGAINST the PL's finest strikers.

Yet, ironically, that means Friedel will have performed AGAINST the PL's finest strikers.

Totally agree mate...and behind a poor defence. The guy was bombarded at times and he was close to becoming superhuman.

They probably wouldn't agree with you in Italy !

yeah you are right, 16 international caps and 7 goals, what an all time great.!

agreed about the big club thing. I actually wouldnt know where to put friedel on such a list, if we are looking at the last 2 decades.

Friedels time at liverpool, imo showed he didnt cope well with the pressure, that a big club gk recieves. Schmeichel on the other hand loved that. The big clubs have the best players, otherwise they wouldnt the big clubs. Friedel good, schmeichel great. :D

Archived