BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Real Ale

• Backroom

Enjoyed a bottle of 'Spitfire' last night. Only just got into my real ales. Enjoyed Thwaites Smooth, Abbott's, Hobgoblin, Boddingtons and Guinness. Not so keen on john smith tho. Bit boring.

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enjoyed a bottle of 'Spitfire' last night. Only just got into my real ales. Enjoyed Thwaites Smooth, Abbott's, Hobgoblin, Boddingtons and Guinness. Not so keen on john smith tho. Bit boring.

Personally I do not like spitfire or any other shepherd neeme beers. Though spitfire was one of my first ale beers. then i found it ok, as I knew no better. But there will always be a beer you won't like. But that is the beauty of ale drinking. lager bores me - same bland taste - more so the uk. But ale with so many on the market, from established big brewing companies to the small micro brews, different tastes, strengths etc.

No hangover in the morning with ale. (unless you mix an ale session with cider) Just a glass of water, a good fry up and start again.

• Backroom

Are there any sort of safe recommendations? Obviously I don't fully understand the difference between beers. E.g: if a beer is 'hoppy', how can you tell? Or does this come with experience?

Are there any sort of safe recommendations? Obviously I don't fully understand the difference between beers. E.g: if a beer is 'hoppy', how can you tell? Or does this come with experience?

Just noticed your 1st post, the beers you have tried are rather bland, due to the fact the smooth is a creamflow keg beer, as is Boddys and John Smiths. Guinness is a cream flow stout, Hobgoblin is a more complex malty beer with subtle hop character. Bottled ales are usually a poor example of the same beer you'd get in a pub, due to what it goes through to enable it to be bottled.

You should try a beer thats dispensed via a hand pull, this will ensure you're drinking cask conditioned beer (which is what real ale is), Wainrights would be an excellent introduction to real ale, its nice and pale with a nice level of citrus flavour and 4.1% abv. Blonder beers tend to carry the hop flavour better, IMO 3.5 - 4.2% is a good strength. But, beer is very subjective, one mans meat.....!

If you go into a decent Thwaites pub with a bit of luck they will have Original ( a standard session-type beer), Bomber ( a stronger, slightly darker beer) and as 12miles has mentioned Wainwrights which is a lighter beer

Try a pint or half of each and you'll get a good spread of beer types and tastes which might help you to decide what is your initial preference

So many different ales and tastes though mate - you should enjoy trying new ones when you come across them. Many pubs will let you have a 'taster' before you buy if you ask - it's quite common practice, just helps you avoid ales you don't like. Failing that ask the bar person if it's light or dark ( or whatever characteristic youre looking for) if it doesn't tell you on the beer clip. Decent bar staff will welcome giving you advice

Just make sure it's dispensed from a hand pump then you know it's the real deal

If I go to a pub I have never been in. Which have beers that I have never heard of or tasted. i will start with half pint - though I know some places you can get third of a pint (Black Bull is one example) of each beer. There will always be a beer you prefer and others you don't. Personal taste, as in all things.

I did not want to say the beers you mentioned were bland - but somebody else did - and imo are correct. But a person new to ale will not know what we mean by bland. Until they taste a unbland beer. Only then will you know the difference. I have had beers that have had tastes of pineapple, mango, lemon etc etc, the list is endless. Oysters in a dark beer. but always watch and bare in mind (says he) the abv. Because some beers go down so smooth and easy. Stick to low abv beers - for awhile.

IMO and others may disagree on this. But a decent pub will give you a taste of the ale. But in most good real ale pubs you will always find folk who will share knowledge.

but I take notes of the beers I have drink. From the name of the beer, the abv and the brewry. I do not care if it sounds geeky etc - drinking beer is my hobby, if you can call it that. (though I was surprised at my notes from yesterday) Sadly a mates wife has been teaching my wife about abv and beers - she does not touch alcohol. She read my notes of yesterday - So arranged a dinner date tonight, with friends - with no beer.

A nice little pub to go to is in Great harwood. The Victoria. They had some nice beers in there when i went in, various tastes. It was obvious to me the folk in there love their ale and talking about it.

If you go into a decent Thwaites pub with a bit of luck they will have Original ( a standard session-type beer), Bomber ( a stronger, slightly darker beer) and as 12miles has mentioned Wainwrights which is a lighter beer

Try a pint or half of each and you'll get a good spread of beer types and tastes which might help you to decide what is your initial preference

If you go to the Clog and Billycock they actually cater for this with a wooden 'Beer Paddle' which contains all three Thawites beers to compare.

• Backroom

Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated. Glad I've got onto Ale so early. At 21, I have a good drinking life ahead haha. I tried to get a pint of Wainwright's in Bridgewater in Darwen, but they'd run out (gits). So far Hobgoblin is my favourite, with Thwaites Smooth 2nd and Guiness 3rd. Don't be ashamed of keeping that wee journal PAFELL, I'm doing the same now I've started :D haha. It's a simple 'like and dislike, w/ taste descriptions/reasons'. Not too detailed just yet, but I'm looking forward to this 'career' haha

Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated. Glad I've got onto Ale so early. At 21, I have a good drinking life ahead haha. I tried to get a pint of Wainwright's in Bridgewater in Darwen, but they'd run out (gits). So far Hobgoblin is my favourite, with Thwaites Smooth 2nd and Guiness 3rd. Don't be ashamed of keeping that wee journal PAFELL, I'm doing the same now I've started :D haha. It's a simple 'like and dislike, w/ taste descriptions/reasons'. Not too detailed just yet, but I'm looking forward to this 'career' haha

Forget bridgewater. Go around the corner to Bridge street. Number 39. Then you will learn the difference between Bland and non bland beers. They have their own brewy. Tyr lancashire Gold and Smokey Joe Black beer. Nice little place. Tuesdays they put food out, tapas type stuff and thursdays live bands.

Oh yes my 'journal looking good - unless wife reads it. Sorry to put a dampner on your favorite beers so far. But Hobgoblin, thwaites smooth - are bland beers. Others may not do, but I always set guiness aside - I do not drink it - or should say not done so for years.

Got told of a new beer coming out very soon. Two companies have got together to brew this - DARK STAR AND MAGIC ROCK. The beer will be called ROCKSTAR. Not sure of the abv - but bound to be over 5%. But will be good.

Forget bridgewater. Go around the corner to Bridge street. Number 39...... and thursdays live bands.

Been in a couple of times for the live music. Always busy. Believe they have a Belgian beer in there at something like 16%. Nearly went in last Thursday but it was packed so we went in the ICI club instead.

Been in a couple of times for the live music. Always busy. Believe they have a Belgian beer in there at something like 16%. Nearly went in last Thursday but it was packed so we went in the ICI club instead.

16% ? Dam must have misted it - hope they have it the next time I come uo that direction. They do have belgian beers - more expensive than their beers on the pump. They have a zimmrman strawberry beer for £5.00 a pint.

• Backroom

Forget bridgewater. Go around the corner to Bridge street. Number 39. Then you will learn the difference between Bland and non bland beers. They have their own brewy. Tyr lancashire Gold and Smokey Joe Black beer. Nice little place. Tuesdays they put food out, tapas type stuff and thursdays live bands.

Oh yes my 'journal looking good - unless wife reads it. Sorry to put a dampner on your favorite beers so far. But Hobgoblin, thwaites smooth - are bland beers. Others may not do, but I always set guiness aside - I do not drink it - or should say not done so for years.

Got told of a new beer coming out very soon. Two companies have got together to brew this - DARK STAR AND MAGIC ROCK. The beer will be called ROCKSTAR. Not sure of the abv - but bound to be over 5%. But will be good.

No need to apologise mate, that just tells me I have some damn tasty ales to look forward to hahaha.

No need to apologise mate, that just tells me I have some damn tasty ales to look forward to hahaha.

Oh yes.

The beauty of real ale, the many many varieties.

Tonight I will be having DARK STAR American pale ale 4.7% - this is still my favorite beer - but tomorrow is another day, so even that could change.

On saturday one place I went to, was the EVENING STAR in Brighton. Which is one of dark stars pubs. If anybody is coming down for the Brighton match, aim for that place. Very near the station. Welcomes footy fans of both sides. I asked if they put weaker beers on when football is on. I was told NO.

But for the adventerous go to the CRAFT BEER COMPANY - you only have a choice of 29 beers.

One for the diary - first real ale festival in Darwen at the end of Nov

http://www.lancashir...l_ale_festival/

Just seen that. Some interesting brewries. Hopstar and Jubilee towers especially. I met both of the brewers recently.

I went to a place you mentioned on here awhile ago, The Victoria in Great Harwood. A very good pub. In the beer bible and served some nice beers. I found it a very friendly place.

Just seen that. Some interesting brewries. Hopstar and Jubilee towers especially. I met both of the brewers recently.

I went to a place you mentioned on here awhile ago, The Victoria in Great Harwood. A very good pub. In the beer bible and served some nice beers. I found it a very friendly place.

Yes, the Victoria (or Butcher Brig as it's known locally) is a great pub. It's a listed building too, so the interior can't be knocked about.

Another great pub in the area is the New Inn in Clitheroe. Easy to get to on the train from Darwen or Blackburn about £4 return.

I was in there last night, always 8-10 real ales on and ever-changing choice too. Well worth a visit.

Yes, the Victoria (or Butcher Brig as it's known locally) is a great pub. It's a listed building too, so the interior can't be knocked about.

Another great pub in the area is the New Inn in Clitheroe. Easy to get to on the train from Darwen or Blackburn about £4 return.

I was in there last night, always 8-10 real ales on and ever-changing choice too. Well worth a visit.

I will bare that in mind next time I am up north.

Last night, my club got voted best club in East Sussex by CAMRA, due to the ale we serve. I did suspect we had won it, but others hid it from me. Chuffed to bits as a lot of work has gone into this. Humbled as, even though the club won it last year, before my time. To retain it, is a greater achievement. Been told we have won another award from CAMRA. GOT INTO THE GOOD BEER GUIDE FOR THE FIRST TIME. Only place to do so in my town for over ten years.

I should add, it is remarkable as the club is an RAF association club. Many old folk from the 2nd world war. But boy can they drink.

I love beer, drinking it, serving it and talking about it.

Last night, my club got voted best club in East Sussex by CAMRA, due to the ale we serve. I did suspect we had won it, but others hid it from me. Chuffed to bits as a lot of work has gone into this. Humbled as, even though the club won it last year, before my time. To retain it, is a greater achievement. Been told we have won another award from CAMRA. GOT INTO THE GOOD BEER GUIDE FOR THE FIRST TIME. Only place to do so in my town for over ten years.

I should add, it is remarkable as the club is an RAF association club. Many old folk from the 2nd world war. But boy can they drink.

Indeed, beer is so subjective that most if not all ale drinkers feel they have the ability to pass an 'informed' opinion. Most ale drinkers are passionate about it, (even though they might not realise they are),

Congratulations on the award, CAMRA's work in bringing ale to the attention of the masses is a huge help to the industry (IMO).

Getting a pint in the glass as the brewer intended it to be, is not a simple task, so much work is required to ensure the perfect pint. Your steward/landlord/cellar person must be congratulated, as serving ale correctly is a labour of love.

Indeed, beer is so subjective that most if not all ale drinkers feel they have the ability to pass an 'informed' opinion. Most ale drinkers are passionate about it, (even though they might not realise they are),

Congratulations on the award, CAMRA's work in bringing ale to the attention of the masses is a huge help to the industry (IMO).

Getting a pint in the glass as the brewer intended it to be, is not a simple task, so much work is required to ensure the perfect pint. Your steward/landlord/cellar person must be congratulated, as serving ale correctly is a labour of love.

I am training under him - I worked for free for awhile as I was keen to learn. I wanted a new career in something I am passionate about. At 50 years old it was a bit of a risk at first, but I love it. Plus I have done a few beer festivals. Although bar work does not pay much, moneywise. There are other benefits. I often say to folk looking for work, offer to work for free whilst you train for bar work under a good steward / publican. The training is the payment itself.

When we clean the pipes, it is not just a quick splash with water. We clean the whole area where the barrel will stand. Put the cleaner in the pipes & water until we are happy. Sadly some pubs leave the cleaner in over night. We do not. Instead we flush it through - even if it takes about 20 to 30 minutes in doing it. Worth the effort in our opinion. Good beer brings folk back over and over again. We encourage folk to try all the different beers, by selling a third of a pint for 90p.

We are very lucky that our club is about 20 yards from the beach. So the cellar in below beach level, so naturally chilled, giving us perfect tempertures. The club, being an RAF club, that was very close to going under 18 months ago, due to only having about 50 members. Now has over 600 due to the real ale. It has been my opinion for awhile, that a for pub or club to survive these days, real ale is the answer.

Going to work is a pleasure. If I didn't work there, I would be drinking there anyway.

Same age as me and same passion for good ale. I've just left the industry (last week!). But I still drink plenty!! Line cleaning is a pain but essential as you know, as is racking, spiking,venting, hard and soft pegging. Keep up the good work, a good pint is often hard to find!

Congrats on the award Pafell, good to hear of someone putting the devotion in to their work to provide a quality pint.

Just got back an hour ago from a 3 day break to York with the Mrs

Fantastic array of pubs serving real ale and all within the city walls and easy walking between. There is also a local brewery - York Brewery - within the city walls and they do a wide range of great ales - I've yet to have a bad one

To top it all off, we stayed in the York CAMRA pub of the year for 2012 too ( good job the wife likes a bit of ale as well !!)

Wife asked me if I was ill this morning. She asked as I have not had a drink for TWO days. (makes a change of "Your drinking a lot these days")

Sometimes I take a few days off drinking (funny how she does not notice that bit) It used to be very easy to do. But since I started working behind the bar it is harder.

Strangley I have drank in pubs and clubs for years. Yet not really apprieciated the person behind the bar. There just another barman / maid doing an 'easy' job. But although it is not rocket science, it is not something I would consider as an easy job. Especailly when it is busy. Although to be honest, I get a buzz out of doing it.

These days I aprieciate the work that has gone on before the bar is even opened. The engine of a pub or club, the cellar. I would recommend anybody wanting 'work experience' to try cellar work. Since I have been learning it, publicans from other places I have drank at have said to me I should have asked them and they would have taught me also. This suggests to me that there are many pub owners who are quite willing to train somebody willing to learn. Offer to work for free, let the training be the wage. Could lead to a job eventually.

Archived