BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Sunderland Preview

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm unaware of how good he'd be with coaching the team in attacking positions. Maybe he'd be good at that too, but it would appear that his main contribution thus far has been defensive and Kean has us performing well in attack all season.

Black played as a striker.

Black played as a striker.

Doesn't necessarily mean he'd make any better an attacking coach than Kean.

Hughes was an attacker and he mastered our defence when he first came. Playing career positions aren't everything.

Eric Black was a big raw boned centre forward for Aberdeen under Ferguson and I think he scored against Madrid in the Cup Winners Cup final.

There has been an upturn in results since he arrived and there was a discernible improvement in performances whilst Paul Clement was with us. I think it's a bit churlish not to acknowledge that Kean is learning on the job and starting to do ok.

I find that putting phillipl on ignore makes this forum far more enjoyable DMTP.

Slightly off-topic but there's no need starting a new thread for it and it sort of relates to the game.

I have come to the conclusion that we have the worst/laziest ball boys in World Football. They don't run for the ball, they leave the ball for players to retrieve even if they are sat 10 yards away from the ball. Instead of using 16-17 year olds from the youth set-up or whoever they are why can't they use kids that actually want to be there? kids from the 15 and under teams. It really doesn't make sense.

Rant over.

Traditional centre forward for Aberdeen under Fergy if my memory serves me correctly Fife.

You're right again Theno.Eric Black was CF for the great Aberdeen team of the early '80s. In fact for two or three seasons Aberdeen and Dundee Utd were known in Scotland as the "New Firm" as both these clubs took the Scottish League championship away from the "Old Firm" Rangers and Celtic. Unfortunately it was not to last, and the rot set in again when Fergie was tempted away to manage Man Utd.

You're right again Theno.Eric Black was CF for the great Aberdeen team of the early '80s. In fact for two or three seasons Aberdeen and Dundee Utd were known in Scotland as the "New Firm" as both these clubs took the Scottish League championship away from the "Old Firm" Rangers and Celtic. Unfortunately it was not to last, and the rot set in again when Fergie was tempted away to manage Man Utd.

Indeed, Aberdeen in the 80's was Scotland's answer to Dallas without Pammy and Swellin.

No doubt a re-alignment of finance helped Rangers and Celtic to re-address the balance to their advantage. Nice to see them in so much trouble now. Personally I would love to see the Glasgow clubs sink into a cess pit of debt for an entire generation at least. I doubt it will happen but it would allow Scottish football to re invent itself into a more healthy entity. In fact once thats done then the entire football supporting continent of Europe would be better served by following suit.

Maybe naive to say but supporters should be before the nouveau riche money men every time (btw anybody noticed that the more dignified 'old' money is nowhere to be seen around football boardrooms? When the money men disappear the supporters will still be there but if the supporters go no one will see the billionaires and the assorted camp followers for dust. Unfortunately there is the rub.... supporters will put up with all manner of crap. It's blood always being thicker than water scenario that is being preyed upon.

Indeed, Aberdeen in the 80's was Scotland's answer to Dallas without Pammy and Swellin.

No doubt a re-alignment of finance helped Rangers and Celtic to re-address the balance to their advantage. Nice to see them in so much trouble now. Personally I would love to see the Glasgow clubs sink into a cess pit of debt for an entire generation at least. I doubt it will happen but it would allow Scottish football to re invent itself into a more healthy entity. In fact once thats done then the entire football supporting continent of Europe would be better served by following suit.

Maybe naive to say but supporters should be before the nouveau riche money men every time (btw anybody noticed that the more dignified 'old' money is nowhere to be seen around football boardrooms? When the money men disappear the supporters will still be there but if the supporters go no one will see the billionaires and the assorted camp followers for dust. Unfortunately there is the rub.... supporters will put up with all manner of crap. It's blood always being thicker than water scenario that is being preyed upon.

I have a lot of sympathy with this. When it comes to making the Scottish league more competitive you would have to completely change the mindset of the Scottish (and Irish) people, and the best of luck with whoever attempts that! If you think East lancashire is bad for folk travelling to Manchester and Liverpool to support the 'bigger' clubs, you want to see the coach loads of Old Firm fans exiting the Motherwells and Paisleys of this world whenever one of the big two are playing. Even with Motherwell on the brink of Champions League football, they are lucky to muster 5000 at home games. Home games against either of the Old Firm include handing over large sections of your ground to them. Bloody awful set up.

He also got the best out of Bellamy, Santa Cruz and McCarthy...

His greatest achievement was David Bentley. His career as a terminal loser was punctuated with a 17m transfer, lauded widely as the new Beckham and a few England caps into the deal, and all down to Hughes and BRFC.

Archived