BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Real Ale

Anyone in the Great Harwood vicinity, The Victoria pub's annual beer festival starts tomorrow.

It's on Thurs, Fri and Sat

Only a smallish do of 20-30 ales but always a great variety and quality

Hope all goes well with your Beer Festival.

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moorhouses, one of the few good things to come out of Burnley

The other thing is the road out of Burnley.

Anybody tried the number 39 on Bridge street in darwen? Heard they brew their own. They are in the good beer guide.

The other thing is the road out of Burnley.

Anybody tried the number 39 on Bridge street in darwen? Heard they brew their own. They are in the good beer guide.

I believe it's the 'tap' for Hopstar brewery.

I believe it's the 'tap' for Hopstar brewery.

Yes it is. Been asked to do a write up about them, the beers etc etc for a friends beer blog. As well as the Black Bull in Tocholes and the feildems arms. Trying to find folks opinions on these places first. Before i visit them myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone in the Great Harwood vicinity, The Victoria pub's annual beer festival starts tomorrow.

It's on Thurs, Fri and Sat

Only a smallish do of 20-30 ales but always a great variety and quality

Piad a visit to the victoria on Thursday 25th october. good pub and good different ales.

Came up to Blackburn last week. Trip had two reasons. football, rovers v sheff wed & watford.

I was also asked by a friend to look at some pubs that are in this years good beer guide. Also by camra to have a look at some pubs, not in, but desire to be in, the good beer guide.

I cannot name the ones not in the guide, for obvious reasons.

But the others were Number 39 in Darwen. Their first year in the guide.

The Black Bull in Tocholes.

The Felidem Arms in Feniscoles

The Victoria in Great Harwood.

I went to each of these pubs on thursday 25th october.

Number 39 and the black bull brew their own beers. Personal opinion, although the beer that Black Bull do are good, I found number 39 to be better - easier to get to as well.

Because of the location of the Black Bull, a few mates in a taxi to get there (especially at night) I think folk would have a very good time there.

Two beers I liked at number 39 were SMOKEY JOE BLACK BEER & LANCASHIRE GOLD. This is not your typical pub. Tuesdays is like a tapas evening. they put out chillies and peppers on the bar and a few bread snacks for free. Which go down very well with the beers. At £2.00 a pint, cannot argue with that.

As well as their own beer they do some belgian ones also.

Sadly none of the beers were over 5% in any of the pubs I went to.

Tried thwaites 95. An ok beer, more than drinkable session beer, but nothing special to me taste wise. But I do prefer a high % beers.

The Victoria in Gt Harwood is a very good pub. They clearly love their real ale. Well worth a visit.

A decent phone app to download is the' good beer guide mobile version'. sadly not free, £4.95 a year. But came in very handy when trying to locate places, beers, brewers.

Came up to Blackburn last week. Trip had two reasons. football, rovers v sheff wed & watford.

I was also asked by a friend to look at some pubs that are in this years good beer guide. Also by camra to have a look at some pubs, not in, but desire to be in, the good beer guide.

I cannot name the ones not in the guide, for obvious reasons.

But the others were Number 39 in Darwen. Their first year in the guide.

The Black Bull in Tocholes.

The Felidem Arms in Feniscoles

The Victoria in Great Harwood.

I went to each of these pubs on thursday 25th october.

Number 39 and the black bull brew their own beers. Personal opinion, although the beer that Black Bull do are good, I found number 39 to be better - easier to get to as well.

Because of the location of the Black Bull, a few mates in a taxi to get there (especially at night) I think folk would have a very good time there.

Two beers I liked at number 39 were SMOKEY JOE BLACK BEER & LANCASHIRE GOLD. This is not your typical pub. Tuesdays is like a tapas evening. they put out chillies and peppers on the bar and a few bread snacks for free. Which go down very well with the beers. At £2.00 a pint, cannot argue with that.

As well as their own beer they do some belgian ones also.

Sadly none of the beers were over 5% in any of the pubs I went to.

Tried thwaites 95. An ok beer, more than drinkable session beer, but nothing special to me taste wise. But I do prefer a high % beers.

The Victoria in Gt Harwood is a very good pub. They clearly love their real ale. Well worth a visit.

A decent phone app to download is the' good beer guide mobile version'. sadly not free, £4.95 a year. But came in very handy when trying to locate places, beers, brewers.

What is the attraction to ales over 5% Paffel? Also, did you manage to visit the 'Great northern beer festival' in Manchester while you were up North?

What is the attraction to ales over 5% Paffel? Also, did you manage to visit the 'Great northern beer festival' in Manchester while you were up North?

I would not say an attraction, just my preference, maybe because my tolerance level has increased over time. Though I also like under 5% beers, for example hophead from dark star is under 4%.

sadly did not get to any beer festivals. Came up with my wife on the tuesday. Football at ewood on weds & sat. So it left me with a few beers on weds, sat & sun. Thursday was my main drinking day. Sunday rain and rain.

If rovers were not playing in the saturday, rawtenstall (sp) beer fest was also on.

To be honest i can drink beer from all strengths.

I do not believe you can judge a beer on just a sip. Minimum of half pint, bearing in mind of what you have just drunk. As that taste lingers for awhile.

I am not one of those who will judge a person for the ale they drink. Personal taste etc etc. I just enjoy beer.

I am fortunate that I am paid for my opinion on beer. ironically I used to be paid for trying wine for certain markets. But I prefer beer, good beer.

Beer, micro breweries is my attraction.

I completely agree with your tasting of beers, drinking a well hopped beer conditions the taste buds and affects the next beer you drink so your minimum of half a pint is right IMO. When you say micro brewery beers, do you mean well hopped beers or beers brewed by the non mainstream breweries?

I must admit to steering away from anything over 4.2%, my preference would be between 3.7% and 4% and probably a blond or gold colour although I will drink drink darker beers as long as there is a hop evident.

I completely agree with your tasting of beers, drinking a well hopped beer conditions the taste buds and affects the next beer you drink so your minimum of half a pint is right IMO. When you say micro brewery beers, do you mean well hopped beers or beers brewed by the non mainstream breweries?

I must admit to steering away from anything over 4.2%, my preference would be between 3.7% and 4% and probably a blond or gold colour although I will drink drink darker beers as long as there is a hop evident.

Micro brewery, as in new and up and coming brewers. Such as Hopstar & Jubilee tower in Darwen for example.

I also prefer my light ales. But I must admit Hopstar has one of the best dark beers I have had. Not strong either. Although drinking beers over 4.2% can sometimes mean a short session. But who says you have to have a pint. If I go around various pubs like I did last week. I am quite happy to have a half pint. Infact when I went to the Black Bull, you could buy a third of a pint. this was good as it allowed you to try all the different beers.

Last Tuesday when I went to Number 39 I started with half pints of each of their beers. But knowing I wasn't going anywhere else that night. I had pints of the ones I prefered. Infact I stayed on their SMOKEY JOE BLACK BEER. A fantastic beer.

I do not know if you are coming down for the Brighton match. But I recommend going to the EVENING STAR in Brighton. A dark star pub. If you like your hopped beers, then you will love it. Their website is www.darkstarbrewing.co.uk

Micro brewery, as in new and up and coming brewers. Such as Hopstar & Jubilee tower in Darwen for example.

I also prefer my light ales. But I must admit Hopstar has one of the best dark beers I have had. Not strong either. Although drinking beers over 4.2% can sometimes mean a short session. But who says you have to have a pint. If I go around various pubs like I did last week. I am quite happy to have a half pint. Infact when I went to the Black Bull, you could buy a third of a pint. this was good as it allowed you to try all the different beers.

Last Tuesday when I went to Number 39 I started with half pints of each of their beers. But knowing I wasn't going anywhere else that night. I had pints of the ones I prefered. Infact I stayed on their SMOKEY JOE BLACK BEER. A fantastic beer.

I do not know if you are coming down for the Brighton match. But I recommend going to the EVENING STAR in Brighton. A dark star pub. If you like your hopped beers, then you will love it. Their website is www.darkstarbrewing.co.uk

Ah, I understand. The only difference between a micro brewery and a brewery is the amount of hectolitres they brew a year, that's what I was struggling to understand. There are certainly many micro breweries springing up, I believe the total breweries in the country topped the 1000 mark this year. That's a lot! I believe that beer has never been as good as it is at the moment, and its certainly made the established breweries sit up and review their business.

Indeed so. The now discontinued Thwaites Fine Rain was about as good as it gets.. even knocked Wainwrights of it's perch in my estimation.

Indeed so. The now discontinued Thwaites Fine Rain was about as good as it gets.. even knocked Wainwrights of it's perch in my estimation.

I will find out if it's discontinued. It may be a 'seasonal' beer that they start to brew again next April (ish). Moorhouses White Witch knocks Wainrights into a cocked hat for me, and that won't be brewed again until next April.

Edit: Fine Rain will be available again from around Feb. I'm reliably informed.

Must admit that fine rain was a good beer. The 95 at Blues bar is not a bad session beer.

anybody coming down to the palace match, may find Harveys on sale. One beer and brewry I dislike with a passion.

Ah, I understand. The only difference between a micro brewery and a brewery is the amount of hectolitres they brew a year, that's what I was struggling to understand. There are certainly many micro breweries springing up, I believe the total breweries in the country topped the 1000 mark this year. That's a lot! I believe that beer has never been as good as it is at the moment, and its certainly made the established breweries sit up and review their business.

I think it has recently been said that brewing beer is at the moment the fastest growing industry we have. Some friends and myself have considered doing it ourselves. Not decided yet. we all like trying different beers. At the moment I think we just plan on putting together some beer trails.

On saturday I am going to meet somebody at the RAKE in Borough market in London. The smallest pub in London - bar only 4ft long. According to the beer bible - camra's good beer guide - it is supposed to be really good.

For ale drinkers you may want to consider downloading the mobile version of the good beer guide. Came in very handy for me recently. I needed the map on how to get to a pub. Costs about £5.00 for a year. But worth the price.

I will find out if it's discontinued. It may be a 'seasonal' beer that they start to brew again next April (ish). Moorhouses White Witch knocks Wainrights into a cocked hat for me, and that won't be brewed again until next April.

Edit: Fine Rain will be available again from around Feb. I'm reliably informed.

There's a current Thwaites seasonal ale available called Crafty Devil. It's an absolute belter if you like a ruby coloured, full-flavoured ale

There's a current Thwaites seasonal ale available called Crafty Devil. It's an absolute belter if you like a ruby coloured, full-flavoured ale

Think I tried it last year, a halloween or seasonal beer. If I remember they put cinnamon in it (or they did with the first batch) which didn't appeal to me. There is no doubt that Thwaites have introduced some superb ales in recent times. Triple C was one I tried at the Great British Beer Fest last year, served by the head brewer himself. It was excellent.

I think it has recently been said that brewing beer is at the moment the fastest growing industry we have. Some friends and myself have considered doing it ourselves. Not decided yet. we all like trying different beers. At the moment I think we just plan on putting together some beer trails.

On saturday I am going to meet somebody at the RAKE in Borough market in London. The smallest pub in London - bar only 4ft long. According to the beer bible - camra's good beer guide - it is supposed to be really good.

For ale drinkers you may want to consider downloading the mobile version of the good beer guide. Came in very handy for me recently. I needed the map on how to get to a pub. Costs about £5.00 for a year. But worth the price.

Not difficult to set up at home in a garage,(or you maybe thinking of a larger scale which is a different ball game!!) I presume you would be 'all grain' brewing? Just try and find a local brewery who will sell you the ingredients at a reasonable price!

Not difficult to set up at home in a garage,(or you maybe thinking of a larger scale which is a different ball game!!) I presume you would be 'all grain' brewing? Just try and find a local brewery who will sell you the ingredients at a reasonable price!

To be honest I have not looked into it seriously yet. Friends want it more than me. I prefer the drinking bit.

Went to a place in Brighton yesterday (I was going to London, plans changed last minute) by CRAFT BEER COMPANY. Bit expensive as beers were charged depending on the strength.

Anyway it is basically a company that promtes good beers. Tried some beers from MAGIC ROCK High wire 5.5% and a stunning BEARDED LADY at 10.5%. Obviously did not have many of those for obvious reasons.

I was invited there as a quest. Brilliant day. There were two young women behind the bar. Who were not only extremely well knowledged on beer, but loved what they were doing. I risked saying it was refreshing to see this. They were used to such comments and welcomed it.

I then witnessed them tying a camra member in knots on their knowledge of beer, brewries, brewing etc.

Had Crafty Devil this week and enjoyed it. Enjoy most Thwaites beers now, they have improved over the last 3 years or so.

I do tend to seek out ales "smaller berwers" though. As mentioned, Three Bees and Hopstar very good. A shout out for the excellent Bowland as well.

Having said all of that, I still adore a pint of Taylor Landlord. Its been around for years, but always good.

Archived