BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Real Ale

Many an away game planned around real ale - up here, Timmy Taylor's Landlord, lower buck in Waddington, nectar! Wainwright in the Waggon, New Inn by far the best real ale pub around, both Clitheroe - anything by the micro brewery Bowland Ales, Bashall Barn, does mean tour and taster sessions. Been fan since 16, lager just makes you burp!

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many an away game planned around real ale - up here, Timmy Taylor's Landlord, lower buck in Waddington, nectar! Wainwright in the Waggon, New Inn by far the best real ale pub around, both Clitheroe - anything by the micro brewery Bowland Ales, Bashall Barn, does mean tour and taster sessions. Been fan since 16, lager just makes you burp!

Better out of the top than the bottom!;) .... which appears to be a common characteristic of bitter drinkers.

Better out of the top than the bottom!;) .... which appears to be a common characteristic of bitter drinkers.

Probably a direct affect of the yeast in suspension in cask conditioned ale. Yeast 'excretes' CO2 whilst devouring the 'fermentable sugars' in ale.

I realise this isn't a real ale. But a great lager is Moosehead. Canadian roots. Really refreshing drop. If anyone gets the chance to have a few in London, there is a great pub called The Porterhouse in Covent Garden. It has a massive lager menu, with about 50-60 variaties from around the world. Well worth a visit if you're passing.

[/quote

Another great Canadian bottled lager is "La Fin Du Monde", If you don't enjoy that there's no hope for you.

Hmmm, beer is extremely subjective, just read this 'Real Ale' thread. I tend to accept that people like what they like. There's no accounting for taste!

The idea that Real Ale is for older people is a myth. As Uni students we have plenty of time to seek out good drinks and Real Ale wins every time, especially against lagers like Fosters, Carling etc. It does tend to be slightly more expensive but it's a price worth paying. Beer festivals are the Holy Grail.

P.S. If we are throwing the stereotypres around, lager drinkers here are considered soft fairies.

Lager can be good if the situation warrants it, like when it's hot (especially Heineken, Peroni, Kronenbourg etc).

The idea that Real Ale is for older people is a myth. As Uni students we have plenty of time to seek out good drinks and Real Ale wins every time, especially against lagers like Fosters, Carling etc. It does tend to be slightly more expensive but it's a price worth paying. Beer festivals are the Holy Grail.

P.S. If we are throwing the stereotypres around, lager drinkers here are considered soft fairies.

Lager can be good if the situation warrants it, like when it's hot (especially Heineken, Peroni, Kronenbourg etc).

Beware...... Kronenberg is not for lads. Better for you young uns to stick to your 3.odd session beers. You have been warned. ;)

First things first don't buy any lagers 1) That are made by English breweries, 2) Brewed in Australia. Whenever I've drunk Aussie lagers for the first time in my life I've felt sorry for the Aussies ! These are all fizzy pop.

The two pubs I frequent mostly sell the following on draught- " Amstell " (crap), " Perroni " ( OK but overpriced ), " Leffe Blonde " ( If you don't enjoy this I'll be amazed ) " Hoegaarden " ( expensive but a good drink ) " Becks Vier " ( OK but a bit weak ). They both have a very large range of Continental bottled lagers. One of them sold the best " Stella " in the whole of the North West but the landlord in his wisdom got rid of it. Me and a pal of mine frequent the Bridge Inn in Ripponden from time to time and they sell a lager called " Flensburger " on draught that's a lovely flavoursome drink yet only 4%.

You're correct in thinking some lagers are fizzy pop in fact most of the commonly sold ones are, but not all of them fit that lable.

On the subject of bottled lager try " Pilsner Urquell ", " Budweiser Budvar " or " Erdinger Weissbrau " they're all top quality.

Yeah Moretti's a nice drink, they sell big bottles (600 cls?) of that in Weatherspoons quite cheaply.

On a whim saw some bottles of Leffe Blonde on sale in Tescos and thought I would give it a try. I've never seen bottles of ale with foil and a wire cage over the top of a cork before as you would find on a bottle of champagne.

On drinking the beer it was delicious and fell asleep after three pints although working some late shifts recently may have helped this.

I can definitely recommend this beer, as above you can find it at Tescos

First things first don't buy any lagers 1) That are made by English breweries, 2) Brewed in Australia. Whenever I've drunk Aussie lagers for the first time in my life I've felt sorry for the Aussies ! These are all fizzy pop.

The two pubs I frequent mostly sell the following on draught- " Amstell " (crap), " Perroni " ( OK but overpriced ), " Leffe Blonde " ( If you don't enjoy this I'll be amazed ) " Hoegaarden " ( expensive but a good drink ) " Becks Vier " ( OK but a bit weak ). They both have a very large range of Continental bottled lagers. One of them sold the best " Stella " in the whole of the North West but the landlord in his wisdom got rid of it. Me and a pal of mine frequent the Bridge Inn in Ripponden from time to time and they sell a lager called " Flensburger " on draught that's a lovely flavoursome drink yet only 4%.

You're correct in thinking some lagers are fizzy pop in fact most of the commonly sold ones are, but not all of them fit that lable.

On the subject of bottled lager try " Pilsner Urquell ", " Budweiser Budvar " or " Erdinger Weissbrau " they're all top quality.

Yeah Moretti's a nice drink, they sell big bottles (600 cls?) of that in Weatherspoons quite cheaply.

I hope you are not categorizing Leffe blond and Hoegaarden as lagers, are you?

Lefe Blond is a Belgian abbey beer(blond ale) and Hoegaarden is a witbeer and they don't have anything with lagers to do.

Nowadays its quite easy to get hold of "cask ales" in both Stockholm and Helsinki(where i will soon move to) and here is a small list of my faves:

Double MM Mild (Mole´s brewery)

Broadguage Bitter(Cottage brewing)

Mild Cheddar(Cheddar ales)

Stop drinking the evil lagers and support the real ales! :rolleyes:

On a whim saw some bottles of Leffe Blonde on sale in Tescos and thought I would give it a try. I've never seen bottles of ale with foil and a wire cage over the top of a cork before as you would find on a bottle of champagne.

On drinking the beer it was delicious and fell asleep after three pints although working some late shifts recently may have helped this.

3 pints ? No wonder you fell asleep !

I hope you are not categorizing Leffe blond and Hoegaarden as lagers, are you?

Lefe Blond is a Belgian abbey beer(blond ale) and Hoegaarden is a witbeer and they don't have anything with lagers to do.

Nowadays its quite easy to get hold of "cask ales" in both Stockholm and Helsinki(where i will soon move to) and here is a small list of my faves:

Double MM Mild (Mole´s brewery)

Broadguage Bitter(Cottage brewing)

Mild Cheddar(Cheddar ales)

Stop drinking the evil lagers and support the real ales! :rolleyes:

You're right about leffe and hoegaarden, they're not really lagers . I merely mentioned them as an alternative to traditional ales. There's nothing evil about a good lager, a pal of mine is a real ale buff but even he had to admit the late, much lamented " Stella Artois " in our local was out of this world.

Not really a fan of Leffe. I'd rather quaff a pint than sip a half. Leffe is too strong and carries an aftertaste imo (btw I once spent an evening drinking a blackcurrent version). However if you like a strong lager without a heavy taste the Carslberg Elephant Beer is as good as it gets imo.

My current favorite brewry has to be DARK STAR www.darkstarbrewing.co.uk - . Yet to have a bad beer from them. HOPHEAD & AMERICAN PALE ALE both brilliant. Though I often wish HOPHEAD was stronger than than it currently is.

Not really a fan of Leffe. I'd rather quaff a pint than sip a half. Leffe is too strong and carries an aftertaste imo (btw I once spent an evening drinking a blackcurrent version). However if you like a strong lager without a heavy taste the Carslberg Elephant Beer is as good as it gets imo.

Elephant beer was my downfall. It's a long story but I met my second wife over a few bottles of elephant beer.

copied from a Whalley Wine shop email.......

"Bottled Real Ales. Although we don’t advocate supermarket shopping we quite like EH Booths and their ‘60 Beers for 60 Years’ Jubilee campaign supporting British bottled beers. It got us to counting how many different real ales we have in our range now. We currently stock 87 British real ales with lots of local ales including Saltaire Brewery real ales from Shipley which arrived in-store this week and Prospect Brewery Beers from Wigan which are arriving in-store next week! We also have Moorhouses 2 bottle gift packs, Bowland Brewery 3 bottle gift packs, and Bowland Brewery mini kegs too! Plus 28 different bottled ciders! You don’t always have to go to a supermarket to get great choice."

copied from a Whalley Wine shop email.......

"Bottled Real Ales. Although we don’t advocate supermarket shopping we quite like EH Booths and their ‘60 Beers for 60 Years’ Jubilee campaign supporting British bottled beers. It got us to counting how many different real ales we have in our range now. We currently stock 87 British real ales with lots of local ales including Saltaire Brewery real ales from Shipley which arrived in-store this week and Prospect Brewery Beers from Wigan which are arriving in-store next week! We also have Moorhouses 2 bottle gift packs, Bowland Brewery 3 bottle gift packs, and Bowland Brewery mini kegs too! Plus 28 different bottled ciders! You don’t always have to go to a supermarket to get great choice."

Interesting. Do moorhouse have a beer called PENDLE PRIDE or PRIDE OF PENDLE. Whatever the name, I had it recently in a pub in east sussex. Nice beer. Though I still prefer beers from DARK STAR brewry. Had NIPA last night from Northiam brewry - not bad.

Just one? Amazing display of willpower Colin. First pint of that fine rain lasts me about a minute and a half!

Noooooo! Fine rain was only intended as an Apr-Jun brew and Thwaites have taken it out of one of my locals! :wstu:

Replaced it with another 'temp' called 'whet your whistle' I think. Tastes OK but not as good as Fine rain and unfortunately at 4.6% it's a touch too strong for quaffing .

All good things come to an end I suppose. :(

Was in Cornwall last week, crap weather but nice pints of St Austell Tribute and Sharp's Doom Bar made it more tolerable.

I was.drinking doombar last night. This is a nice beer. Keep an eye out for N.I.P.A by northiam brewry 5%. Though it packs a punch. Feels more like 6%. £2.60 a pint in my club. That price not bad for south coast.

Noooooo! Fine rain was only intended as an Apr-Jun brew and Thwaites have taken it out of one of my locals! :wstu:

Replaced it with another 'temp' called 'whet your whistle' I think. Tastes OK but not as good as Fine rain and unfortunately at 4.6% it's a touch too strong for quaffing .

All good things come to an end I suppose. :(

4.6 is too strong for quaffing ? You must be a lightweight, or a southern softy.

4.6 is too strong for quaffing ? You must be a lightweight, or a southern softy.

Tory voter, which amounts to the same thing.

Anyone tried Arbor Ale, from Bristol. American Brown at 5.0 packs a punch.

Hick.

Archived