BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Real Ale

As you know I am a traditional beer drinker but yesterday afternoon whilst it was hot we were having a drink in the garden with some friends and I tried a Stella Cidre with ice and it was surprisingly good and refreshing. It's not going to take the place of bitter but I did enjoy trying one of the current fad of drinking. Fair do'es where they are deserved.

As you said, it was hot. We'll put that down to the heat got to you ^_^ I must admit, I can drink that crabbies, with ice and lemon (on a hot day) I have just been asked to pick the beers for our clubs Real Ale festival. I was chuffed, until they limited it to 15. But as it is only a small RAF club, 15 would have to be the limit.

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a nice beer today from Leeds Brewry called MIDNIGHT BELL 4.8%. Not too weak or strong. what I call an old fashion, northern dark beer.

Leeds brewary do some decent stuff. Leeds pale is a really decent session beer.

Thanks hope to try it very soon. Though I think I may have already tried it. About 3.8% and very simular to HOPHEAD, by DARK STAR if I remember. I like Pale Ales, current favorite being AMERICAN PALE ALE by DARK STAR brewry. My club had an interesting beer recently called CITRA 4.2% by OAKHAM ALES

Any ideas where to get a good mix case form ? the only ones I can find seem to be a tad expensive

Better off going to a supermarket and make up your own case. Not often I buy bottles these days as I have cut down drinking at home. But when I did buy bottles, Tescos used to get some decent beers in. About £2 a bottle, average ABV about 5.2%.

Better off going to a supermarket and make up your own case. Not often I buy bottles these days as I have cut down drinking at home. But when I did buy bottles, Tescos used to get some decent beers in. About £2 a bottle, average ABV about 5.2%.

Not keen on bottled ale. Makes it too fizzy. The only way is on draught. Having said that Boddies with a widget is acceptable if you must drink at home.

Any ideas where to get a good mix case form ? the only ones I can find seem to be a tad expensive

Booths supermarkets are very good on bottled real ale. Where some supermarkets dedicate a shelf or two, Booths often devote half an aisle. I do like Badger beers in a bottle (apart from 'Blandford Flyer'). Golden Glory is particularly good.

B&M Bargains, near the ice hockey stadium, has a decent shelf of bottle conditioned ales - cheap too.

It's not as good as Morrison's, but cheaper and miles better than what Tesco and ASDA have on their shelves. I was quite disappointed with these two supermarkets selection.

Not keen on bottled ale. Makes it too fizzy. The only way is on draught. Having said that Boddies with a widget is acceptable if you must drink at home.

I agree. But if somebody wants to drink it that way!!! Not my choice, but

• 4 weeks later...

Just had a decent dark beer in our club this afternoon BLACK BEAUTY 4.3% by VALE BREWING.

We considered reordering for our beer festival next week. But decided to keep it for ourselves, when the festival is over.

I am curious to know if any on here have tried the following beers and their opinions on them.

Trinity 3% - by redemption brewing

Aramis 3.9% - by Malinsons brewing

Sadlers 4% - by Red House

Sunrise 4.4% - by Bristol beer Factory

Ginger 4.5% - by marble

Kraftwerk 4.5% by Revolution

Double espresso wild oat 4.8% - Traditional scottish ales

Fathomless 5.2% - Redwillow

Red IPA 5.2% - Ascot ales

Ardennes 5.8% - Dark Star

Hop priest 6.5% - Stringers

Diable 6.6% - Summer wine brewry

Ageless 7.2% - Redwillow

Baltic Trader Imperial Stout 10.5% - green Jack Brewery

Ah ha!! I stayed in York last night - a city I've loved for 36 years and I think has the best real pubs in the country. Went in The Old Ebor and had a very fine pint of Leeds PA followed by another of Rooster's YPA also excellent.

Fosters Gold is very nice for a cheap bottled larger, follows the current trend with the big lager brands of having a premium version(better taste quality,slightly less alcholol).

It's still ###### though! I had a taste on Saturday.

I had some really nice ales in Brighton last week. If you're ever down pop into The Evening Star just round the corner from the station, and try any of the Dark Star ales. Really good stuff and a cracking pub too.

OhmiBRFC,

I've done some beer in my time. Keep everything clean and sterilised before you start and if you are bottling it don't overload the priming sugar in the bottles or you'll end up with exploding bottles and/or beer that comes out like Vesuvius. Otherwise happy brewing.

It's still ###### though! I had a taste on Saturday.

I had some really nice ales in Brighton last week. If you're ever down pop into The Evening Star just round the corner from the station, and try any of the Dark Star ales. Really good stuff and a cracking pub too.

Dark Star one of my favorite brewing companies. Good pub is the The Evening star. Hophead, American Pale ale. I live only an hour away, worth the trip.

If any social club etc needs to make money. I suggest doing a beer festival. We have just had one at my club, over this last weekend, Fri - sun. We made in 3 days what would normally take about 3 weeks to make. I was lucky to be able to help from initial plan, to organising, to collecting glasses, to bar work. But it is not just about the money. Met some very nice folk. Knackering, but brilliant fun. If you have never helped out at a beer festival, give it ago. CAMRA are always looking for folk to volunter help. Also you get a chance to drink the beer as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone like a nice strongish beer. Try AGELESS by REDWILLOW 7.2%. Very nice. Redwillow also do one made with oysters called FATHOMLESS 5.2%. Redwillow are based in maccelsfield

or a coffee tasting beer by TSA DOUBLE EXPRESSO WILD OAT STOUT 5.2%

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I find Jaipur is massively over rated, but it always sells well where I drink, so what to I know.

I'm currently rather a fan of Red Williows Wreckless and some of the Faithless I've tried XIII and XIV I think.

The single nicest thing I've had in years (although it's hard to get in the UK) is Guiness Special Export ... which tastes nothing like Guiness.

BTW If you're ever in Leeds, I can heartily recommend Mr Foleys(pub) and Beer Ritz (off licence), both have awesome staff who will happily make suggestions based on what you like.

If you like redwillow, try AGELESS. Very nice. We had it on our clubs beer festival. for some reason I forgot what the abv was. After the festival, it came up on the bar. One lunch time I had a few pints of it, others bought me a few pints of it. I thought this was strong for a 4%. It wasn't 4% it was 7.2% - cancelled the rest of the day and just drank.

Both Wreckless and faithless good beers.

Two beers you may want to try are AMARILLO by Crouch Vale and LEMON DREAM by Salopian. tried these at the eastbourne beer festival last weekend.

Eastbourne beer festival is very very good. I both worked on it and 'participated' in it. Planning for next year already date comfirmed as 10th to 12th october 2013.

Archived